Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 6:17:03 PM EDT
How many of us in the Milwaukee / SE part of the state are licensed hams?  Would have to look in to it (have my license but don’t use it much), but maybe we could set up an unofficial net on one of the local repeater systems?  I think there are at least one or two linked systems that cover a good area as well.

I sold off a bunch of my gear a while back and just have HTs, but am always open to help if anybody has questions or anything at least with the basics of getting on a repeater or simplex comms.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not currently licensed but frantically planning, reading, and preparing to make it happen asap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Central WI, but can access FM38 (and have HF).
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a couple of pretty much statewide networks in Wisconsin. WE9COM (VHF) and WI9WIN (UHF). The UHF network is set up along the interstates (Wisconsin Interstate Network). Information Here
The other network has information Here
It is possible to communicate with one another on these networks, but it is not private, everyone tuned in can hear. I am not sure if we could do a weekly net on these, that is something we would have to find out.
You can go here to find repeaters in your county and city. Here is another reference point for repeaters.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep - that’s obviously the downside to over-the-air comms - zero privacy.  An official net might be tough, but what about some semi-regular check-in times, taking any other discussions ‘offline’ in one form or another?  It’s also something people just getting in to it could take advantage of to test a few contacts.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Getting your ticket, and practicing on the repeaters, even participating in local nets is a good way to get used to using the radios, and lets you see where you might need to improve comms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep - that’s obviously the downside to over-the-air comms - zero privacy.
View Quote

Security through obscurity is perfectly legal, and 100% feasible (moreso on HF). oddball digital modes, random freqs off the beaten path (digital modes are legal on digital allocations; they needn't be on the "recommended" frequency).
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Just passed my general exam Saturday. Waiting for my call sign and license to show up in the DB. Been lurking on a UV-5r for a few months and just built my first 10 meter ground plane.
Ms. Wyatt is thrilled I have found another hobby to spend $ on  but I'm really digging it.
I definitely get a we9com signal out of Dodgeville (145.2300) and there is a pretty strong repeater in Monroe on  145.1100  

I'll post up a call sign when I have it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just remember, folks will be able to look up your name and mailing address. Some folks don't mind; others would rather keep their screen name and legal name separate.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just remember, folks will be able to look up your name and mailing address. Some folks don't mind; others would rather keep their screen name and legal name separate.
View Quote

Yeah  will at least try to keep it in the PM world.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just passed my general exam Saturday. Waiting for my call sign and license to show up in the DB. Been lurking on a UV-5r for a few months and just built my first 10 meter ground plane.
Ms. Wyatt is thrilled I have found another hobby to spend $ on  but I'm really digging it.
I definitely get a we9com signal out of Dodgeville (145.2300) and there is a pretty strong repeater in Monroe on  145.1100  

View Quote

I can hit the Monroe repeater from Western Lafayette County. With an Ed Fong Jpole antenna, and a 79.00 25w mobile. Antenna about 20 feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Dodge county here but can access Milw area repeaters, Wecom and Fm38, will have to try the Winnetwork.
Also have HF 6-80m.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Could .gov not revoke licenses?  Does China have ham radio?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Could .gov not revoke licenses?  Does China have ham radio?
View Quote

Sure they could, not sure if it would make a difference at this point.
China has ham radio operators, I talked to one during a contest some time ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Just get on the air and participate in some of the local nets to get an idea of how they operate as there is a procedure that works. You can run the 146.91 Saturday fun net for practice running a larger net. We can set up some scheds here for informal nets and get togethers. I'm in the Sheboygan area if anyone needs some help with HF or VHF-UHF.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been licensed for about 15 years. The milwaukee area repeaters are ok. The nets are often, gets you some radio practice. HF is still nice for the fun of playing with antennas and the newest digital mode. Wisconsin has a pretty great linked networks.

The biggest barrier to entry is the cost of HF radios. Definitely do tech and general in one sitting.

The ar-15 ham forum is very active and full of nice people.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congratulations!

My wife rolls her eyes when I talk about sweet deals I run across on QTH or some new gear I am lusting after. It's really a fun hobby.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I'm 3 weeks in and loving it. Starting a pile of parts in what will be my hamshack (aka basement) I have a power supply and mfj 8 way distribution panel. The Hustler 6 btv will be my antenna but it will be well into spring before that goes up. I need to start a thread in ham regarding that. I'm still weighing between and ft-991a or an IC-7300. I retired the baofeng for a yaesu ft3d and I'm running that on an ed fong jpole of my own construction.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm 3 weeks in and loving it. Starting a pile of parts in what will be my hamshack (aka basement) I have a power supply and mfj 8 way distribution panel. The Hustler 6 btv will be my antenna but it will be well into spring before that goes up. I need to start a thread in ham regarding that. I'm still weighing between and ft-991a or an IC-7300. I retired the baofeng for a yaesu ft3d and I'm running that on an ed fong jpole of my own construction.
View Quote

If you get the IC-7300 I will probably be asking you a bunch of questions on how you have it set up.  I have the radio, but still don't have a power supply, mic, antenna, cables, fittings, etc.

I am all studied up and looking for a place to test for technician.  Unfortunately none of the local clubs offer testing that I've seen.  The closest is in Madison.  I thought about doing it online, but it sounds like they are super strict with regard to your immediate surroundings; to the point where people were taking the test in their bathrooms to meet the "requirements".  Also, I know nothing about zoom or how to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top