Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2010 9:15:13 PM EDT
Or the reporter is an idiot.
A boot camp that makes you shape up.
Nothing works.

Not the gym, with the treadmills that go nowhere.

Team in Training groups are great and worthwhile, but as you're making new friends, you're hitting the old ones up for money because you have to fundraise for a cause.

Something's got to take — and not just for summer, but for our very lives.

Some 21 percent of King County adults are obese, according to updated numbers from the Washington State Department of Health.

And the percentage of adults who are obese more than doubled over the past 20 years, from 10 percent in 1990. Meanwhile, food keeps getting more outrageous.

KFC just extended the run of its Double Down fried-chicken, cheese and bacon sandwich; more than 10 million have sold. Not to be outdone in the realm of food-as-cartoon, IHOP is sandwiching its pancakes with ... cheesecake.

Time to call in the troops on our behinds.

For 12 years now, Sgt. Mike Lawson has been getting the region's people to move.

He calls them names, makes them kiss the wet pavement, slog through the mud, do squats straight uphill — and they love it. They pay him for the privilege.

The other morning before dawn, I climbed Sundial Hill at Seattle's Gas Works Park and took in this man in combat boots with an accent as Boston as the Green Monster.

"Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life!" he barked as he sized up our shivering circle.

Lawson, 42, a former recon commando in the Army, has the longest-running boot camp-style fitness class in a city where at least eight have cropped up over the last few years.

More than 100 people have signed up for one of Lawson's two, 10-week classes, which are held at 6 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Gas Works Park, and 6 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Woodland Park. (Cost is $175. To sign up, go to www.therac.net/bootcamp.html).

Over 75 minutes, "troops" are put through sprints, squats, crunches, push-ups and stretches. Do what you can, at your own pace, Lawson said. Just don't quit.

"I don't care if you come in first place or last place," he said. "Just do the best you can do. And if you're not doing the best you can do, I'm on you. I can tell!"

Lawson started coaching when he was an Army private assigned to those about to retire. If they couldn't pass a fitness test, they wouldn't receive their benefits, or could be dishonorably discharged.

"These were heroes," he said. "So it's become my life's mission. I am saving people's lives."

Those who survive the first week of his class become devoted.

Jan Benson, 57, of Seattle, has been taking the class for 10 years. She likes that there are people in their 20s and 50s, that the class is not gender specific, and that it's inclusive.

"No matter where you are, there's a place for you," said Benson, who does computer mapping. "Everybody there wants you to do your best, so even if you're the last person, they're cheering you on.

"You just have to start."

Shannon Ellis-Brock, 43, started taking Lawson's class a year ago. She has since lost 35 pounds and no longer needs her medication for high blood pressure.

"I get bored easily," she said. "So I am not going to go to a gym. This class is always something different."

Lawson is as goofy as he is grueling. He gives people nicknames. He tells them he loves them, then threatens bodily harm. And he pesters them about everything ("What kind of sneakahs a' those?"), including what they consume. It worries him.

"The economy is depressing people," he said. "People just want to eat."

Which explains KFC's Double Down — right?

"I don't think I could eat one of those, and I am a meatasaurus," he said. "But you! Where were you this morning? I am going to eat cornflakes out of your skull!"

That'll work.

Army Recon Commando? Did I miss a DOD school? A PV2 or PFC running PT for soon-to-be retirees? APFT to get retirement?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's sign somebody up for his Recondarobics class, and find out...
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have yet to meet or read of a reporter who isn't a total idiot.

They could have the facts right there in front of them for them to copy and paste into an article and still mess it up so bad that only a third of the article is correct.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Really fishy
http://www.pbase.com/bogieview/image/85555221

Caption calls this a TANK!?!?!

http://www.pbase.com/bogieview/image/85555211
PCF?This a split option BT grad pic? Where's his DA photo if he was a SGT?

The Legion wears green berets, French Army wears black and doesn't a host nation's troop usually make the award at grad ceremonies from their schools? He claims to have graduated from FFL school so shouldn't it be Legionnaires flanking him?  

He says this is "Africa", BFAs in Africa? 2X Rule III violation.

MILES Dragon as a "tank killer".

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They could have the facts right there in front of them for them to copy and paste into an article and still mess it up so bad that only a third of the article is correct.

He says the same thing on his website.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He says the same thing on his website.

Well.. now the reporter gets a pass for actually copying and pasting
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a guess, but from the looks of it circa late 80's he was assigned to some sort of ABN status unit in Germany, perhaps a BDE/DIV level recon asset? He went to some all-forces NATO school run by the Frogs, perhaps SHAPE Belgium...did a training rotation in one of the training areas, since we simply DON'T patrol with BFA's and MILES equipped Dragons. The two tracks in the pics are a M113A2 (it also interesting that ther's an M-60 mounted on the '113 and not a M-2 BMG) and a COLT track, which we used torefer to as HammerHeads because of the TOW launcher...I'm seein' alot of error in the descriptions of the photos, and the story does stink.

(WTF is with the camo tank top????)
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I was never .mil so forgive maybe a stupid question...

