Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 12:23:09 PM EDT
I have a friend of the family looking to get an old shotgun fixed that he picked up from a pawn shop years ago.  The shotgun would not fire when he tried it.  I put in snap caps to test and the triggers do reset and I get a click for each.  I'm guessing it's worn out firing pins or springs issue.  It's pretty beat up and I did some research that suggests that it was made for early smokeless and black powder shells.  

It's an American Gun Company New York SN:1126XX Double Trigger SxS 30" 12ga

Anyone know of someone who could work on it to get it running or if it is even worth the money to do so?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a friend of the family looking to get an old shotgun fixed that he picked up from a pawn shop years ago.  The shotgun would not fire when he tried it.  I put in snap caps to test and the triggers do reset and I get a click for each.  I'm guessing it's worn out firing pins or springs issue.  It's pretty beat up and I did some research that suggests that it was made for early smokeless and black powder shells.  

Anyone know of someone who could work on it to get it running or if it is even worth the money to do so?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Flame's good people who can get that old shotgun working again.  

Mike
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I know two things for sure if your buddy wants to sell that gun:

1.) 99% of collectable gun owners/buyers do NOT want aftermarket parts in, on or with the gun.

2.) To reach the population who desire the gun and get the premium price it is necessary to contact a reputable networked and trusted agent who can get the most for your firearm and you will pay (not cheap) for his service.

I say this only because of the risk in using it (and other old firearms). Hope things go well, especially if you and your buddy decide to keep it.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1.) 99% of collectable gun owners/buyers do NOT want aftermarket parts in, on or with the gun.
2.) To reach the population who desire the gun and get the premium price it is necessary to contact a reputable networked and trusted agent who can get the most for your firearm and you will pay (not cheap) for his service.

I say this only because of the risk in using it (and other old firearms). Hope things go well, especially if you and your buddy decide to keep it.
V
OUT

He wants it for fun, maybe a little small game, or backyard trap.  Based on what little research I've done, it looks like he'd be limited to very light loads in the gun.  With how chewed up some of the stock is and that currently it doesn't work, I'd just use it as a rustic wallhanger.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT

He wants it for fun, maybe a little small game, or backyard trap.  Based on what little research I've done, it looks like he'd be limited to very light loads in the gun.  With how chewed up some of the stock is and that currently it doesn't work, I'd just use it as a rustic wallhanger.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss204/seandillonarfcom/agcshotgun.jpg

In it's current condition it is worth $100 or less. Some parts are still available for repair.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
*snip*

In it's current condition it is worth $100 or less. Some parts are still available for repair.

I sent him an email asking him how much he's really willing to spend to get it fixed.  I didn't even think to ask when he asked me to find someone that could fix it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
*snip*

I sent him an email asking him how much he's really willing to spend to get it fixed.  I didn't even think to ask when he asked me to find someone that could fix it.

I get a lot of people that want me to fix "grandads old XXXX". The first thing I do is value it for them and ask them if it has sentimental value and what they expect out of the finished gun. Unfortunately more often then not the guns that people bring me tend to be mass produced hardware store guns and are only worth $100. Or in the area. I am happy to fix anything, but usually (not always) the cost of just the parts will be 50% or more of the value of the gun. That said I am open with all of my customers. I don't hide anything. Even still I have had customers spend 3 times the value of a gun to have me make it funtional again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top