Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 8:52:47 PM EDT
Finally decided(I think) to get a 22 upper. Who has what, and do you like it, wish you had gotten something different, etc???

Should I go with a conversion or a dedicated upper?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm.... Me Too?

Yeah I've got the money, and I'm thinking Spikes is where I'm heading. They've got the model with a quad rail and a Mock silencer that should provide entertainment.

Just having a hard time wrapping my head around what will likely be a $700 investment in upper, a few magazines, and some sorta optic or BUIS for a .22LR.

I'm wrestling with the notion that I can build a pretty slick 10/22 for that with change left over.

SO, I'm interested in hearing what folks have to say.

Looks like Smith & Wesson has entered the AR .22 market as well.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a spikes m4 length or whatever they call that upper.  have a kx3 on it, trying to decide if i'm going to cut it down and have that perm attached.

took a while to get it "tuned", but the last few times i've been out i've had zero problems with federal bulk pack.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]

I like my Ciener kit because it can be swapped between different configured uppers as I want.

I have a hard time convincing myself of the utility of a $500+ dedicated .22 only upper.
It might be more accurate than a conversion kit, but it I want an accurate .22 I'll tweak a 10/22
for the same or less money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just yourself a Jager AP74?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple years back, I picked up a Air Force USGI surplus M261 conversion kit with 2 mag inserts from the EE. It works great in my 1/12 twist A1 uppers. I honestly have not shot it in my 1/9-1/7 twist rifles. I really like it.

Looks like this..

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You found a supply of 22lr?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got an Oly RFA which is basically a knock off of the M261. It's accurate enough, and I like the versatility, but I am in the process of building a dedicated upper using spare parts. Just waiting for my tax return for a Model 1 barrel and BCG.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a Spikes 22 kt and a dedicated 22lr barrel and build it the way you like it.
I have a Spikes 22lr kit build too but dont have pics yet.

Ciener/CMMG kit, dedicated 1:16 twist 22lr barrel

TacSol dedicated 1:16 twist 22lr

Ciener/CMMG kit dedicated 1:12 twist barrel pistol

The TacSol dedicated 22 shoots 10 shot groups like this at 50 yards and
the other 22 carbine shoots groups real close to the same.

If you want to shoot beer cans at 150 yrds then get a dedicated 1:16 twist 22lr barrel gun.
If you want to shoot soda cans at 50 yrds maybe then get just a 22 kit for your AR 223 barrel gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been kicking the idea of a 22 upper, but just can't seem to do it.
the conversion would probably be a better idea for me, but I have a few 10/22's so I have no idea
what to do

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I jumped on the SEBR upper from Spikes, great upper. Took me a little time to find what it likes but once I did (red box federal) it runs great.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well as usual there isn't a consensus yet...  

I'm trying to pitch the idea to myself in that I'll still be shooting an AR, and with the money I save shooting .22LR
I'll be 1. Saving my 5.56 stash for other than plinking, and 2. save so much money shooting .22LR that it will basically
pay for itself, or at least free up funds for new toys...

I dunno, accuracy is key, and I don't have a 1:12 AR or I'd just do the conversion.

So yeah...  Love the tiny groups out of the TacSol....

But I've also got an old 10/22 that just sits in the back of the safe.  Could be fun to build a burly 10/22.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Ciener conversion with Black Dog mags. I've been shooting it out of 1/7 barrel.
Works good. Not super accurate but good enough for plinking. Need to try it in my 1/9.
I'd like to get a dedicated upper. I'm not crazy about dropping a few hundred
bucks though and still having to "Tune" a Spikes or only feed it what it likes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a CZ v22 upper. It works, and cost a lot less than a Spikes.

I'll have it @ the April LCR if anyone wants to finger it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I nailed down a pair of Cieners for about what a 10/22 runs nowdays. I have no problem sacrificing some accuracy for the portability. In a couple of minutes, I can turn any AR I have into a 22lr. It gives me versatility as well as the ability to plink or practice with any of my AR pile way cheaper than the centerfire stuff. For accuracy, I'll use a 10/22 or Ruger pistol.

Hey, Teletubby, I wanna goose that groovy looking 22 at lcr. It just looks way cool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it is a good idea for more and cheap practice.  I would get a dedicated gun or just start with an upper and piece a ugn together.

I have a spikes that I can not seem to get to run but I have more things to try.  I kind of wish I would have got the full 16" barrel to see if the extra back pressure helps cycling and to better match my M4.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I would say go with the cienier kit w/ BDM mags first then if you like it build a upper for the kit. My 22lr AR is one of the most fun to shoot and it usually one of the first rifles that gets put in the truck when I go plinking. My nieces (16,14,12) really like it as well since it has no recoil.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome pics and exactly what I am looking for to teach my two boys .22 on.  I can't wait.  I was going to get a Ruger 10/22 but even with this being a little more expensive, they would get a kick out of shooting an AR
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Spikes Tactical dedicated upper.  Yeah, it was kinda expensive and I could have gine with a conversion or built another 10/22 (have 3 already), but I wanted something different, yet similar. The 22 is setup almost identically to my S&W MP15T.  I figure it's paid about half it's cost in reduced ammo costs.  As for 22 ammo, I run across some at Wally World more often than anywhere else.  Cabella had 22 ammo last time I was there, but at $20/brick for remington––-I'll pass.  White Elephant has had 22 about half the time I stop there.

