Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2022 1:39:45 AM EDT
Last years thread got archived so new year new thread.

Craggy Peak. 9.31/2198

We'd originally planned to come up out of Wright Meddow but on the way up decided to try an older trail coming up from the south and hit blue lake on the way up.

Started out nice but quickly ran into deep snow and a lot of water coming down. We'd hoped with the warmer weather things would have melted off more.

Terrain was rugged and the snow 6-8 foot deep in places. A lot of it was eaten from underneath by melt water making this one of the more challenging snow hikes we've done. Not what I was expecting for the end of June.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking back down.

Looking up at the ridge the trail from Wright Meddow runs along. We couldn't find the branch to blue lake and it was slow going so we headed straight up to the ridge.

Up on the ridge we actually found a few yards of bare trail

Looking down on blue lake.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Shark and Badger I think. There's lots of peaks in the area and we plan on returning when things clear up.

Adams

Hood

St Helens

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice! I've been going to Blue Lake for many years, love that spot! A couple years ago we hiked to Craggy Peak via Blue Lake, and I climbed Craggy Peak. I saw a mountain goat about halfway up.

A couple pics from the top.

And a pic from the hike.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I need to get out more this year.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! I've been going to Blue Lake for many years, love that spot! A couple years ago we hiked to Craggy Peak via Blue Lake, and I climbed Craggy Peak. I saw a mountain goat about halfway up.

A couple pics from the top.

https://i.imgur.com/kztGWVh.png

https://i.imgur.com/d2zw61m.png

And a pic from the hike.

https://i.imgur.com/qHMIfgT.png

View Quote

@JackRebney

When you go to Blue Lake do you come up the Wright Meddow trail?

We came up the "trail" from the south (A). It wasn't really clear where it was at the beginning so we weren't sure if it was still maintained. Once we started uphill we hit snow and it was impossible to tell where it was and we were basically cross-country at that point. We cut across (B) to the road below Blue Lake (C). We walked back and fourth a couple times looking for the trail going up to Blue Lake but couldn't find it.

We cut down the westward facing slope of the draw to get on a logging road (D) to get back. A lot less snow and good elk trails to get down. We were thinking of coming from the Wright Meddow side next time. Seems like a gradual ascent and we should be able to get to Craggy Peak without getting burned out and be able to explore beyond.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
@GreenMushroom

We always park at the end of the 9331 road and hike in there, go around the back side of the lake and hook up with the Craggy Peak trail. In mid July 2010 there was quite a bit of snow on the ground and we had to hike in the last couple miles of the road before the trail started, I'm very familiar with the trail but with snow on the ground it's very hard to find your way to Blue Lake without a GPS so I totally get where you're coming from.

This was our route.

Crappy pics from mid July 2010 at Blue Lake. I think that's the last time I remember the waterfall still running when I've been there.

This was the little pond behind the lake.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Beautiful pictures, wish I had both my feet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Replied to wrong post, beautiful pictures.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@GreenMushroom

We always park at the end of the 9331 road and hike in there, go around the back side of the lake and hook up with the Craggy Peak trail. In mid July 2010 there was quite a bit of snow on the ground and we had to hike in the last couple miles of the road before the trail started, I'm very familiar with the trail but with snow on the ground it's very hard to find your way to Blue Lake without a GPS so I totally get where you're coming from.

This was our route.

https://i.imgur.com/GhpEDmn.png

Crappy pics from mid July 2010 at Blue Lake. I think that's the last time I remember the waterfall still running when I've been there.

https://i.imgur.com/563TYmL.png

https://i.imgur.com/AXuOB2x.png

This was the little pond behind the lake.

https://i.imgur.com/O6EfLKD.png
View Quote

Thanks. We're new to that area so didn't realize you could drive up that road. Going to do more scouting around next time before we head up the trail. Snow is finally melting off so we can do more exploring. We scouted out the Spencer Meddow area a few weeks before. Also was finally able to make it up to goat marsh a few weeks ago and there was more water than I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Spencer Meddow

Had originally intended to see if we could get through to the randle side but got turned back.

Looking back towards the Lewis Valley

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Lone Butte 15.22/1644

Lone Butte Meddows. This is a really nice area with easy access and we plan to come back at night. Might consider camping overnight half way down where there's good views in both directions.

Headed up Sqaw Butte trail.

Big Creek

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Sqaw Butte is more a series of shelfs and there's some steep parts but a lot of level walking. Much more open under the trees than down in the valley.

We started to hit heavy snow past 4k and turned back a little short of the top at the Crab Trail junction.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Siouxon

Yale Boat Launch. Was kinda preoccupied with hiking last summer and want to get the yak out more this year.

Mouth of the Siouxon estuary

Yale dam and Mount Tum Tum

Old road bridge for the abandoned road on the south shore.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Heading into the estuary

Necks down as you approach the mouth of Siouxon creek.

Opens up again past the neck. Creek mouth dead ahead with beach on the left and cliffs on the right.

We usually come when the waters lower and there's a lot more beach. The local babcats seem to be using the little beach that's there as a litter box

Mouth of Siouxon creek.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Went up to Summit lake today. Awesome day! Great views! Fairly moderate hike. Still a bit of snow as you got into the higher elevations.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Shark Rock 7/23 11.52/2123

Return to the area of the op in much better conditions following the route laid out by JackRebney.

Blue Lake and the meadows to the east.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking back down on the Blue Lake valley. Ridge to the right is where the Wright Meddow trail runs.

