User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2018 11:57:51 PM EDT
Does anyone plan on attending?

link to GD thread

Any plans for a wahtf meet up spot?

Can we use this thread to organize resources, share ideas for slogans for signs and things of that nature?(unless there's a thread I missed)

I hope this isn't 15 dudes with mosins and black trench coats shuffling around staring at their feet.  The antis had a crazy turnout this weekend.  We probably won't get media coverage, so we need to make sure to take plenty of pictures on our own to get exposure.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m down with it.  How about we exchange numbers and emails?  I’ve given mine out here to someone who said they were going to organize, and never got anything more, even when I asked why they collected it.  We have to get talking, and at that — get organized.  Everyone bitches about the NRA or others being silent — the only ones we can rely on is self, if we care enough.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in, I can help anyway I can.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in, I should be on the west side that weekend.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, unfortunately today at work I was voluntold to be out of the country around that time.  Hopefully I don't leave until after this, but it sounds like I may be leaving before.

I feel stupid for starting this thread now
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Somebody had to get the ball rolling, Thank You.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The wife and I will be going.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I expect a few tacticool operators, some guys with Molon Labe shirts, and enough open carry to entirely miss the point.

It’s likely to hurt more than help. Tailor made opportunity for an unflattering photo that turns suburban moms into gun control activists.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I expect a few tacticool operators, some guys with Molon Labe shirts, and enough open carry to entirely miss the point.

It’s likely to hurt more than help. Tailor made opportunity for an unflattering photo that turns suburban moms into gun control activists.
View Quote
"We've done nothing, and nothing is working"
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"We've done nothing, and nothing is working"
View Quote
Do something useful. Standing around in the rain with a sign isn’t useful except in large numbers which you won’t get. The rally should be in Seattle not Olympia. There is always some easily ignorable but hard to attend rally in Olympia.

And cameras are unlikely to be focused on the regular people. Instead they will find Tactical Timmy armed like he’s just back from a patrol in Afghanistan, or the obvious “gun nut”. Hurting not helping.

And the names involved are bad for the cause. “Americans for America” sounds like an anti immigration group not a pro 2A group. At best it muddies the message.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do something useful. Standing around in the rain with a sign isn’t useful except in large numbers which you won’t get. The rally should be in Seattle not Olympia. There is always some easily ignorable but hard to attend rally in Olympia.
View Quote
Open to suggestions, seems like doing something is better then sitting here bitching about it. Throw out some ideas.

I get you on the name, doesn't sound right to me either, but it is what it is at this point. I'm just happy to do something, try to get something, anything going to try to help the cause.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to pick sides or anything but it seems like the rally here on the 21st has way more momentum and is the one I will be attending, I guess there was some kind of scheduling mashup for the 14th. As of this moment confirmed signed up attendees from the book of face

April 14th - 68

April 21st - 763
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Are both in Olympia?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a link to the one on the 21st? I do not book of face, hate that fucking place.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]
April 21st rally in Olympia, over 800 confirmed so far.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1661802327190025
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool, unfortunately I cannot do both, so I guess I'll have to talk to the Wife and Daughter. See which is better on the schedules.

Anyone in the north end (Skagit County) going down to either? Maybe get a carpool going to one of them, go visit the grandson for the other weekend.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:50:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn.  I'm out of town during that. :(
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh Jesus the first thing I see is a Gadsden flag. Again, muddled message. If people want a large turnout for a pro 2A event, they have to stop dragging in unrelated issues. That flag was used a lot by Tea Party people, for example. Centrist voters are going to be immediately turned off by the "Tea Party flag".
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh Jesus the first thing I see is a Gadsden flag. Again, muddled message. If people want a large turnout for a pro 2A event, they have to stop dragging in unrelated issues. That flag was used a lot by Tea Party people, for example. Centrist voters are going to be immediately turned off by the "Tea Party flag".
View Quote
Eh they either have a strong enough resolve or not to come and support the 2nd. I happen to like the flag . I already chased one gal off because she asked if there were going to be alot of Trump voters there and explained to her essentially yes, though it wasn't per say a "trump supporting rally" but by nature the majority of folks attending probably did vote for him out of principal of trying to protect the 2nd, than she didn't want to attend
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
by nature the majority of folks attending probably did vote for him out of principal of trying to protect the 2nd, than she didn't want to attend
View Quote
That's my point, actually.  These rallies need to bend over backwards to invite all 2A supporters, not the stereotypical 2A supporters.  It is not true that pro 2A = pro Trump = pro Tea Party = pro "Oath Keepers" = "all the rest".  Make it one and one issue only.

And again, a pro 2A rally with 850 people in Seattle would get news coverage that the exact same rally in Olympia simply will not get.