How does one graduate "#1 in his class at the elite French Foreign Legion School in
France, 1989" whilst serving "in the U.S. Army as a recon commando; 1986-1994".  I'm guessing that this was maybe a class in spear chucking or something and not actually being like Top Legionnaire out of all the other Legionnaires.  Can you serve the US .mil and the FFL at the same time?

Also, this gem from http://www.pbase.com/bogieview/mikelawson

"Mike is heavily involved in Seattle’s professional NBA and WNBA
programs."

I was not aware that Seattle had a professional NBA team nor had they for a couple of years now.  If they do have such a team, I'd like to go to a game.  I miss going to NBA games when I lived in PDX

Again, I was never .mil and I wish no disrespect on those that have served.  Something just seems......odd.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#9]
This is just the sort of thing that pisses me off to no end.  Someone who probably did serve honorably, just has to make all sorts of stuff up/bend the truth to make his resume look better.  I have to agree with Matt45, and I’m thinking Berlin Brigade.  But in the picture with the M-60, he is wearing a 1st ID patch, in what looks to be like a German Farmers field (Reforger ?).  And IIRC the only “Commando” school was in Belgium, was open to any Combat Arms ( I think each Brigade got a certain number of slots each year).  I heard it was a real bitch, I dunno, I’m just a nasty leg, but one the Medics from my Battalion went to it around 1986 or 1987 and he made it thru, but did say it had a high washout rate.  IIRC he was entitled to wear the Belgian Jump Wings on his class A’s.

Back to topic at hand, the way I see it, I don’t care what you did, just be honest about it.  For all those cooks that had hot chow for me when I was cold, wet and hungry, here’s to ya.  For all those Supply guys that scrounged that piece of TO&E I was missing before an inspection, here’s to ya.  For all those Mechanics that got my track up before COB Friday, here’s to ya.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of us are fat-asses that could use some exercisin'.

Some of us have also served.

Getting into that class could be epically hilarious...
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some of us are fat-asses that could use some exercisin'.
Some of us have also served.

Getting into that class could be epically hilarious...

Thats what Im talking about..

Get a bunch of us prior service guys in there, and dont say shit.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#12]
The REFORGER part of it makes a lot of sense....a lot of it seems misrepresented and overinflated.
Quoted:

Back to topic at hand, the way I see it, I don’t care what you did, just be honest about it. For all those cooks that had hot chow for me when I was cold, wet and hungry, here’s to ya. For all those Supply guys that scrounged that piece of TO&E I was missing before an inspection, here’s to ya. For all those Mechanics that got my track up before COB Friday, here’s to ya.

You also missed the ugly side.

To the cooks that ratfucked the steaks and served us T-rats, FUCK YOU.

To the supply fuck that lost shit and then dummied up a 3161 to cover your ass, FUCK YOU.

To the ULLS clerk to lazy to process my parts order....FUCK YOU.

To the Admin guy that's "too Busy" to process my ABN DA 4187, FUCK YOU.

To the full time Guard guy too lazy to process my pay problem, FUCK YOU.

To the Cunt MP CSM and 1SG who ran away from the fight, FUCK YOU, Twice, in the ASS.

To the same pair of Cunts, whom attempted to deny soldiers in my Company hot food after coming off a patrol, FUCK YOU AGAIN. Yes, that WAS a live round that was chambered, and YES. You were *that* close to experiancing an AD, and, oh yeah....here's another NO LUBE, FUCK YOU, IN THE MOTHERFUCKING ASS.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I was trying look back with fond memories of the good people..............................the number of people on my shit list would require too much server space
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder of the FFL school roster is online. Off to check. I hate poseurs.

Was thinking 1st ID (FWD) too when I saw his patch.
LE site

Shit, doesn't solve my particular problem at all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I call bullshit.

Too many things don't fit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
zactly
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You also missed the ugly side.

To the cooks that ratfucked the steaks and served us T-rats, FUCK YOU.
To the supply fuck that lost shit and then dummied up a 3161 to cover your ass, FUCK YOU.
To the ULLS clerk to lazy to process my parts order....FUCK YOU.
To the Admin guy that's "too Busy" to process my ABN DA 4187, FUCK YOU.
To the full time Guard guy too lazy to process my pay problem, FUCK YOU.
To the Cunt MP CSM and 1SG who ran away from the fight, FUCK YOU, Twice, in the ASS.

To the same pair of Cunts, whom attempted to deny soldiers in my Company hot food after coming off a patrol, FUCK YOU AGAIN. Yes, that WAS a live round that was chambered, and YES. You were *that* close to experiancing an AD, and, oh yeah....here's another NO LUBE, FUCK YOU, IN THE MOTHERFUCKING ASS.

Reminds me of one of my 1SG's who, while in Iraq during the worst time of our deployment, told my entire exhausted platoon after a 12 hr dismounted patrol and a medevac later that "I don't go out on missions with you guys because somebody here has to live to tell your story."

He wasn't joking either because the man had no sense of humor.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I forgot about 1st ID (FWD)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top