Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:56:39 PM EDT
I'm calling this an idle thought because I'm broke as hell - mostly 'cause we just bought a plot of land up north . Nice spread and great price - $24K for 40 acres - but mostly because there's not a blessed thing on or near it. Good recreational spot and pretty nice hunting area but not exactly a place to retire on - windy, dry, only water to speak of is a couple of creeks running nearby but not on the property. We bought it primarily because it was the closest thing to affordable we could find.

Out of curiosity, anyone know of a place in the state more suitable for long-term living - maybe a small garden, a little better fishing - going for that relatively little? Since this really is a mental exercise for the foreseeable future, any spot in the state would be worth considering.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
i'd buy out east along the platte. land cost cheaper, less traffic. downside is less job opportunity and any job's will be low paying. weather wise tornado's, hail ice storms. not that you will not experience it elsewhere too.
want cheap land. go to neb. some areas are foreclosing at amazing rates.  
anywhere you can find decent prices with a low water table would be my suggestion.  give it 4-6 years and see what happens when kali and nevada's water runs out
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't suggest NE until they kick out the state .gov and redo it from the top down. This whole state is run from Omaha and Lincoln. Taxes are much higher than CO too.

I work in Lincoln right now, and it has been an eyeopener.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wouldn't suggest NE until they kick out the state .gov and redo it from the top down. This whole state is run from Omaha and Lincoln. Taxes are much higher than CO too.

I work in Lincoln right now, and it has been an eyeopener.

you're just saying that because you've given names to all the cattle along 80. BUT you also noticed which ones are calving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The general rule to me looks like the prices are highest on land near Denver & resorts.

You should be able to find some nice deals on the western slope north and also near Walsenburg.

If you don't mind the plains, land is pretty cheap there.

I saw where 80% of rural property transactions in Texas these days are hunting & shooting leases.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
canon city area isn't bad, but it's still a bit on the remote side of things.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can, look into the Western Slope along I-70.  Anything remotely near Glenwood should be a proper investment, the area is growing rapidly and there is plenty of water here, good job opportunities too.  Also a lot of great areas for outdoor recreation.  Get here soon before the Kommifornians buy it all up!!

--VT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top