Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2021 7:16:59 PM EDT
You're fucking crazy! Seriously.

I just drove through Twin Cities in MN (well, around them on I-494, but close enough to be in the shit). How in the holy hell do you deal with this FUCKING TRAFFIC day in and day out?

I'm sitting in Farmington MN right now, my youngest of 3 granddaughters graduates high school in about an hour. Farmington is 30 miles south of St Paul down MN 52.

Tomorrow, my daughter and her family are leaving this "urban utopia", and moving to the U.P. , right on the shore of Huron Bay, Lake Superior. I brought my empty 6x12 trailer, bringing it back full tomorrow, to Eagle River. Then up to Watersmeet on Sunday, to daughter's cabin. Putting everything in her garage there.  In 2 weeks when she closes on her house on the bay, I get to haul the same stuff up to L'Anse. At least there's no traffic after we get through Wausau.  

I lived near Chicago for most of my first 40 years, so I'm no stranger to traffic. But I've been away from all that mess for 30 years....Thank God. It's extremely rare that I travel south of WI 64 in Antigo. Also happy this is my last trip to MN, no reason to come back now, and no reason to go south of 64 ever again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear ya. Live close enough to the cities to get their radio stations. The traffic updates always give me chuckle as 1) I remember living with that crap & 2) Only traffic we see here is from the citiots coming here like last weekend.

Southbound traffic was backed up for a mile out of town from the stoplight. I could imagine what 35S looked like. Probably dead stop from 694 to Rush City.

Glad to hear your daughter is getting out of the cesspool & moving to WI east. Beautiful up there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
only traffic issues I see are the milk truck and the school bus.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Am living in largest city in Washburn County.  Center of cultural diversity since we got a Mckie-d's.  Hell, we even got a micro-brewery now.  Way too much traffic, as we actually got 2 stop lights.  Lotta traffic last week.     Won't even drive to the cities, and don't care much for Minnesota in general, but ain't got family there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget farm equipment.   They are everywhere now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where I live in the northwoods it's logging trucks instead of milk trucks or farm equipment.

I guess you could say the local "crop" grown here is trees.

We get our share of traffic up here... from the tourists. There's now NINE! traffic lights in Vilas County, and 8 of those or in, or very close to, Eagle River. The other one is in Arbor Vitae (51 & 70east).
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Am living in largest city in Washburn County.  Center of cultural diversity since we got a Mckie-d's.  Hell, we even got a micro-brewery now.  Way too much traffic, as we actually got 2 stop lights.  Lotta traffic last week.     Won't even drive to the cities, and don't care much for Minnesota in general, but ain't got family there.
View Quote

Round Man is a pretty nice place with good food & brew. Their Mud Duck goes down way too easy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had an eight mile drive to school growing up, needed to time leaving so I wouldn’t get stuck behind the school bus I used to ride before I had my drivers license
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Smart people drop down through Red Wing and save the nightmare.

Drove semi hauling Menards junk to their stores in the cites. Now that's a fun way to spend the weekend. All the dipchits in there little cars cutting you off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Worked in Swillwaukee back in the early '80's.
It was pretty bad, cars broken into in parking lots, druggies wandering around, had to have security in loading dock area.
Was always glad to be heading out at quitting time.
Can't imagine what its like now.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Round Man is a pretty nice place with good food & brew. Their Mud Duck goes down way too easy.
View Quote

Been in it a couple of times, and it is a real nice place.  They even have a good tasting fake beer (imported), which is only kind i can drink anymore. It is a prime example of how people like to go to clean places, even in Spooner. It draws people from a fairly wide area.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Smart people drop down through Red Wing and save the nightmare.

Drove semi hauling Menards junk to their stores in the cites. Now that's a fun way to spend the weekend. All the dipchits in there little cars cutting you off.
View Quote

Here's the route I wanted to take. Exit I-94 at Baldwin onto southbound U.S. 63. (Baldwin to Hudson on I-94 is where the heaviest traffic started).
Take US63 down to Red Wing MN, then go west on U.S. 61 to MN 50.
Then west on MN 50, right into Farmington. It comes into Farmington from the S.E., and daughter's house was in the far S.E. corner of Farmington.

But I was over-ruled. US 63 passes through Ellsworth WI, and goes right past "Call of the Wild" Lab kennels, which has a US 63 address, south of Ellsworth. "Call of the Wild's Josie" was in the back seat of our Cherokee, and my wife won't let me get anywhere that place, or our family will grow substantially.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I was working in some really bad neighborhoods in Milwaukee for about a decade.  Glad to be out and running my own business in the suburbs now.  Commute is pretty bad, though.  Whitetail just don't respect the rules of the road here in town.  We're lousy with those hoofed rats.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 Whitetail just don't respect the rules of the road here in town.  We're lousy with those hoofed rats.
View Quote

Speaking of that... Apparently, nobody has been picking up dead animal carcasses on WI highways recently. Highway 29 west of about Thorp, and I-94 from Chippewa Falls/Eau Clare to Hudson was "paved" with dead animals when I drove through there last weekend. There were some stretches of road were there were 3-4 dead deer on the shoulder per every mile. On both east and west bound sides. No exaggeration when I say I drove past 100+ carcasses going to MN & back. Not just deer. Quite a few coyotes and porcupines too. And some that were undistinguishable... just a greasy spot with lumps of dried up guts & hair. Great times & easy pickings, for the buzzards or crows.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I lived in a county that would spread lime on them instead of picking them up. I guess they had no good place to dump them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I lived in a county that would spread lime on them instead of picking them up. I guess they had no good place to dump them.
View Quote

They could at least get them off the shoulder, where they can be a road hazard. All it would take is a pickup truck with a snow plow, running a route once every week or 10 days. Just shove them into the grass beyond the paved or gravel shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#16]
State boys used to paint that big orange X on them, but haven’t seen that in a while.

Seen a guy using a pickup to haul em a few years ago working 53 around Rice Lake/Cameron area, but that been it & I drive quite a bit all over western WI.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
State boys used to paint that big orange X on them, but haven’t seen that in a while.

Seen a guy using a pickup to haul em a few years ago working 53 around Rice Lake/Cameron area, but that been it & I drive quite a bit all over western WI.
View Quote

They did that back when you had to register a doe in order to get a buck tag to deter people from picking up road kill and registering them to get their buck tags.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Grew up in Orange Co, went to college in LA, grad school in Philly and med school in Detroit.

I scoff at MSP traffic

And yes, I hate it  and yes, it's a large reason I won't move back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top