Also more people would attend in Seattle.  I see how crowded Wades and West Coast Armory are; how many of those people just can't stomach the 90 minute drive to Olympia past the world-class-bad Tacoma Dome traffic but would make it to Seattle?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Okay..you've made it clear that YOU  don't want to do anything, and your  "feeling are gonna be hurt" argument is just a bullshit way of avoiding it.  now go away, "we ask neither your council nor your arms"
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's my point, actually.  These rallies need to bend over backwards to invite all 2A supporters, not the stereotypical 2A supporters.  It is not true that pro 2A = pro Trump = pro Tea Party = pro "Oath Keepers" = "all the rest".  Make it one and one issue only.

And again, a pro 2A rally with 850 people in Seattle would get news coverage that the exact same rally in Olympia simply will not get.

Also more people would attend in Seattle.  I see how crowded Wades and West Coast Armory are; how many of those people just can't stomach the 90 minute drive to Olympia past the world-class-bad Tacoma Dome traffic but would make it to Seattle?
View Quote
Yes it is a bit of a drive for any of us up north, but to me it is more than worth it and should be to anyone else that likes freedom! All 2nd amendment supporters are invited and welcome! If they can't stand seeing some snake flags, come and take it flags, NRA stuff, trump stuff and especially open carried weapons well I don't think their resolve was very strong to begin with. I have heard some strongly religious things at some of the previous rally's, not really my cup of tea per say, but I didn't get all butt hurt and go cry in the corner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn't get all butt hurt and go cry in the corner.
View Quote
I don't think people do, I think they just don't show.

I just don't understand what people think a rally in Olympia accomplishes. The March for Life people had their rally in Seattle, because that's where the people are.  But the pro 2A folks want Olympia, because why?  Capitol?  So what.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't think people do, I think they just don't show.

I just don't understand what people think a rally in Olympia accomplishes. The March for Life people had their rally in Seattle, because that's where the people are.  But the pro 2A folks want Olympia, because why?  Capitol?  So what.
View Quote
I somewhat am seeing your arguement. The March for your lives in Seattle is like an echo chamber its all happy happy joy joy, I'm not sure what positive effect us going down town somewhere with openly carried guns is going to have, I don't figure many people in the heart of Seattle are ever going to be on our side, I suppose people think rallying at the capitol is more to make our voted in representatives hear our voice (obviously a lot of them in this state won't really give two shits about our opinion either)
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what positive effect us going down town somewhere with openly carried guns is going to have, I don't figure many people in the heart of Seattle are ever going to be on our side, I suppose people think rallying at the capitol is more to make our voted in representatives hear our voice (obviously a lot of them in this state won't really give two shits about our opinion either)
View Quote
Wait, what?  I thought this was a pro 2A rally, not an open carry rally.  Those are not the same thing. If you make it the same thing, then you lose supporters.  Images like this one motivate suburban moms to be anti-2A.

Seattle has a lot more 2A supporters than you think. Not everything is Capitol Hill.  Or, perhaps a rally in Bellevue's downtown park, minutes from all those Eastside 2A supporters.  A lot easier to get to from North Bend or Issaquah than Olympia.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]
People will be open carrying if they want to, it is their right to do so and legal in the state.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People will be open carrying if they want to, it is their right to do so and legal in the state.
View Quote
Very true. And belaboring that point is the wrong thing to do. Gray man, not in your face man.

There are many people who have no idea open carry is legal and will freak at the concept. Open carry in the woods, not a shopping mall.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I hear what everyone is saying here. Open carry is legal, I personally do not think a bunch of guy's running around like pictured above is really necessary. Legal, yes, but not really what is needed right now.

Washington is an open carry state, for now. Once a bunch of soccer moms see guy's openly carrying the evil black rifles at a rally, what is their next thought? That shouldn't be legal. Then what do we have to deal with?

People are going to do what they do, cannot help that. I just hope some of these guy's think about what they are doing before it is too late.

Now, on the other side of the coin........
Montana Gun Owners Rally Against the March For Our Lives | The Daily Show

Yes, he had to search to find the two stupidest people at the rally and use them to make his point. I personally think it was wise for the organizers to ask attendee's to not pack firearms to a place where you know there may be conflict, but their wording of the handbill left a lot to be desired. For safety, please do not bring firearms.

We need to think about every thing that we do in these type events, love to get the media coverage, just need to make sure it is the right coverage. IDK exactly what that is, but we need to figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I hear what everyone is saying here. Open carry is legal, I personally do not think a bunch of guy's running around like pictured above is really necessary. Legal, yes, but not really what is needed right now.

Washington is an open carry state, for now. Once a bunch of soccer moms see guy's openly carrying the evil black rifles at a rally, what is their next thought? That shouldn't be legal. Then what do we have to deal with?

People are going to do what they do, cannot help that. I just hope some of these guy's think about what they are doing before it is too late.

