Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:43:59 PM EDT
1911 Parts

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Date: 2009-10-29, 8:54PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Carbon Fiber Grips $50 (full size frame, use your own screws)

Stainless steel Slide with front and rear serration and all internals $250

Tasco Laser Bore sighter $50

[email protected]

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1443806991
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I never got the point of front serrations on a slide....
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They help with press checks if ya do it that way.  That's all I use them for.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They help with press checks if ya do it that way.  That's all I use them for.

Well shit, I learn something new everyday.

It never occured to me since I don't do 'em that way, but it's always nice to have options.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good.  And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith.  For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911.  The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase.  For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord.  For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim.  And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. a

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken.  Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men.  And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.

a  Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4.  And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."

b or Hell

© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

For the faithful, the "feast day" of St. John Moses Browning is January 23.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Press checks - for those that forgot whether or not they loaded their handgun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When your life depends on it why not take two seconds?  Or is that too tacticool for ya?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When going into a place where people definitely wish you harm you are damn right I press check my weapons. What is to say that the one time your bolt failed to strip a round off the magazine is not going to be the time when you have a split second to kill someone and you don't want your secondary going "click". Magazines are probably the number one leading cause of malfs in weapons.

That said, without the blasphemous guide rods in the prophets weapons one would not need front slide serrations.

The little stuff will get you killed in combat and what could be littler than thinking your weapon went into battery when it did not?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
What he said.  Murphy is a angry bitch.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When going into a place where people definitely wish you harm you are damn right I press check my weapons. What is to say that the one time your bolt failed to strip a round off the magazine is not going to be the time when you have a split second to kill someone and you don't want your secondary going "click". Magazines are probably the number one leading cause of malfs in weapons.

That said, without the blasphemous guide rods in the prophets weapons one would not need front slide serrations.

The little stuff will get you killed in combat and what could be littler than thinking your weapon went into battery when it did not?

This.

Couldn't, and wouldn't have said it any better myself.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Besides, if Steven Segal does it, you should too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I can feel the difference between a round getting stripped and not. If I'm amped up, maybe not. If I run thousands and thousands of rounds without a single FTF, it's pretty low on my concern list considering the history of reliability.

Where does press check mania end? After every round fired, every other round, every new mag, every time you reholster?

I ain't saying it's unnecessary, I do it ocassionally.  I'm saying it's blown way out of proportion. Some people have press check OCD.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I gotta go with Zerker, if headed into known trouble it is a very good idea. AND what is the down side?

For clarification, trouble for me means going in to a big city!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the front serations look cool.  They do no harm so it's ok to have them if like the looks.

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "press check".  I've read about it since Cooper but have never heard an exact description.

I assume it means retracting the slide a bit to see if there is a round chambered.  Would this actually be done by pushing back on the recoil spring cup (thingie)?  I'd really rather not get my booger picker that close to the muzzle.

Teachable moment here.  Fire away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can feel the difference between a round getting stripped and not. If I'm amped up, maybe not. If I run thousands and thousands of rounds without a single FTF, it's pretty low on my concern list considering the history of reliability.

Where does press check mania end? After every round fired, every other round, every new mag, every time you reholster?

I ain't saying it's unnecessary, I do it ocassionally.  I'm saying it's blown way out of proportion. Some people have press check OCD.

In a combat zone I get that type of OCD and I am ok with it. Hell when you are standing around waiting to get attacked there is little else to do but watch and check and recheck and recheck your previous checking on your gear. Call it comforting, call it obsessive, I am not gonna apologize for it!

People have NDs all the time because they thought a weapon was clear. Press checks aint just for the loaded ones.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Besides, if Steven Segal does it, you should too.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think the front serations look cool.  They do no harm so it's ok to have them if like the looks.

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "press check".  I've read about it since Cooper but have never heard an exact description.

I assume it means retracting the slide a bit to see if there is a round chambered.  Would this actually be done by pushing back on the recoil spring cup (thingie)?  I'd really rather not get my booger picker that close to the muzzle.

And there is the reason why the slide serrations exist. If you are putting one booger picker near the muzzle of the weapon you just need to make sure the other booger picker is clear of the bang button and you will be fine. Some people just can't learn that so we have front slide serrations for the masses of people who wear a helmet because they have a soft spot in their skull.

