Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 11:33:25 AM EDT
Anyone know what they are doing at the Shiocton Public Range.  I read that they had started work on it earlier this month but haven't been able to find anything in regards to what they are doing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
All I can find out is that they are using $27,000 DNR grant money and are getting money from the County.  Part of their obligation to the County sounds like a walking trail to the south.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully they put some type of road in on the 500+ yard rifle range to get to the end of it.  Not everyone has a 4-wheeler, and people get pissed when the range goes cold for 15 minutes while someone walks all the way down to hang a target and all the way back.

Not to mention it's usually a swamp.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully they put some type of road in on the 500+ yard rifle range to get to the end of it.  Not everyone has a 4-wheeler, and people get pissed when the range goes cold for 15 minutes while someone walks all the way down to hang a target and all the way back.

View Quote

I take it they took down the steel plate that they had hanging at one point?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
  <----googly eyes
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only been to that range once, spring of 2013.  The only steel plate that was hanging there was one that someone brought with them.  They were nice enough to allow myself and a friend to shoot at it though, which was cool.

Aside from that, it was BYO on targets.  Maybe they have a hunk of steel they hang out there in the summer?  Dunno.

I'd like to go back, but it's just not conducive to getting quality practice in.  There are other ranges that are much nicer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've only been to that range once, spring of 2013.  The only steel plate that was hanging there was one that someone brought with them.  They were nice enough to allow myself and a friend to shoot at it though, which was cool.

Aside from that, it was BYO on targets.  Maybe they have a hunk of steel they hang out there in the summer?  Dunno.

I'd like to go back, but it's just not conducive to getting quality practice in.  There are other ranges that are much nicer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been there since summer of 2012, at the time they had a steel plate hanging out at 500 yards, I usually drive to Waushara County's public range, much less crowded but it's only 200 yards and under.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Last time we were there, the Police Chief stopped by and we chatted for a while. I believe they are swapping the 500 and 200 yard ranges. There is a walking trail/old railbed next to the current 500 yard range and there have been rounds off that range. That will be the "new" 200 yard range. Then the current 200 yard range will be extended out to 500 yards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard from a Shiocton PD Officer at the range (during the Fall) that they were extending the long-range shooting berms to increase distance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can find the info provided by Shiocton (i found a PDF, but I don't remember where I found the link), it stated the 200 yard range will be changed to a 50/100, and the 500 yard range will be change to a 200/500.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can find the info provided by Shiocton (i found a PDF, but I don't remember where I found the link), it stated the 200 yard range will be changed to a 50/100, and the 500 yard range will be change to a 200/500.
View Quote

Shiocton Range Project PDF

Plans call for:

1. Closing a 200 foot gap in the main berm.

2. The current 200 yard range would be converted to a 50/100 yard range.

3.The 200 yard range will be moved to the current 500 yard range which will then become a 200, and 500 yard range.

4. Additional roads will help make the range handicap accessible.

I noticed on Shiocton website that the range is closed (except handgun range) until further notice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top