Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 7:13:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
There are two KOAs over by Salida and Buena Vista that I would check out. Beautiful areas. If you can do without hook ups for at least a night, go to Twin Lakes. There is open dispersed camping on the southern part of the lake, and the views are amazing. I camped there at least three times this past summer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Will you have another vehicle or only the RV?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Park county off of county road 56 is our go to for dispersed camping.  Lots of various spots big enough for a travel trailer. We have a 32’ fifth wheel we take.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"open dispersed" = anyone can come and go?  I like the look of that area on the map, and it would be good to plan on a spot or two that every tourist isn't trying to visit at the same time.

Truck and travel trailer.  I should have been more specific.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are two KOAs over by Salida and Buena Vista that I would check out. Beautiful areas. If you can do without hook ups for at least a night, go to Twin Lakes. There is open dispersed camping on the southern part of the lake, and the views are amazing. I camped there at least three times this past summer.

"open dispersed" = anyone can come and go?  I like the look of that area on the map, and it would be good to plan on a spot or two that every tourist isn't trying to visit at the same time.

Quoted:

Yep, open and dispersed.  It will be very busy on weekends, but it is still a cool place to camp and easy to get in/out of.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what you like to do.  I agree with Buena Vista being a good choice because:
- close to Leadville/Twin Lakes for fishing/hiking/biking
- Not terribly far from Aspen for a day trip
- close to Crested Butte - super pretty, hiking, biking, neat town
- close to Salida for shops/hiking/biking

But, Rocky Mountain National park is very pretty and should be on the must-do list.  

With Covid, though, even dispersed camping mid-week has been full.  If things continue as they have been, you may want to keep reservations for your entire trip.  That area in Twin Lakes was FULL most of the summer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe I'll leave a day or two open in the middle of the week between the other sites to plan for that.  

There's nowhere to stay like that around us so I'm not familiar with having it in the plans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, open and dispersed.  It will be very busy on weekends, but it is still a cool place to camp and easy to get in/out of.

Maybe I'll leave a day or two open in the middle of the week between the other sites to plan for that.  

There's nowhere to stay like that around us so I'm not familiar with having it in the plans.

If you want a friendly face around, let me know when you plan to be there via email, and I would be happy to camp there but show you the ropes. I get it is a little nerve racking if you have not done it, but I bet you will love that area.  I camp out over 30 nights a year, so I would be happy to come up. I won’t even bother you and your family after getting you settled unless your bring imitation crab meat
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
IMO you should reserve as much as you can.  This last summer even the off the beaten path areas were full almost all week.  Fort Collins has a nice KOA and it is not a very far drive from Estes and RMNP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top