Not to mention the fact that as soon as you apply rearward pressure the gun can't fire anyway, but hey, lets not let semantics get in the way of asthetics and people who will shell out more cash for the pretty front slide serrations.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a combat zone I get that type of OCD and I am ok with it. Hell when you are standing around waiting to get attacked there is little else to do but watch and check and recheck and recheck your previous checking on your gear. Call it comforting, call it obsessive, I am not gonna apologize for it!

People have NDs all the time because they thought a weapon was clear. Press checks aint just for the loaded ones.

Did you forget the results of checking your gear the 106th time?
My comments were mostly directed at all the people that think a press check is more necessary than observing the four rules. You know the ones. they press check at every opportunity and even create reasons to do it. Chamber a round, holster it and quit fucking with it. They inhabit every gun board.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not to mention the fact that as soon as you apply rearward pressure the gun can't fire anyway, but hey, lets not let semantics get in the way of asthetics and people who will shell out more cash for the pretty front slide serrations.

You pretty much need to go custom to get no FCS. It seems every manufacturer would rather go to the extra effort to machine FCS for all the press checkers.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You pretty much need to go custom to get no FCS. It seems every manufacturer would rather go to the extra effort to machine FCS for all the press checkers.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/1habu/1911004.jpg?t=1256946563

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I press check my pistol, holster it and leave it alone.  I also "press check" rifles and sub guns by removing the mag after I chamber a round just to make sure it actually picked one up.  If you can tell an MP5 picked up a round just by feel after you slap the bolt home than you are a fucking ninja.

I guess I am kinda anal about it though.  I do a complete presentation with my pistol before I carry it.  I do the exact same thing every time and it is muscle memory.  I think it is acceptable to do this in a safe environment so I can make sure that my gun won't choke if I need it to save my life.  It gives me a little piece of mind and it is one less thing to go wrong when the lead starts flying.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there is the reason why the slide serrations exist. If you are putting one booger picker near the muzzle of the weapon you just need to make sure the other booger picker is clear of the bang button and you will be fine. Some people just can't learn that so we have front slide serrations for the masses of people who wear a helmet because they have a soft spot in their skull.

So you are confirming my guess that the "press check" would traditionally be done by pushing back on the recoil spring cup.  Yes?

I  have always done that by pulling the slide back in the slingshot manner.  Any fault in that practice?

Oh and your avatar frightens me.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So you are confirming my guess that the "press check" would traditionally be done by pushing back on the recoil spring cup. Yes?

Not with a full length guide rod you don't.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
If you can't trust your gun to pick up the first one, how can you trust it for the next 7?

I wish I was going to be around for the rest of this discussion, but alas, the elk calleth.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are confirming my guess that the "press check" would traditionally be done by pushing back on the recoil spring cup. Yes?

Not with a full length guide rod you don't.

That's why the FBI specced the PRO sans the rod.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I check every time I holster a weapon, or pickup a holstered weapon and strap the holster on. I'm not one of those OCD recheckers. That said...

Quoted:

I pretty much agree with "this guy" because I'd rather have a smooth front of my slide on my own weapons. For reduced holster wear, aesthetics, and less slide serration bite when disassembling/reassembling the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When your life depends on it why not take two seconds?  Or is that too tacticool for ya?

I don't know about you but....I pass on putting my fingers and hands anywhere near the muzzle of a gun that I am not sure is loaded or not.

My Colt doesn't have front slide serrations...and I like it like that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about you but....I pass on putting my fingers and hands anywhere near the muzzle of a gun that I am not sure is loaded or not.

My Colt doesn't have front slide serrations...and I like it like that.

I put my fingers up there, it doesn't bother me.  I also practice braced contact shooting so you can contact someone with your handgun and still shoot (once) without it going out of battery.  Just have to be careful.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried it and now I'm bleeding.  Thanks a lot you guys.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I tried it and now I'm bleeding.  Thanks a lot you guys.
http://www.laserlyte.com/Pistol_Bayonet/PB-1/images/PB1-0ss.jpg

Get back to us when you get it mounted to a 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top