Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2006 10:39:24 PM EDT
So I finally broke down after the years of hype about the Ipods and such and got myself a Microsoft Zune.  I've dumped all the..ahem..MP3s that found their way to my computer over the years, easy enough.  Now I've found that these damned things are a lot of work.  Sitting here with every CD I've purchased since high school and dumping them onto the Zune one by one...It's pretty hard work!

Of course, first order of business was: Dump all the LCR Vids to it

Overall, a pretty neat gadget.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 2:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been loving mine since the day it came out... Songs are great, it has a very good radio tuner, and an EQ that does wonders.  And dont forget a truly sweet screen.  All my pr0n videos look magnificent.

I use the Altec M604 speakers while at work to play muzak in the hangout and also charge it.

Guess letting PCR fondle my Zune did the trick.

DOWN WITH APPLE / iPOD!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not into packing lots of gadgets around with me, so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard the Zune is a less-user friendly knock off of the iPod, lacking support for Vista and with a bunch of DRM restrictions as to what you can play and rip to it.

Personally, I use ogg's served off my house server, so I'm not really the target market for iPods or Zunes.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So I finally broke down after the years of hype about the Ipods and such and got myself a Microsoft Zune.  I've dumped all the..ahem..MP3s that found their way to my computer over the years, easy enough.  Now I've found that these damned things are a lot of work.  Sitting here with every CD I've purchased since high school and dumping them onto the Zune one by one...It's pretty hard work!

Of course, first order of business was: Dump all the LCR Vids to it

Overall, a pretty neat gadget.

I have the IPOD and it has the same problem, takes forever to load a bunch of CD's but I do like not having to load the songs I don't like. The online store is ok also, I got $25.00 credit and couldn't find 25 songs I liked.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess letting PCR fondle my Zune did the trick.

I thought it was everything else you let him fondle that made you the trick.......

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally think they are all the same.  I have the Dell Pocket DJ, only because I got it for free from our Dell Rep @ Work.  She used to throw in some awesome freebies when we ordered large quantities.  Anyhow, the only thing I hate is the Apple has the market cornered.  EVERYTHING is made for iPOD and it's hard to find add-ons for other brands.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm not into packing lots of gadgets around with me, so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard the Zune is a less-user friendly knock off of the iPod, lacking support for Vista and with a bunch of DRM restrictions as to what you can play and rip to it.

Personally, I use ogg's served off my house server, so I'm not really the target market for iPods or Zunes.

www.zune.net/en-us/support/howto/start/operatingsystems.htm

I'm sorry, aside from only being able to play a song a few times that was wirelessly transfered to my zune from another zune, what DRM are you talking about?  I have yet to buy a single track for mine.  (Yes, I bought the CDs that I ripped ages ago to my hard drive using DBPowerAMP. No built in DRM there.)  Yes, OGG VORBIS or APE would be *nice* but the only thing I wish is that it had more video codecs like XVID or DVIX or VOB.
I also have to say I much prefer the Zune menus. Scrolling through thousands of songs is easy and fast.  The menus themselves are very quick and responsive as well.

Whats next?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]
LIES! You be from Microsoft trying to deceive us! UNBELIEVER! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

Did it make you convert your MP3's into a DRM'd WMA's?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
^^^^ um, no.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LIES! You be from Microsoft trying to deceive us! UNBELIEVER! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

Nope.  Any conversion that was done, was done as it put the files onto the zune.  My original files appear to be in tact and I don't have any dupes on my HD.

I guess I'm ok with the Zune because I never owned an IPOD and all my music on my computer is MP3.  I think I'm more in love with the idea of what this thing can do.  I have almost 5000 songs on it now and I think thats pretty damned cool that I can take them all with me anywhere.

ok, I'll admit it. I do loathe apple
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  Any conversion that was done, was done as it put the files onto the zune.  My original files appear to be in tact and I don't have any dupes on my HD.

