Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:39:16 AM EDT
If I buy a handgun over the counter with my CCW, am I NCIC check/cost and 48 hour wait period exempt?

Or do I have to go through the same process as before?

Thanks

V
OUT
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Even with a valid permit you still have to wait 48 hours and do the same background/ NICS check.
I hope this gets changed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, a carry permit means nothing. All handgun buyers must go through the same process (I think LEOs might be exempt in WI... not sure about that aspect). IMO, this was the biggest omission from Act 35. Having the valid CWL proves you've gone through the background checks successfully and you very likely already own at least one handgun... so the intent of the "cooling off" period is redundant. It's a dumb concept anyway... if someone has ill intent and can't walk away with an over the counter handgun, but they can walk away with a rifle or shotgun, what good does it do other than 'escalate' the firepower available?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#3]
agreed, needs to be changed to be put in line with other states ..

i also think the idea of a "universal" license/permit for CCW is fantastic, perhaps also allowing purchase in other states without wait ... but that would require more "electronic talking" between the states than they will be doing for the next 50 years .. funny how car dealers can find me an accord at any state in the country, but law enforcement/DOJ etc seems to have issues keeping info across a single state line ..

id LOVE to be able to drive to MN, IN, MI, and even the devil IL to buy a gun if there is a deal
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Did it a few weeks ago. Handed the clerk my drivers license and my CCW card thinking it might have changed?

The guy looked at me and said "Why do you people hand me your CCW, it makes no difference and I really don't care if you have one!".

Ok Pal. Thanks for your insightful response I said...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My FFL's pretty pissed they didn't include that in Act 35 as well...

Terrible oversight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My FFL's pretty pissed they didn't include that in Act 35 as well...

Terrible oversight.

I was hoping it was like when I was in NV.

It was nice not doing a check, putting your CCW # on the 4473 and walking out with the gun you just bought ten minutes later.

Oh well, just hoping...

V
OUT
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
It's because our 48hr period is a 'cool down' period.  Not just a background check.  Even if you have your CCW, theoretically you could still be so mad you have to go buy a new gun to do someone harm.

Wait, thats totally ridiculous.....but it is probably the antilogic used in the argument.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
That would be nice.  Some states allow that, but the more I think about it would make a CCW license morph into a FOID card.  

LEO’s can forgo the 48-hr wait if they have a letter from their Supervisor/Chief stating the firearm is for duty.  I did one handgun transfer that way and asked handgun hotline just to make sure it was ok.  It was right at store closing (9pm) and the officer looked kind of embarrassed.  Most LEO’s aren’t very friendly and talkative so I didn’t ask what happen to his other gun, but I couldn’t help thinking there might be a funny story behind it.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That would be nice.  Some states allow that, but the more I think about it would make a CCW license morph into a FOID card.  

LEO’s can forgo the 48-hr wait if they have a letter from their Supervisor/Chief stating the firearm is for duty.  I did one handgun transfer that way and asked handgun hotline just to make sure it was ok.  It was right at store closing (9pm) and the officer looked kind of embarrassed.  Most LEO’s aren’t very friendly and talkative so I didn’t ask what happen to his other gun, but I couldn’t help thinking there might be a funny story behind it.  

I don't think it would make it an FOID card simply by omitting the 48 hour 'cool down' period.  You can still buy a handgun without a CCW card...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did it a few weeks ago. Handed the clerk my drivers license and my CCW card thinking it might have changed?

The guy looked at me and said "Why do you people hand me your CCW, it makes no difference and I really don't care if you have one!".

Ok Pal. Thanks for your insightful response I said...

At the Gun store I work at.... I just say.......Very Nice CCW Permit, I have one just like it...... as I hand them the state & fed forms
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Well doing a NCIS check everytime you buy a gun is still a good idea.  You could technically get a CCW then commit multiple crimes and never have to go through a background check again, doesn't seem like a great idea.

48 hour wait period, however, seems silly for the many reasons already mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
As a side note, everyone should read through Act 35 for themselves. It's not complex, but it does get very dry at the part where it talks about retired LEO's getting a license.

I think you can also get this on a PDF or other electronic form that you can put on your smart phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top