Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 6:38:46 AM EDT
I'm going to be abuseing testing a tacpoint as soon as it shows up, and also probably going to bring it and run it at the class(what better way to see how it does). So I need some ideas on some things to do to and with it. If ya got any ideas let me know. The results will be writen up and posted in the tacpoint test thread in the optics forum. I plan on doing some water related testing too, but not till after I have totaly abused tested it out and decided if it's worth keeping for use on my (I hope) soon to be purchased .22lr upper. So give me some ideas.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one for abusing testing at class as well.  We'll both have to see how it performs, and compare notes after class.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite is the "Box" test to see how accurate it returns to zero.  You know, so many clicks down, shoot, same number clicks left, shoot, same number clicks up, shoot, same number clicks right, shoot, same number clicks down, shoot: measure the track of the shots.

Do a torture test of the ON/OFF switch while spritzing it with water: click it 50 times ON/OFF while hitting it with a light-but-steady-mist.

Check to see how well its interior is nitrogen purged by taking it from dry cold to moist heat and vice versa.  I see an oven on loooow heat, a bathroom with the shower running, a freezer, and a cooler with icewater playing major roles in this.

Look at its dot in all the lighting conditions you can possibly come up with: total dark, bright light, parking lot with sodium vapor lights, moving from a dark corridor to a room with bright sunlight ("I cleared buildings with these"), etc.

(Do this last) Drop it from 4 feet onto its side - twice - then see what happens.

Hope some of these seem helpful!

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I tested my Aimpoint durability by consecutively tossing it over my shoulder  8-9 times onto a carpeted surface.  No problems, and no marring of the finish (why I chose carpet).
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool beans thanks guys.
El_Roto I don't know about a box test, I don't think it would be worth it with a red dot since you pretty much never mess with the adjustments once you set it. I do like the mist it and check the power knob though. I shoot in all weather so being able to work right in rain is important.

FMD, we'll have to get together and write up a big ol' review on them and post it. I'll snap pics and such as soon as mine shows up, should be today or tomarrow. The mounts should also be in today or tomarrow as well. I picked up a QRW with spacer mount off the EE so it should sit right as far as co-witnessing and such. This will be good though since two of the tacpoints will be run at the class I'm sure somone else will have an Aimpoint too so we should be able to do some good side by side comparisons as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top