Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2021 5:50:52 AM EDT
I've got two young boys I want to take camping soon. All the spots and areas I'm familiar with aren't exactly kid friendly. Too high altitude and too cold at night.

I don't want to take them to a curated lights out at 10pm place.

Just curious if someone could point me in the direction of a good area to look.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Any other parameters need included? ie.

Part of state

Nearby activities (fishing etc)

Primitive camping or facilities/electric needed

What temp is too cold for them? When I tent camp on Pike near Florissant it’s generally 50-55. That’s slightly on the cold side when you’re at 80-90 day temps but mostly because of sweating from sleep time layering.

Look at John Martin Reservoir if that fits your area. I have no experience with it only know it exists and may be close to your needs.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah good point.

I live in Denver area so something near I70 would be ideal.

I'm guessing 40 is probably the bottom limit.

No amenities needed. Just a place to pitch a tent and make a fire.

Some place by a lake or something scenic would be cool too.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a lot of dispersed camping in the National Forest near the Jefferson/Fairplay area. Only about 1.5 hrs from Denver, up 285 so you avoid that I70 traffic disaster.  In the summer it doesn't get too cold at night. I have 3 small kids, we go there every summer.  Just camped in that area this past weekend.

Do you have 4x4?  Not totally necessary but helpful.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Lake Dillon was always a good place when my kids were young.  Lake plus nearby activities if we needed to get to civilization.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Bear Creek Lake Park would be a good starter for little kids.  Established campground with facilities.  Not going to get cold at night like you are seeking.  Close in to town if needed and has activities for kids.

It's not exactly roughing it or getting away from things, but easing younger kids in to the experience, it'll get the job done.

The camping up at the Lake Granby area is a good way to start and has facilities.  It might get a little chilly at night, but you'll get a better "away from things" experience.

Snow Mountain Ranch, YMCA camp of the Rockies is also a good family friendly place to go up past Winter Park.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Much appreciated everyone! Ended up going to Red Feather to a buddy's cabin but I'm going to try one or more spots you guys recommended in August.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You might try Cherry Creek or Chatfield reservoir. Not exactly roughing it but can give you an outdoor experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top