Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 12:04:38 PM EDT
so for my 35th birthday this year im planning on getting myself a 1911 ...

im a revolver guy but ive always lusted after one .. and im thinking i may build it myself .. it will take time, i may ruin parts, and it will cost more, lots more .. i know .. but what better satisfaction than putting together your own firearm that you can keep and pass on when the time comes?

im thinking fusion kit to start with, and working from there .. but still doing research ..

are there any SE WI home builders that would be willing to "mentor" me or hell even anyone in WI that might be willing over email etc to help a guy through this process .. i understand the basics of guns and the basics of the parts, and i will be buying books to read up before i take this one on .. i am fairly confident i can pull this off

im 80-90% sure i wanna build myself .. i realize it will likely cost me $1000-1500 in parts and i could get a hell of a gun for that cash, but also think with a little guidance i can build a hell of a gun . i dont care about resale value because if i go through this struggle selling it would be my last move .. my only reservation is the cash and teh time but it will be good for me and i have 7 months til my birthday which may not be enough time, but will get me DAMN close

i do however know its tricky .. and has some areas that truly need more expertise than i can gain in a book .. and also know it will take a few hundred in tools (again another reason it would be great to find someone so perhaps we could share tools or lend them to each other) ... i also want someone to give it the once over before i fire etc ... and ill reach out to flamethrower for coatings etc ..

id like to keep it a WISCONSIN project if that makes sense .. built here with people from here and services from here .. hopefully buying some parts here too although its obviously easier and cheaper online

hell, maybe we could start up a small group of guys building one each .. that way we can keep each other motivated ..

any thoughts?

thanks guys/gals ... Richard (Todd)
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
agreed about the books and i plan to ..

the nice thing about the fusion kits is they come with the hardest parts fitted .. and if you want they will fit the few others that take special tools and the prices arent bad really ..

then it just becomes a filing/stoning and fitting afair which isnt too bad
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding Fusion. I'd stay away.

I think STI still offers pre-fitted slide/frame/bbl kits.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I built one last year. I used a RemSport frame, slide, bushing and barrel. I chose them because I liked that I was getting a forged frame and slide and they make their parts in house. I can email you list years price list if you'd like. The barrel required, from what I've read, minimal fitting and the bushing was already to size for the slide and barrel, I guess that's one of the perks of buying from a shop that makes their parts in house. I have the tools you'd need. I live in GB but come to Milwaukee occasionally to visit the inlaws. If I were to do it again, I think I'd just dump the money on a Brown or Wilson. You'd have a gun guaranteed and one I'd trust my life to, as well as my friends and family. That's just my opinion tho. My pistol shoots good, actually surprisingly well. I still haven't gotten her broke in and have used it more to shoot with a 22 conversion. I'm no expert at 1911's but will offer a few thoughts if you need any help. Just shoot me an email.

Eli
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding Fusion. I'd stay away.

I think STI still offers pre-fitted slide/frame/bbl kits.

Do tell; I've had nothing but great experiences with their parts and service, and have never heard anything but good things on the 1911 forums.  I will be using one of their kits for my next build for sure.  They also stock a ton of small parts and other kits as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I was under the impression that Fusion supplied parts for all STI's except the Spartan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top