Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 9:08:29 AM EDT
This was mentioned in another thread, but I'm re-posting it to urge you to take a moment to write your reps.
from wisconsinconcealedcarry.com

Concealed Carry Bill Introduced!

Yesterday, June 19th, Representative Scott Gunderson introduced the long-awaited concealed carry bill.

Before the bill can be assigned a number, it must be circulated by Representative Gunderson for co-sponsors. You can help Representative Gunderson by contacting your state representative and urging him/her to support Representative Gunderson's concealed carry bill. If you don't know who your state legislators are, you can go to http://www.legis.state.wi.us/waml to find out. If your friends don't have access to the internet, they can call 1.800.362.9472 between the hours of 8:45 am and 4:45 pm during the week to find our who their legislators are.

While legislative action on the bill will likely not begin until September, it's important that we start applying pressure right now.

The most effective way to make an impression on your legislators is to write them. Phone calls are okay, but it's the written letter that really carries weight. Emails are next to worthless for this purpose.

Remember, it's equally important that you contact your state senator as well as your state representative. Let your senator know that you want him/her to support concealed carry.

Once the bill has been assigned a number, the text of it will be available on this site.

Please forward this message to every gun owner you know.

Let's roll!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Have any of you seen anything writen in any of the newspapers in the state or covered on any of the tv stations? I just ask because i haven't as of yet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Photoman,
Do you think the liberal media would say something about this? Heck no, it might scare the sheeple.

Seriously, I too have not seen any coverage except what I got from Dick Baker.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
It's strange because the MJS jumped on it the first time it was introduced, hell they even did a story or three on the two cases in front of the state supreme court. Nopw that I think about it though, It's a good thing that they haven't that way those of us that want this bill passed are higher on the radar screens of the state polis as we have been writing calling and just being the preverbial sqeeky wheel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not much on posting messages, But I think this is a very ipmportant issue. please call or write your reps. to let them know how you feel.
I talked to my assembly rep. yesterday. He is not in favor but we did talk in depth about the issue. Can't hurt to let them know. Anytime you can talk rationally it helps the cause.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
wisconsinconcealedcarry.com has a link to a PDF of the proposed bill. Interesting reading. As proposed, Wisconsin will recognize permits from any other state. Permits will be issued or denied within 21 days of application, and any NRA safety reaining will be accepted. Military training will be accepted if the Sheriff feels it is adequate. The fee will be 75 bucks, and permits will be good for 5 years.

I really hope this goes through.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wisconsinconcealedcarry.com has a link to a PDF of the proposed bill. Interesting reading. As proposed, Wisconsin will recognize permits from any other state. Permits will be issued or denied within 21 days of application, and any NRA safety reaining will be accepted. Military training will be accepted if the Sheriff feels it is adequate. The fee will be 75 bucks, and permits will be good for 5 years.

Yay we get to pay more money just to exercise our constitutional right!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay we get to pay more money just to exercise our constitutional right!

Baby steps. It beats the crap out of what we've had up to this point, and is less expensive than most other states. Some of the funding goes to supporting shooting. Would I prefer Vermont style? Yes. Will I be happy if we bet this? Yes. Am I too worried about 75 bucks every 5 years? It's less than I pay for the right to drive the truck I paid for on the roads that I paid for. I'm not going to fret about it. At least they're not proposing more stringent and expensive training requirements.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
True tommy- the $75 it is now isn't that bad compared to other states, but in five years it will go up by at least $50. I still think the legislature should, hold a bit because the state supreme court has two cases to rule on. If they rule in our favor than the bill is usless and restricts us more than the vermont style we could end up with. But at least it's in the process of being sent through. oh speacking of courts got to take my trip to the site and check the case status
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
As soon as the WI Supreme Court rules in favor of Munir Hamdam, thereby making 941.23 unconstitutional, we'll have Vermont style carry instantly.  At that point I don't really expect MP Chief Jones and MC Sheriff Clarke to throw up there arms and say, "OK people, you won't be able to arrest people anymore for carrying a concealed weapon." (in fact I suspect just the opposite will occur)  - now things may be different in your part of the state - but the raw panic in the air of Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, and Madison will be palpable.

All this will do is throw our state legislators and senators into a tizzy and hopefully make them push a reasonable CCW package already on their floor, like the PPA, through rapido!

Personally, and I fully realize what an unpopular opinion this may be, but I find the PPA to be perfectly acceptable as it is currently written.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
True tommy- the $75 it is now isn't that bad compared to other states, but in five years it will go up by at least $50. I still think the legislature should, hold a bit because the state supreme court has two cases to rule on. If they rule in our favor than the bill is usless and restricts us more than the vermont style we could end up with. But at least it's in the process of being sent through. oh speacking of courts got to take my trip to the site and check the case status

Photoman, what site do you get case status info from? I'd love to know the status of these 2 cases.
By the way, your IM box is full.

