Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:09:10 PM EDT
I was looking around the fox valley for a brass punch set. but i could only find a steel set that was full of punches that i didn't need. so were in the fox valley/green bay area can i find punches to build a AR lower. most specifically a brass set. i have the rest of the tools i need but the brass punch set is something i couldn't find at home depot,harbor freight or sears. any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was looking around the fox valley for a brass punch set. but i could only find a steel set that was full of punches that i didn't need. so were in the fox valley/green bay area can i find punches to build a AR lower. most specifically a brass set. i have the rest of the tools i need but the brass punch set is something i couldn't find at home depot,harbor freight or sears. any ideas?

The first one I did, I was excited and in a hurry ––- and believe I found Sears did in fact have a proper roll pin punch set (with the dimples) with 6 or 7 –– and on their web site you can check store availability –– but it ended up not being on the shelf as it said it was.  If I recall correctly, I found them at Ace –– but this was a big Ace down here.  I had tried other places –– harbor fright had punch sets but not the right kind.  It was an entire day of searching for tools as I was going to do it that night.  You want the right ones for sure.

I am of the opinion you don't need a brass set.  Of course, some of each would be good to have long term.  Take your time, you'll be fine.

If you have a Grainger up there, they may have them.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Midway has punch sets.

Ive used a nail in the past when I couldnt find my punch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
A nail you say. i know i can get them from midway but i was hopeing to go to a store pick up the stuff and be done with it so i can go home and build. and if i cant find the brass punch i need i will jsut have to pick up the roll pin punch and wing it with what i can find
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a set of roll pin punches from brownells. They are very nice.  Just get a few extra of the smaller ones as they will break more often.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Did you try Fleet Farm? I know they have nice roll pin punch sets, but I am not 100% if they have brass ones or not.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
the ones Fleet Farm has are not brass.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah they have a set of roil pin punches but I'm not to worried about that. because I'm gonna use a vise grip and a ratcheting clamp to get the roll pins in. so i might just end up taping up the end of a steel punch. just to get the job done
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Look in your local phone book for a Mac Tools (I'm partial to them because I used to be a dealer...) or Snap On dealer.  Or stop at your favorite mechanics shop and get the number from him.  I used to carry individual and sets of brass punches on the truck - along with standard and roll-pin punches.  Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll be working in your area or, if nothing else, you can make arrangements to catch up with him somewhere!  

FYI, they'll probably be more expensive than mail order but at least you can pick them up right away!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#9]

If you cant find any local and you want brass you should be able to get some brass round stock from the hardware store.

Also with that brass rod you can make a nice gun cleaning pick if you grind down the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top