Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 11:17:28 PM EDT
About the wholesale door-to-door confiscation of lawfully owned firearms in N.O.?

I haven't heard a peep out of them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent an e-mail to them as soon as i heard about what was going on. I got this as a reply:

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. Numerous media sources are reporting on an apparent campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others-the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal.  And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe.  Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones; especially when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help.  At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux.  But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly.  In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

Sincerely,

Amanda Millward

Basicaly they are gonna stay out of it till the dust settles gather a bunch of info and then maybe do something if the wood stock and walnut crowd wants them to. I am going to keep an eye on whats going on and if they start saying anything i will be sure to call them and support them doing something to preserve the 2nd and use this as a precident to create laws that will guarentee firearm ownership and prevent further regulation and maybe do something to advance a cause like nationwide CCW.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top