I guess I'm ok with the Zune because I never owned an IPOD and all my music on my computer is MP3.  I think I'm more in love with the idea of what this thing can do.  I have almost 5000 songs on it now and I think thats pretty damned cool that I can take them all with me anywhere.

Thanks for letting me know. Probably requires Media Player 11 though?

Sounds like it could be a winner, I'll wait for a while to see though. On the flipside anything that makes Steve Jobs sleepless has to be a good thing At least Bill Gates doesn't want everyone to go around wearing black turtle necks
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess Bill won't be happy until he steals all of someone else's ideas.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for letting me know. Probably requires Media Player 11 though?

Sounds like it could be a winner, I'll wait for a while to see though. On the flipside anything that makes Steve Jobs sleepless has to be a good thing At least Bill Gates doesn't want everyone to go around wearing black turtle necks

Nope, the zune software is it's own media player.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I was basing my comments on this article:

Only the Zune software can sync music, video and pictures onto the device; Zune is incompatible with Windows Media Player, the familiar hub of the Windows desktop media experience.
It's incompatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure standard, too.

You'll have to buy all-new content from the new Zune Marketplace.
No, the Zune's sole wireless feature is "squirting" -- I know, I know, it's Microsoft's term, not mine -- music and pictures to any other Zune device within direct Wi-Fi range. Even if the track is inherently free (like a podcast) the Zune wraps it in a DRM scheme that causes the track to self-destruct after three days or three plays, whichever comes first.

Like I said, I'm not likely to buy either of them. Its a bit ironic, actually, since once of my projects was an MP3 player for the Handspring Visor, even then I just couldn't find enough uses to justify packing the thing around with me. Even my Linux running Sharp Zaurus is being used for something totally different than intended (serial to 802.11 adapter), instead of spending time in my pocket.

Rune75's phone does look pretty cool though, with everything integrated into one small device. But I won't pay more than $15 a month for cell service. Call me a techno-luddite I guess  
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Only the Zune software can sync music, video and pictures onto the device; Zune is incompatible with Windows Media Player, the familiar hub of the Windows desktop media experience.

No, the Zune's sole wireless feature is "squirting" -- I know, I know, it's Microsoft's term, not mine -- music and pictures to any other Zune device within direct Wi-Fi range. Even if the track is inherently free (like a podcast) the Zune wraps it in a DRM scheme that causes the track to self-destruct after three days or three plays, whichever comes first.

Like I said, I'm not likely to buy either of them. Its a bit ironic, actually, since once of my projects was an MP3 player for the Handspring Visor, even then I just couldn't find enough uses to justify packing the thing around with me. Even my Linux running Sharp Zaurus is being used for something totally different than intended (serial to 802.11 adapter), instead of spending time in my pocket.

Rune75's phone does look pretty cool though, with everything integrated into one small device. But I won't pay more than $15 a month for cell service. Call me a techno-luddite I guess  

Everything in the quoted article is correct...sort of:

"You'll have to buy all-new content from the new Zune Marketplace. "

It's a bit missleading.  I have Gigs of .mp3 files and was able to use them right away in the Zune.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
My biggest gripe with the Zune:  It's HUGE! Yeah, it has a big, purdy screen.  And with it comes the big, not-so-purdy case. Personally, if I'm going to carry around a dedicated music/video player, I want it to be small. Otherwise, it needs to do more, like gps navigation, interactive games, internet browsing, etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#19]
My phone does everything I need it to do.

