Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2021 12:57:40 PM EDT
Taking a road trip including a drive from north to south on the million dollar highway in mid September. Any good national forest spots to spend the night? Ideally somewhere between Ouray and Silverton. Have a 4x4 and used to public land camping. Thanks for any ideas!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of spots.  If I am down there later this month, I'll try to get you some gps points.  It's very remote, so just about any forest service road will have spots.  Might want to check freecampsites.net

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Between Ouray and Silverton if you want to be close to the highway I'd recommend Ironton for dispersed camping.  If you don't mind getting off the highway and getting up a steep switchbacking high clearance road (I did it in a Grand Cherokee) and camping in a stunning alpine setting by s lake I'd go up to Clear Lake just northwest of Silverton.  An easier to access spot with limited spots is Little Molas Lake just south of Silverton. There's plenty of places to dispersed camp down there. Enjoy! That area is spectacular.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, thank you both for the suggestions. I have a 4Runner so hearing you did it in a grand Cherokee is helpful!
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Ridgway State Park is nice, might be too developed for your tastes, though.  Camping up on the hill is nice, great views.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top