Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 7:04:27 PM EDT
It is legal for me to purchase a handgun for my wife as a present?  it makes sense that it would be but with the transfer laws I want to make sure I'm in the clear.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I can tell you that if you buy ME a handgun, your street cred will soar!

And, the answer to your question is..... Yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
RCW 9.41.113
Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.
(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons.
(4) This section does not apply to:

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RCW 9.41.113
Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.
(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons.
(4) This section does not apply to:

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;
View Quote

Perfect.  Thank you.

She has never been around guns and My whole family does competition shooting so I want to get her introduced to them (so I can go to the range and shoot more often).  Looks like I can use Christmas as the perfect excuse to put my plan into action.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Methinks you didn't read all of the quoted RCW. You can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]
federal law states

"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you"

So if your intent is to buy it for her you are doing a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
federal law states

"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you"

View Quote

TOTALLY WRONG!

Jesus people, how many times do we have to go over this.
Federal Law:  You can buy a firearm as a gift for ANYONE*.  On the 4473, you are the actual buyer, you are the one buying the gun.  The gift recipient didn't give you they money to pay for it.  Just because you intend to give it to someone else as a gift does NOT make it a straw purchase.  Hell, even if they are standing right there and say "I like that one!", it is still a gift, and still NOT a straw purchase.

WA I-594: Because of I-594, you can't give a gift of a firearm to just anybody any more without a 4473/NICS/ATP form, the exceptions being a gift to a spouse, sibling, son, daughter, etc. as defined by the RCW*.  If it isn't one of those classes of people, then you can still give it to them, but that transfer has to be done at a dealer with the 4473/NICS/ATP forms.

*They have to be non-prohibited persons in the first place.

So, can the OP give his wife a gun for Christmas?
YES!
Will he be violating any Federal laws?
NO!
Will he be violating any State laws?
NO!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
federal law states

View Quote

Straw purchase does not apply to gifts for family members not otherwise precluded by law from owning firearms.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
federal law states

View Quote

4473 - Page 4 - Question 11.a - Clarification for the term "Actual Transferee/Buyer"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top