Summary of Key Features
• One of the first devices to run on Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0; Optimized for Microsoft Exchange 2003 and a variety of third party email solutions that enable a broad set of corporate email capabilities*
• Thinnest QWERTY device in the world – 11.5mm
• Full, ergonomic QWERTY keyboard, 5-way navigation button and thumb wheel
• Video clip capture and playback
• Connectivity via Bluetooth, IrDA and mini-USB; compatible with Motorola H500, HT820, H5, H600, H700 Bluetooth wireless headsets
• Multi-Media Messaging (MMS)
• Dual, stereo-quality speakers
• Audio formats supported: iMelody, MIDI, MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, WAX, QCELP
• Image formats supported: GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG, WBMP, BMP, PNG
• Video formats supported: H.263, MPEG-4, GSM-AMR, AAC, WMV
• Mini-SD removable memory card slot
• Large, high-resolution display (320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT)
• 1.3 mega pixel camera with photo lighting
• PIM functionality with Picture Caller ID
• Advanced speech recognition and speakerphone
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Am I the only one left who listens to the radio?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#22]
ahhhhhhh, the apple gods are displeased with this site now, they will strike it down within the next few days.
I have an Ipod, does that make me evil?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ahhhhhhh, the apple gods are displeased with this site now, they will strike it down within the next few days.

No, but it does make you one of these....

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Radio sounds great on my Zune  But when Im on the 2nd or 3rd or 4th deck of a submarine, radio is not an option...

Quoted:
My biggest gripe with the Zune:  It's HUGE! Yeah, it has a big, purdy screen.  And with it comes the big, not-so-purdy case. Personally, if I'm going to carry around a dedicated music/video player, I want it to be small. Otherwise, it needs to do more, like gps navigation, interactive games, internet browsing, etc.

Doesnt your Dell Axim already do your GPS work?  heh it aint so tiny either

Quoted:

Damn right it does

Quoted:

Thanx... I love my Samsung i730.  I get ~60KB a second downloading stuff on my phone. Windows Mobile 2005 is great.  Besides, I dont have a house phone... so I dont mind spending a bit more on my cell.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I just picked up a Sirius Stiletto.  Stores 100hrs (2 Gigs worth of Mp3s), can stream Sirius via 802.11b and Satellite.  

My 40Gig Ipod might be collecting dust were it not for some of the discographys I have.  btjunkie.com is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
iPods rule...  Saying someone is a lemming for havng one is like saying everyone on this site that has an AR-15 as a lemming too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just picked up a Sirius Stiletto.  Stores 100hrs (2 Gigs worth of Mp3s), can stream Sirius via 802.11b and Satellite.  

My 40Gig Ipod might be collecting dust were it not for some of the discographys I have.  btjunkie.com is your friend.

I love Sirius.  I got it free when I bought my Jeep.  I figured I'd just run out the free year and then disconnect it.  Now I'm a total addict!  I hate regular radio now.  To much static and commercials!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
iPods rule...  Saying someone is a lemming for havng one is like saying everyone on this site that has an AR-15 as a lemming too.

One problem:  Niether Colt or Armalite had a gay rainbow in their logo.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#29]
that was Macintosh's logo...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Doesnt your Dell Axim already do your GPS work?  heh it aint so tiny either
It does.  And it plays music. And movies. And I can surf the internet, via Wi-Fi. And it can tell time. And keep track of calendar items and contact information. Which is why I got it, instead of a standalone MP3/Video player.

It seems you noticed my point ...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
that was Macintosh's logo...

I seem to recall that Apple (the company that made both the iPod and the Macintosh) still uses that very same logo... even if they took the gay love hippie parade out of the fore front.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1

Also, that DRM thing keeps me away from any of those devices, which are heavily constrained by its draconian philosophy (read ripping people off - same as the DVDs' region-based limitations).   My philosophy is that I buy the CD, ergo I can play the musics wherever and whenever I want.   I currently own a Sandisk player and consider getting a Creative Labs or Archos model that are not so entrenched on DRM.

Another thing that keeps me away from those $0.99/music sites is the absurd price.   The musics should cost much less if you consider that you pay about the same for a CD, which comes in a physical media with printed material, distibution costs (transportation, store costs, etc.) and so on.   Talk about gauging prices and the "lemmings" falling for it...

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Another thing that keeps me away from those $0.99/music sites is the absurd price.   The musics should cost much less if you consider that you pay about the same for a CD, which comes in a physical media with printed material, distibution costs (transportation, store costs, etc.) and so on.   Talk about gauging prices and the "lemmings" falling for it...