Two reasons I went with a dedicated upper: 1) It's different. 2.A.) No chance of LR lead clogging gas port/tube. 2.B.) Not putting a bunch of crud in the S&W's lower.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a CZ v22 upper. It works, and cost a lot less than a Spikes.

I'll have it @ the April LCR if anyone wants to finger it.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8461/img0002lo6.jpg

Discontinued by Manufacturer or I would have bought one today.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I wanna finger it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a spikes that I can not seem to get to run but I have more things to try.  I kind of wish I would have got the full 16" barrel to see if the extra back pressure helps cycling and to better match my M4.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/wombatslayer/stpats-002.jpg
Bring that shorty 22 to the LCR and I will tune it for you, they are easy to tune after doing over 30 of these kits

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring that shorty 22 to the LCR and I will tune it for you, they are easy to tune after doing over 30 of these kits

Question Redtazdog....Tactical Solutions dedicated complete upper or Spikes? I've been looking both today.
Roughly the same price.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Spike's dedicated upper and love it.  It will run over 1,000 rounds of CCI MiniMags flawlessly between cleanings with only 2 drops of oil.  The entire bolt assemble is nickel-plated so cleaning it is easy.  Their customer service is also top-notch.  

The Spike's uppers will also run on a RR/RDIAS, where IIRC the Tactical Solutions and other style conversions won't, in case that's a consideration for your future usage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question Redtazdog....Tactical Solutions dedicated complete upper or Spikes? I've been looking both today.
Roughly the same price.

You cant go wrong with one or the other. If you want to build your 22 upper then go with the Spikes 22 kit and barrel
then you can use the handguard, upper receiver you like.
The TacSol 22 bolt is all stainless and the barrel has a match chamber it shoots Aguila 40 grn subs without any tuning.
The Spikes is a Ciener/CMMG kit that has been nickle plated and will cycle hi vel ammo most of the time if
you use the ammo the 22 kit likes. If you want to shoot standard vel or susonic ammo then tuning will
be needed.
The spikes you can get the auto trip and anti bounce weight for FA.
The TacSol is only semi unless you make 2 small cuts on the bolt rails to hold the auto trip.
I will bring a few of my AR 22's to the LCR so you can check them out
If you decide to build/get a 22 upper before the shoot then we will have a 22 shootem
up party
I will have tools with me if your kit needs a little tuning.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I might take you up on that as I have not been to an LPCR in years.  I am in communication with Tom at spikes trying to get the thing working so hopefully it will be running before too long.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might take you up on that as I have not been to an LPCR in years.  I am in communication with Tom at spikes trying to get the thing working so hopefully it will be running before too long.

Its not easy for Tom to help someone by email or phone when he cant see what going on with the gun, i dont
know how he does it.
A big +100000000 for Tom

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Redtazdog you might want to start a sign up sheet and pay structure/barter requirements.

I'll likely have my Spikes Upper by the next LCR and if there's issues...  Yeah I'll come a calling.

Good to hear that someone local has a lot of experience with these.   Still trying to wrap my head
around $600+ for a .22LR but at the same time I hear they are well made, and I know they are fun to
shoot so, will likely order one in the A.M.      

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Redtazdog you might want to start a sign up sheet and pay structure/barter requirements.

I'll likely have my Spikes Upper by the next LCR and if there's issues...  Yeah I'll come a calling.

Good to hear that someone local has a lot of experience with these.   Still trying to wrap my head
around $600+ for a .22LR but at the same time I hear they are well made, and I know they are fun to

Dont even waste your $ on Rem 22lr ammo, most 22 kits dont like it.
High Vel ammo like CCI, Fed, Win, Aguila seem to be the ammo to use in 22 kits.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear, I've got 10K rounds of federal HV coming...

I Said to hell with it, got good and buzzed and ordered my Spikes upper tonight:

2 x Black Dog Magazine .22 Full Size (BD mag)  = $60.00
      Color Smoke Gray
2 x Black Dog Magazine .22 Full Size (BD mag)  = $60.00
      Color Black
1 x .22LR Upper with Light Weight Rail (.22LR Rifle)  = $660.00
      Barrel Upgrade No Upgrade
      Permanently Attached Break Not Applicable
      Full Auto Class III No Auto Trip Kit
      Barrel Length 16"
      Fake Can / Flash Hider Spike's Fake Can
      YHM Rail Rifle
      Gas Block / Front Site NONE

Should be entertaining....   Hunting for a cheap Leapers, or Simmons etc Optic to throw on the rail...  

Now the waiting, but I felt much better after pulling the trigger and putting the last nail in my CCs coffin.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What about a 10.25 or 11.5" with or without suppressor? Do you think subsonic ammo would cycle them or at least be tuned to be able to (with a ceiner/atchisson or modified version)? I'm leaning towards M1S just because they are about $150 less expensive than Spikes and include a magazine. I don't want to bother if I can't use my suppressor on it and get it to feed subsonic 40 gr ammos.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a 10.25 or 11.5" with or without suppressor? Do you think subsonic ammo would cycle them or at least be tuned to be able to (with a ceiner/atchisson or modified version)? I'm leaning towards M1S just because they are about $150 less expensive than Spikes and include a magazine. I don't want to bother if I can't use my suppressor on it and get it to feed subsonic 40 gr ammos.

I have a 4.5 inch barrel AR22 that cycles sub ammo with and without a can.
These kits are made to shoot HV ammo but sometimes after a few hundred rounds of break in they will cycle lower powered ammo.
I have tuned all my 22's to shoot susonic ammo without a can and you can too

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top