Now, on the other side of the coin........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2v9z2S5XzQ

Yes, he had to search to find the two stupidest people at the rally and use them to make his point. I personally think it was wise for the organizers to ask attendee's to not pack firearms to a place where you know there may be conflict, but their wording of the handbill left a lot to be desired. For safety, please do not bring firearms.

We need to think about every thing that we do in these type events, love to get the media coverage, just need to make sure it is the right coverage. IDK exactly what that is, but we need to figure it out.
View Quote
I wish our reality wasn't how it is.

Gay people didn't tell each other to "act straight" at their marches.

Here we are trying to get as many people as possible, and not to look like "gun owners".

We've been delt a crappy hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Here we are trying to get as many people as possible, and not to look like "gun owners".

View Quote
I'm kinda getting a mixed reaction to what you are saying. I get the first and last sentence, but look at me everyday, that is what a "gun owner" looks like. I occasionally wear camo print cargo shorts, and a Giessele or ARFCOM hat, other then that nothing would lead you to believe I was any different then any other person.

I do not ever feel the need to open carry a long rifle, especially when I am trying to reach out to the general public and inform them of my opinion on the subject. But, to each their own, that is kinda the point here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]
It is not our job or responsibility to appease the liberals, we are more so letting them no that we do not wan't our rights infringed upon and we have the law (so far) and ultimately the constitution and inalienable rights on our side and we won't give them up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm kinda getting a mixed reaction to what you are saying. I get the first and last sentence, but look at me everyday, that is what a "gun owner" looks like. I occasionally wear camo print cargo shorts, and a Giessele or ARFCOM hat, other then that nothing would lead you to believe I was any different then any other person.

I do not ever feel the need to open carry a long rifle, especially when I am trying to reach out to the general public and inform them of my opinion on the subject. But, to each their own, that is kinda the point here.
View Quote
Well said, all around.

Let the open carriers open carry. I will probably be the middle aged IT guy on 4/21 concealed carrying, with a sign somewhat more polite than "AR15s *are* the compromise, toy witless gorms!"

Though I'm pissed off enough that I want to show with a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of what I was getting at.  What does a gun owner look like?  I don't wear militaryish cammo either, same for carrying a rifle, but some may.  I think the most important thing is to have as many people show as possible.

We already know that if we're lucky enough to get a good sized group and lucky enough to get news coverage, they'd find a way to only show the minority that shows up dressed like they're getting ready to patrol fallujah.

The bigger the crowd, the more "average" folks there will be.  It's also important for our side to put out as many pictures as possible, to show our version of the story.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not to pick sides or anything but it seems like the rally here on the 21st has way more momentum and is the one I will be attending, I guess there was some kind of scheduling mashup for the 14th. As of this moment confirmed signed up attendees from the book of face

April 14th - 68

April 21st - 763
View Quote
Get both. This is Arfcom!

This is a purely grass roots effort. Help promote these events by inviting your friends, particularly those who don't do arfcom or social media. We have a huge population of retired guys but we do nothing to mobilize them
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
by nature the majority of folks attending probably did vote for him out of principal of trying to protect the 2nd, than she didn't want to attend

Case in point, myself. I am pro 2A did not vote Trump, abhor the militia groups running around, and don't care for the Gadsden Flag. I honestly dont attend these rallies because they usually turn into something else. I find I'm far more useful personally breaking down gun toting stereotypes by demonstrating what we are in the more liberal slanted groups I find myself in. At best I roll my eyes at the tactical Teds waving the Gadsden Flag on street corners, they really don't do anything to sway opinions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#35]
What do they turn into?

I also hope that this does not turn into a TrumpFest, or anything else. Just a peaceful event supporting the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Here are flyers for the two rallies. Please help distribute these to gun shops, ranges, individuals, clubs, any place where people value their second amendment rights. Too often we hear people say "I would've gone, but nobody told me"

It turns out no one is coming to save us. It's up to each of us to go out and work to save our rights.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What do they turn into?
View Quote
Yelling matches decrying the moral corruption of others, I am simply not into demagaugery...
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Case in point, myself. I am pro 2A did not vote Trump, abhor the militia groups running around, and don't care for the Gadsden Flag. I honestly dont attend these rallies because they usually turn into something else. I find I'm far more useful personally breaking down gun toting stereotypes by demonstrating what we are in the more liberal slanted groups I find myself in. At best I roll my eyes at the tactical Teds waving the Gadsden Flag on street corners, they really don't do anything to sway opinions.
View Quote
Let's see we have been called all sorts of vile names, we've been told the blood of children is on the hands of all NRA members, there have been numerous threats made.....and we're supposed to "play nice" so they don't get their feelings hurt..do what suits you..IMO they can go to hell if their feelings get hurt during a rally for the second.

eta..liberals and lefties are some of the most violence prone people I have ever run across.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you'd be happier playing golf. Shooting is probably not for you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you want to protect your gun rights, you need to be happy with everyone who enjoys shooting and everyone who is even moderately pro 2A. And leave it at that without dragging any other baggage into it.