Even though I agree with you basically that pay for music sites suck and I refuse to use them, you miss a biggest problem with CDs today.

Artists are almost all now 1 hit wonders made by the music industry to push a cheap CD with artists that get paid almost nothing for the album. But then again, there is typically only 1 or 2 good songs per CD now so perhaps the fact that the artist gets paid a pittance is deserved. ANYWAYS, even though I do not buy from those music sites, the idea to me is sound.  Buy the 1-3 tracks that are good and screw the rest and save the other 10 bux that the CD would have cost you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even though I agree with you basically that pay for music sites suck and I refuse to use them, you miss a biggest problem with CDs today.

Artists are almost all now 1 hit wonders made by the music industry to push a cheap CD with artists that get paid almost nothing for the album. But then again, there is typically only 1 or 2 good songs per CD now so perhaps the fact that the artist gets paid a pittance is deserved. ANYWAYS, even though I do not buy from those music sites, the idea to me is sound.  Buy the 1-3 tracks that are good and screw the rest and save the other 10 bux that the CD would have cost you.

+1 only a few good song on a CD, the rest are trash.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#35]
It's nice and off-topic, now ... but I think you guys need to upgrade your music choices if you think there's only one or two good songs per album.  I'd say of the last 10 CDs I've bought, there might have been a total of 5 songs I didn't like.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Who says I buy CDs?  Crap, a lot of what I like, you cant get in this country.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#37]
It's true that many CDs have few good musics.  However, I tend to select rhe artists and most of mine have 80 or more % good musics.  

By the way... briging the original topic back, here's my consumer dream:

www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15752

Costs less than $300 but my house remodeling is taking all my time (and money).  

iPods are overpriced and the Zune still has long ways to go before I consider it in my list.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No, but it does make you one of these....

pspupdates.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/11409/Lemmings_lkugiutry_qjgenth.jpg

Any running Windows doesn't?

Quoted:
One problem:  Niether Colt or Armalite had a gay rainbow in their logo.....

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/Apple_Computer_Logo.svg/500px-

Which is exactly why they dumped the rainbow....
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I finally broke down and bought one.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Ah, yer a lil to far away for me to squirt you...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That just sounds wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Just had my first run in with DRM.

Downloaded a song and tried to add it to an MG video.

No dice.

Now I need a way to hack the DRM.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That just sounds wrong.

Well, why dont you buy one and I'll squirt you...  Then you'll see what all the fuss is about
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hoping this has something to do with transferring music between two zunes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Oh and lets NOT forget the marketing Genius behind the Turd Brown Zune...    

Ipods Force you to jump through your ass to play your own MP3's and your stuck with Itunes...  Not horrible but Screw you for telling me how and where I am getting my music.

Zune, (Who the hell came up with this GAY Name), More of the same, Big Brother in a box, only this time it's the Mildly retarded BIGGER Brother...

I found a little Cube about a year ago.  Loaded a bunch of music on it, carried it from place to place for a couple of weeks and never bothered with it since.  I dig the Ipod Nano because the design and form is just right.  Otherwise, I cannot think of a really good use for em'.  

I burn CD's of what I want to listen too. I can get about 80 or so Mp3 on a single disk and the car and computers at work and at home have no problems...  Best part is, if someone likes what they are hearing I can always just hand them the disk and burn me a new one...  Costs about .20.  Oh, and it doesn't expire.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Can you use the Zune with Napster?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

If Napster downloads in MP3 format, yes.  You'll still need the Zune software for your synching.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Napster downloads in MP3 format, yes.  You'll still need the Zune software for your synching.

You need the zune software installed, yes. But you do not need to use it to sync. google for *zune hack* and patch your registry. then you can just open My Computer and drag and drop your mp3s onto your zune.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That just sounds wrong.

Well, why dont you buy one and I'll squirt you...  Then you'll see what all the fuss is about

so tempting...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top