Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 9:33:29 PM EDT
Since I'm not sure how many are going I am going to be setting up camp at Sand Springs Dry Lake just west of Rachel. To get to the lakebed go to mile marker 6.1 on Hwy 375.

For those coming from Las Vegas:

1. Go I-15 N exit the 93 offramp. (Not US-95, it's past the Speedway about 10 minutes.)
2. Take 93 for about an hour, go past Alamo (If you need gas get it here) and just after the tiny town of Ash Springs look for Hwy-375.
3. Take Hwy-375 (The highway begins here so you can only go one way).
4. Go about 40 miles and you will see the tiny town of Rachel, they have a restraunt so you can get food or drink and use the restroom if needed. Look for the Little A 'Le Inn.
5. To get to the camp area get back on Hwy-375 and go to mile marker 6.1 and turn right at a dirt road, the dirt road leads 1.7 miles to the entrance of the lake bed, you will see us there.

Some important things to remember about the area out there.

1. Fill your gas tank in Alamo.
2. Cell phones do not work out where we will be.
3. If you don't know how to get to the lakebed ask someone at the Little A'Le Inn, ask for Joerg, tell him your with AR15.com,
Joerg is a member here.
4. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! If driving at night do not drive too fast, Hwy 375 is open range and cattle are very stupid. The saying in Rachel is "They have tan ones for the day and black ones for night". The cattle walk across the highway and do not care if a 3000 car is coming right for them, it is like hitting a brick wall. If you have a passenger have them scan the sides of the highway up ahead for cattle, drive the speed limit of less, I'm serious. They are hard to see during the day, night is worse.
5. If your coming on Saturday we will either be near the camp or in Rachel, I will be wearing my AR15.com shirt, if you cannot find us try and find Joerg and ask him if he knows where we are at. I'm not sure where we will be set up a range to shoot. All brass will be picked up, the area out there is really nice and we will pack in more than we put out.

I'll post more info or ammend this if a good question is asked.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
We will try to get out to the camp site between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM Friday afternoon.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We will try to get out to the camp site between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM Friday afternoon.  

You will be the first ones there then. We won't have even left Vegas by then. If you have any problems finding it just ask at the Little A 'Le Inn, it will still be daylight as you get there so as you come up on Rachel just look ahead and to the right and you can see the dry lake. There is a place right before you actually drive onto the dry lake that is nice to set up on, you may see old campfires that were set there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Wolfpack.  We'll set up our trailer at the site you mentioned (old camp fires).  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks, Wolfpack.  We'll set up our trailer at the site you mentioned (old camp fires).  

Check your IM.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Bob, when are you going to the parade/Rachel Day festivities? Sounds like you're going out there early evening.
It's easy to spot me, I look like Drew Carey with tattoos.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bob, when are you going to the parade/Rachel Day festivities? Sounds like you're going out there early evening.
It's easy to spot me, I look like Drew Carey with tattoos.

All of that is on Saturday, we should be out there by like 8pm I'm hoping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
So, are you going to any of the Rachael Day stuff? I just want to work out the best time to get out there. If everyone isn't meeting until sunset on Sat, I'll do the show on Sat (probably better on Sat than Sun) and go check out Mt. Charleston on Sun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is what is in the Review Journal today about Rachel and this weekend...

www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/May-09-Fri-2003/news/21286808.html

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Hope to see some Pix posted to motivate my slug ass for any upcoming shoots etc.....one of these days Damnit!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hope to see some Pix posted to motivate my slug ass for any upcoming shoots etc.....one of these days Damnit!

You want pics, I'll give you pics!

It was very cold on Friday night, dipped into the 20's.

Guess who owns this truck?

My Great Dane "Reno"...campin' ain't campin' without dogs!

Tannerite!!

A couple of ARFCOM'ers..

Some precision shooting too!

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like everyone is having a great time!  Now I REALLY feel lousy for not being able to make it.  What a great looking area to camp.  I might have to check that out later this summer.  

I hope everyone appreciates all the hard work you did to put this together.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
We got back a little while ago and are in the process of cleaning and stowing gear.  If you did not make it you missed out big time.  What a great time!  Everyone was super helpful and friendly.  Even the dogs were happy campers.  The site was a perfect place to camp out and shoot.  Thanks Wolfpack for coordinating this.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that I have had time to relax a bit, it was a good get-together! I'd like to thank Eric for the Tannerite demos . Next time we will hopefully not have to deal with the cold, or at least I won't. What do you guys think, early October for the next one?

BTW....Boss-Monkey, where in the Hell were you?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like you guys had a great time! Too bad so much was going on this weekend in Las Vegas...the gun show, subgun match, Mother's Day. I just got a 9mm upper for my M16 last weekend so I'd have enjoyed myself, the company, and Mrs. Differents wonderful cooking.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome VegasSMG!  It's good to see you in the Hometown!!!  

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear you guys had a good time.  I went to the Cashman gunshow, sort of disappointing.  A lot of people buying ammo.  I bought a helical compression spring and detent for the lower receiver/stock and 2 USGI .45 ACP magazines.  I should've went camping those explosive targets look fun!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Name the date and we're there!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I made the mistake of having ears off when some tannerite went up. OOPS.

How many Arfcommers does it take to move  a hill?

Two. One to blow it up, the other to have his dog crap a new one.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish I could have met everyone. I met LarryG36 at the gun show. We ended up leaving later than I wanted to , and we only made it to Alamo (nice little town though). My right front tire was seperating and was ripped apart on the inside wall. I had a spare but no jack or iron. I finally got one and changed the tire. My spare is full size and in ok shape, but wouldn't have been able to make the road to the camp site. I didn't want to risk losing another tire in the middle of the desert. I was in Alamo for about an hour. We got done sometime around 6.

So, me and the Mrs. headed back to Vegas, stopping at the mine Wolfpack took us to before to do a little shooting. Got a room Sat night, got up, went to Bagels N' More for breakfast, call Wolfpack to find out everybody was gone before we even got to Alamo. I guess it was better to get stuck in a nice little town and spend some time with my wife, than get to the middle of the desert to find no one there, and freeze my butt off.

Name the time for the next one, I'll be there.

Went to the gun show, and while the price and the show sucked, I saw a friend who recently freed himself from CA. He's been wanting to transfer to Vegas for a year now, partly after his 11 yr old daughter shot an M60 and said, "Dad, can we get one of these"?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, and I'll save the stripper clips and bandoliers I brought for everyone for the next shoot. I'll buy new chips though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top