Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 1:59:44 AM EDT
Posted this over at the other local site too, but thought it was too good not to cross-post here.

Apparently those pesky new background check fees made it "impossible" to run that gun buyback up in Boulder.
I guess their biggest problem was trying to find an FFL they could pay to run the transactions through, and that extra new $20 ($10+10) per transaction.

-----------------------
Organizers cancel Boulder gun buyback at request of sheriff
Strict new gun law would make event logistically problematic
By Brittany Anas Camera Staff Writer
Posted: 07/23/2013 06:28:48 PM MDT

Organizers have canceled a gun buyback at the request of Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle, who said Colorado's new gun laws would make the Aug. 4 event nearly impossible to stage.

"The bottom line is what we anticipated doing would still be legal -- but procedurally we can't follow through with it at this time," Pelle said Tuesday.

A stricter law that went into effect July 1 requires buyers to go to a licensed firearms dealer and undergo a background check. The InstaCheck systems used in the checks are not mobile, which means they couldn't be used at the sheriff's compound where the buyback was planned.

"It's not a portable system," Pelle said. "It can't be done at the site."

Essentially, for the event to work, Pelle said the group would have to find a licensed firearms dealer to host the event and then pay the dealer per transaction, "which becomes very unproductive," he said.

Together Colorado -- a group that bills itself as a nonpartisan multi-faith organization -- had planned the event.

In an e-mail announcing the cancellation, Sheila Dierks said: "Sheriff Pelle has stood strong for this event, has done tremendous work to make it happen and he is as disappointed as we are."

Event organizers had planned to give gift cards or tickets to sporting events to people who turned in firearms. Students raised nearly $8,000 to purchase the incentives.

The idea was to collect guns and then immediately hand them over to the Sheriff's Office for destruction. Some of the remnants of the destroyed firearms would then be passed along to Boulder-area metalworking artist Jessica Adams to use for a sculpture aimed at creating gun violence awareness.

After consulting Deputy County Attorney Dea Wheeler, Pelle had concluded earlier that as long as members of Together Colorado passed required background checks, it would be legal for them to purchase firearms at the August buyback.

While he said he understands organizers may be disappointed, he said the "larger good" is accomplished by the background check requirement.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Weird, so they weren't just turning them over to the Sheriff's office?  I wouldn't think you'd need a background check to surrender a firearm to the police...  

It would make it more difficult to offer cash instead of the gift cards to those in line.  I always wanted to poach a nice gun from a buyback program like that.  Looks like someone was organizing a counter program to have background checks available to do just that according to this article.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In an e-mail announcing the cancellation, Sheila Dierks said: "Sheriff Pelle has stood strong for this event, has done tremendous work to make it happen and he is as disappointed as we are."
View Quote

LOL.  Oh, bullshit.  Joe Pelle disappointed me to my core by not signing on to the lawsuit filed by most of our other sheriffs but he's never been an anti (was a "shall-issue sheriff" even when it was county-by-county discretion, always signed off on Class 3 stuff, et cetera).  This *might* have rated a 0.2 on his give-a-fuck-meter.  I loved his original quote when this bullshit program was first reported - "I'm not sure it will help make any difference in regards to gun violence, but it's a chance to get rid of firearms they no longer want."  IOW, "Well, it's their money and I guess it's better than throwing old, nonfunctional crap in the trash."  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My dollar says EVERY FFL contacted told them to pound sand......

What makes me giggle is the "its not a portable system" comment. You mean every FFL that has ever conducted business at a gunshow wuz doin it wrong??
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
irony is funny
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dollar says EVERY FFL contacted told them to pound sand......

What makes me giggle is the "its not a portable system" comment. You mean every FFL that has ever conducted business at a gunshow wuz doin it wrong??
View Quote

FFL can only do a transfer at the licensed premises, or a  legit gunshow.   I guess the hang up is their plan involved non-ffl's taking guns from idiots.  Might just be a classic case of too many idiots...

Hey, I have a FFL, and will host a buyback if anyone wants.  The ATF specifically told me I can deny a transfer any time I feel something is wrong.  So we acquire a bunch of guns and then get a hunch that maybe they would end up in mexico instead of a sculpture in Boulder, and deny them the transfer.  And then Profit!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And then Profit!
View Quote

Just make sure you get your $20 up front
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top