TT

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
You can go to Zien's website at the bottom of which is a link to wicourts.gov

When will The Supreme's release their opinion on Cole and/or Hamdan???  Whenever their lazy asses damn well feel like it.

Here's how it works:  When/if our government servants are feeling generous, they'll provide the little people with a few days notice before they release their opinions.  Here's where you find out what and where:
www.wicourts.gov/supreme/sc_releasememo.asp

The ones coming up for release this week (July 2nd & 3rd) are not scheduled to include anything referencing the concealed carry law.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Photoman, what site do you get case status info from? I'd love to know the status of these 2 cases.
By the way, your IM box is full.

TT

Opinions can be found here www.wicourts.gov/supreme/submenu/opinions.htm

And the case status can be looked up here www.wicourts.gov/supreme/submenu/case_status.htm Look up the case by name, Phillip Cole or Munir Hamdam and it will pop up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As soon as the WI Supreme Court rules in favor of Munir Hamdam, thereby making 941.23 unconstitutional, we'll have Vermont style carry instantly.  At that point I don't really expect MP Chief Jones and MC Sheriff Clarke to throw up there arms and say, "OK people, you won't be able to arrest people anymore for carrying a concealed weapon." (in fact I suspect just the opposite will occur)  - now things may be different in your part of the state - but the raw panic in the air of Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, and Madison will be palpable.

All this will do is throw our state legislators and senators into a tizzy and hopefully make them push a reasonable CCW package already on their floor, like the PPA, through rapido!

Personally, and I fully realize what an unpopular opinion this may be, but I find the PPA to be perfectly acceptable as it is currently written.

Racine won't be that bad as far as polis and upper level LEOs bitchen at least it doesn't seem like it. Milwaukee will be nuts though and i'm sure their reps will be trying to get milwaukee exempted from the legislation. Which would be bad since 50% of the homicides that are commited in this state happen in 4 zip codes and they just happen to be in milwaukee. Ya figger this will make the city  a bit safer since the little freakin gangbangers won't know who the hell will shoot back at their sorry asses.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, if this turns out to be good news, do we want to consider a celabratory dinner in the Madison area????

The only time I actually met any of ya was the frozen nuts shoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok, if this turns out to be good news, do we want to consider a celabratory dinner in the Madison area????

The only time I actually met any of ya was the frozen nuts shoot.

Na, celebratory BBQ/shoot would be better. The best way to celebrate good news on the gun front is to shoot guns and hang out with other shooters.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
RELEASE OF SUPREME COURT OPINIONS

The following opinions are scheduled for release on Tuesday, July 15, 2003, and will be available on the court Web Site: www.wicourts.gov, on the morning of the release date:

CASE NUMBER CAPTION

#01-0056-CR State v. Munir A. Hamdan

#01-0350-CR State v. Phillip Cole
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
RELEASE OF SUPREME COURT OPINIONS

The following opinions are scheduled for release on Tuesday, July 15, 2003, and will be available on the court Web Site: www.wicourts.gov, on the morning of the release date:

CASE NUMBER CAPTION

#01-0056-CR State v. Munir A. Hamdan

#01-0350-CR State v. Phillip Cole

So, we’re 24 hours away from potentially having Vermont/Alaska style concealed carry in this state?  Fucking wow.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So, we’re 24 hours away from potentially having Vermont/Alaska style concealed carry in this state?  Fucking wow.

I hope so.

See this.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=195785&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Woo Hoo?

Hopefully this will provide good argument fodder to push the cc law through.

(assuming that AK/VT style won't be tolerated by our government masters)

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]
what are the chances of the court saying "the CC law stands as is?"
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
All the letter writing in the world won't do any good because our Governor will just veto the bill. It's doubtful if enough votes can be gotten to over-ride.

The only chance for a CCW law in Wisconsin is if Doyle get's recalled after he vetos the property tax freeze bill and the feces hits the fan.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
All the letter writing in the world won't do any good because our Governor will just veto the bill. It's doubtful if enough votes can be gotten to over-ride.

The only chance for a CCW law in Wisconsin is if Doyle get's recalled after he vetos the property tax freeze bill and the feces hits the fan.

So don't try because we might not succeed?

1) The recent case law handed down may well sway Doyle away from vetoing the bill

2) Getting enough votes to over ride a veto would be close, but a think 'doubtful' is a little overboard. That is unless we all decide that all the letter writing in the world won't do any good.

If you refuse to petition your representatives for what you want, don't bitch when you don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#23]
check this out for good memories to get you fired up

home.wi.rr.com/antigov/SenatorZien_020313.wma
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
check this out for good memories to get you fired up

That was really interesting. Sound quality was a little garbled and I didn't fully understand everything that was happening.

Amazes me the stuff you young wipper snappers can do with a computer.

By the way, I mail an average of three LETTERS a week to Legislatures, usually about CC.  Sending e-mails is personally gratifying but not worth a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
that was a recording of us getting hosed on CCW last time around

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top