You just told a voter to play golf instead of voting pro 2A.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you want to protect your gun rights, you need to be happy with everyone who enjoys shooting and everyone who is even moderately pro 2A. And leave it at that without dragging any other baggage into it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"We" as gun owners are the worst about eating our own.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I confronted a troll.  If he is truly interested in protecting his 2A rights he knows what to do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Is that first flyer correct, 5:30 to 8:00 PM on the 14th?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I confronted a troll.  If he is truly interested in protecting his 2A rights he knows what to do.
View Quote
No. You don’t get to call troll and end it with that. He’s been here since 2006 with 3500+ posts and a good EE score. This man is on the same side as your side and yet you don’t recognize that. Shame on you sir.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
How am I trolling? I presented my personal beliefs as a supporting statement to a previous comment I agreed with. You need to look outside of your box, the second amendment is in trouble because too many alienate those that don't fit their mold.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Let's see we have been called all sorts of vile names, we've been told the blood of children is on the hands of all NRA members, there have been numerous threats made.....and we're supposed to "play nice" so they don't get their feelings hurt..do what suits you..IMO they can go to hell if their feelings get hurt during a rally for the second.

eta..liberals and lefties are some of the most violence prone people I have ever run across.
View Quote
I would tend to agree, but I have made it a mission of mine to break the cycle of name calling and belligerence.  It's hard and you never get the warm fuzzies of doing something immediately, but I have changed minds through my approach.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How am I trolling? I presented my personal beliefs as a supporting statement to a previous comment I agreed with. You need to look outside of your box, the second amendment is in trouble because too many alienate those that don't fit their mold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your posts look a lot like concern trolling.

Quoted:

What, exactly, do they turn into? And how do you know this if you don't attend them? I recommend you go see for yourself. I've attended most of the rallies in roughly the last five years and they are peaceful. Observation: Attending the rally and engaging the organizers would be more effective than bitching about it in a gun forum. Demoralizing our people and discouraging them from attending helps no one. You cede the pro-gun field to the "tactical Teds"

Which brings up another point.

Quoted:

the second amendment is in trouble because too many alienate those that don't fit their mold.
Yet you dismiss the tactical Teds because they do not fit your mold. Trying to convince the liberals in this state is a worthy goal but ultimately fruitless. In fact, the gun community has many groups that will readily throw others under the bus: some would happily let "assault weapons" go away, while others are happy to lose bump stocks because they are stupid. It turns out the anti-gun strategy is one of incrementalism. They keep taking in the name of "compromise", yet we get nothing back in return.

Aside from attending the rally, there are plenty of ways to engage. The real fight comes this Fall, and we are badly behind the curve in organizing for the elections.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Valid points. I have been to a few rallies year's ago and they turned into rallies for political officials and yelling matches decrying moral corruption of other people. As I said above I do not support demagoguery, and the few pro 2A events I have been to feture this heavily. I will admit to saying the tactical ted  doesn't fit my mold, but I would never suggest they go play golf. Honestly at the end of the day I have seen concrete results from my approach. If you approach antis one on one in a friendly manner and not all tacticalled out you might be surprised. You will need to be willing to listen though.
We have different ideas, that should be ok. All I ask is a modicum of respect.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I had to head south for some things today, so I dropped off flyers at Skagit Arms, Skagit Shooting Range, and All American Armory. Will hit Kesselring's/Primal Arms Tomorrow, closed on Monday's.

I have to go north for an appt. Wednesday, try to drop them off at Spartan Arms, maybe email a copy of them to Custer Sportsmen's Club, don't have to go that far north for awhile.

I was a little surprised, as I do not think anyone knew about any of this. Everyone was pleased to post them, but did not know about them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Valid points. I have been to a few rallies year's ago and they turned into rallies for political officials and yelling matches decrying moral corruption of other people. As I said above I do not support demagoguery, and the few pro 2A events I have been to feture this heavily. I will admit to saying the tactical ted  doesn't fit my mold, but I would never suggest they go play golf. Honestly at the end of the day I have seen concrete results from my approach. If you approach antis one on one in a friendly manner and not all tacticalled out you might be surprised. You will need to be willing to listen though.
We have different ideas, that should be ok. All I ask is a modicum of respect.
View Quote
Likewise. I would point out that you will gain few friends by using prejudicial or borderline derogatory language such as tactical Ted. It takes all types, and the shooting community is generally very accepting of others. And we can't afford to alienate anyone. Trying to ingratiate yourself with the Left by belittling other shooters seems counterproductive.

When's our tee time? This time next year, golf may be our only option.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top