Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:51:04 PM EDT
AP News story

I mean how many have gone and bought surplus mags at local Milsurp stores...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The thing is, those mags most likely are not "surplus" just because the store is an army surplus store.  My guess is they are brought in by GI's who don't return the mags after field excersises and are then sold to the shops.  Interceptor OTV's, plates, gas masks, and much of the field equipment belongs to the government regardless, if they were issued by the military.  They don't become personal property.  OTV's and ceramic plates are not surplused at all, they are desroyed.  I know that seems stupid, but it is the way it is.  Civilians outside the military most likely are unaware of this fact and government agents i.e. NCIS, CID, can come knocking to get their property back if they know you have it and wish to pursue it.  If you are knowingly buying stolen property, you can be prosecuted in civilian court, but as I said, most of the people who buy the goods are completely unaware that they are actully stolen,  so they just will end up having to forfeit the items and possibly be summoned to a trial of the person who stole the items.  You will not be compensated for your loss either, after all the property belongs to the government  The GI's who sell the property probably know better and if caught will likely face a court marshall that at the least will ruin their military career and at worst, spend time behind bars and be a felon now.  Contact the DOD and they will tell you the same thing.  I know some of us like to have the latest and greatest and mean no harm, but it isn't worth the hassles you may end up getting.  Best to buy from a legitimate source.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Could they get pissy and knock down doors looking for a $5 magazine sure but they won't and never have. The point is they don't care ...

Most of the stuff is expendable individual issue and non accountable XB3 items that they would throw away/demil or send to DRMO to be destroyed or sold for micro pennies on the dollar because it is not cost effective to return it into the normal supply system.

Now if you are in the mil and are STEALING vast quantities of mags or critical non expendable items etc they will always take great offense at that...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Magazines aren't anything to get  worried about, OTV's, plates, gas masks, are totally different.  The plates are controlled as munitions according to DOD.  If you don't want  any government snooping into your life, I would suggest not buying any OTV's or plates.  If you aren't sure as to what you can and can't have contact DOD, it's better than having them contact you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear ya, pertaining to the low end items, but here's the thing.

walk into ANY milsurp store down in Tillicum, and you can walk out with a full battleset of gear short of the rifle, sidearm and ammo.

OTV's, plates and ballistic inserts, neck guard, crotch and throat attachments, Gas masks, current issue helmets with NV mounting hardware, etc.

What kills me is that the .gov and .mil are looking to prosecute offenders, but sitting right outside their bases are places like Historical Military Sales, The Foxhole, and that one place thats run by the dragon lady and her brood.

It ain't all XB3, or TA51 sitting on the shelves or behind the counter.

hell, you could walk into one of the stores, plunk down about $600, walk out with a fully equipped Interceptor vest with both plates and all the attachments, then drive over to Tactical Tailor to have them provide their OTV buckle mod and no one would so much as ask you why you have an Interceptor rig.

And don't forget those, "Not for resale" boxes of current issue MRE's you can buy for $40 per case of 12.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad I don't have any of that stuff
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Wespe DRMO is selling OTVs, they are rough and well used though. Alot of surplus stores around Ft.Lewis are selling them, they have DRMO stamps.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You sure they aren't just the outer covers?   I was told by DOD agents that they are to be shredded.

Perhaps things have changed but just about 2 years ago they were to be shredded or rendered unusable here is a link.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2004/nr20040408-0537.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You sure they aren't just the outer covers?   I was told by DOD agents that they are to be shredded.

100% sure they are not just the outer vest.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Perhaps things have changed but just about 2 years ago they were to be shredded or rendered unusable here is a link.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2004/nr20040408-0537.html

Since I was standing next to 161Inf yesterday, looking a the same vest...No. it's the cover+kevlar...in some cases Ballistic plates.

The best part was last week, and the VeitNam era vest in the back at the Foxhole. Shot with about #9 birdshot and either rifle or slugs, they STILL wanted $80!!!!!!!!

Myself and 161Inf were 2 pissed off MF'ers back in Nov-Dec '03. We saw at least two Interceptors on sale in Tillicum, and hadn't even been given a date as to when ours would be issued. 60 days from boots onj the ground in IRQ, and we were nerveous.
Last week and this past one, i think we saw no less than 12 on sale, and at least 4 with plates.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, they must have changed procedures, if they have gone through DRMO process I would say they are ok to own.  I guess you could look for a DRMO stamp?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't really care about this equipment being available, other than it being stolen.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The best part was last week, and the VeitNam era vest in the back at the Foxhole. Shot with about #9 birdshot and either rifle or slugs, they STILL wanted $80!!!!!!!!

Myself and 161Inf were 2 pissed off MF'ers back in Nov-Dec '03. We saw at least two Interceptors on sale in Tillicum, and hadn't even been given a date as to when ours would be issued. 60 days from boots onj the ground in IRQ, and we were nerveous.

Last week and this past one, i think we saw no less than 12 on sale, and at least 4 with plates.

They marked the price down since I was in there last.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top