Shark Rock

Hat Rock

Craggy Peak

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Mountains

Obligatory poser shot

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Between St Helens and Adams. Main trail heads east out of Wright Meadow. We came up and got on that trail from the south.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Craggy Peak

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

I think that is actually Kirk Rock.

This is Craggy.

ETA: Actually maybe that is Craggy from the other side, if so it looks way different from there. It sure looks different on top of it too.

I plan on riding Craggy Peak and Boundary trails on my trials bike within the next couple months, I can't wait to see more of the area.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Section J, Pacific crest trail, Snoqualmie to stevens pass is a favorite, stopping at spectacle lake t fish, swim an camp.
Cholchuk an Alpinestars

Section K PCT is on my list to do..probably take lady of lake out to chelan, bus to Wenatchee an amtrak back to Spokane.

An wonderland trails is also on my list.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think that is actually Kirk Rock.

This is Craggy.

https://i.imgur.com/XVSpQqK.png

ETA: Actually maybe that is Craggy from the other side, if so it looks way different from there. It sure looks different on top of it too.

I plan on riding Craggy Peak and Boundary trails on my trials bike within the next couple months, I can't wait to see more of the area.
View Quote

Yeah that's Craggy from the east around Shark Rock. I'm a little dubious of the names on the map. The one above that's labeled Shark sure looks like a Badger and there's another one in the distance that looks like a big Shark fin. Could be the names got switched around at some point.

Craggy from the west.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Section J, Pacific crest trail, Snoqualmie to stevens pass is a favorite, stopping at spectacle lake t fish, swim an camp.
Cholchuk an Alpinestars

Section K PCT is on my list to do..probably take lady of lake out to chelan, bus to Wenatchee an amtrak back to Spokane.

View Quote

I don't know the sections but we ran a bit of the PCT in the Indian Heaven area and its really pretty. It's  crowded so we just use it to get from one side trail to the other.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know the sections but we ran a bit of the PCT in the Indian Heaven area and its really pretty. It's  crowded so we just use it to get from one side trail to the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cholchuk an Alpinestars

My buddy hiked parts of Indian Heaven last year and he said it was an absolute shitshow with the amount of people there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My buddy hiked parts of Indian Heaven last year and he said it was an absolute shitshow with the amount of people there.
View Quote

The lakes along the PCT where super crowded. We came up on the trail from placid lake in the early morning and it wasn't bad down there. We went south on the PCT to hook up with the abandon rush creek trail. Once we were 100yds into the brush we didn't see another person till we got back near the trailhead. There's a lot of people but they're really clumped up and it's not too difficult to avoid. The one advantage of the PCT is it's very well maintained and you can make good time on it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cholchuk an Alpinestars

View Quote
Wonderland Trail is incredible. Did it over 2 years as a scout. Hope to take my kids to do it again someday.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Not so local hike. Visiting family in S. Oregon.

OC&E switchbacks trailhead 8/12 8.15/522

Looking down in the valley from near the trailhead

Down on the valley floor

Feel like I should be carrying a lever gun

This area was on the GPS as Chapman reservoir but apparently not this time of year.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#29]
A couple nights later.

Yote. Probably round 400yds.

Cows a long way out. Maybe 3/4 of a mile.

Had no way to secure my gear so went pretty minimal and borrowed a carbine. Helped a family member put the carbine together 10 or so years ago so it's kind of a blast from the past.

Improvised scout section consisting of a tactical dust mop

Moonrise on the valley. This is my 1st experience using I2 in the desert and even with my worst tube the view is amazing. Didn't have to use ir light at all.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Just did the Mt Saint Helen summit...

Soles detached from my boots at the summit..climbed down shoeless ..it sucked ??
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn we really do live in a postcard. I like Mt Pilchuck but its basically two miles of stairs
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just did the Mt Saint Helen summit...

Soles detached from my boots at the summit..climbed down shoeless ..it sucked ??
View Quote

Did that in 2013 with 2 Army buddies, it was socked in weather wise. Pics all sucked, lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#33]
The Dome 8/27 16.71/3965

Coming up from the trailhead

Meta Lake

Grizzly Lake

Log flows

Mt Mordor peaking through the clouds

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Mt Margaret

Spirit Lake

Mt Margaret in foreground. The Dome and Coldwater Peak in background.

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Mt Margaret Backcountry

The Dome

St Helens lake with Coldwater Peak above

Coldwater Lake

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Took the little guy on his first backpack trip. Barclay Lake. Its an easy hike in. Water level was really low so we were easily able to camp on the beach!
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Covered some of the same ground as OP yesterday on our bikes. Craggy Peak trail, to Boundary trail, to Snyder Pasture Trail, and Wright Meadow trail back to the Craggy Peak trailhead.

Shark Rock in the foreground, Craggy Peak behind it.

Badger Lake.

Shark Rock on the left, Craggy in front of Adams.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Loowit Falls 9/17 10.63/1784

Sunrise in the valley

The mountain from Windy Ridge

Pumice Plains

The mountain from the Loowit trail

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#39]
#goatlife

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Spirit Lake with Rainier and Adams in the background

Steam from the lava dome

Loowit Falls

Spirit Lake and the mountain from Truman trail

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Hike to Camp Muir. Jesus, what an ass kicker!Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#42]
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/tull-canyon
Tubal Cain Mine / B-17 Crash Site
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I faild to get pictures of the mine entrance. It was pretty cool, but didn't go back very far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top