Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 7:55:09 PM EDT
This evening, Brian Suits (1st. Lt, WANG) was talking about small items to send the troops in the sandbox.  He suggested contacting Olympic Arms and getting ambidextrous safeties for left-handed soldiers.  He told an interesting story that backed up why they should be standard issue for lefties.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Take that!

Uhhhh, make sure they're select fire....burst?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
He really does a bang up job of tearing down my theory of the Anti-gun media in Seattle.

But what the hell do you expect, He is a former MEDIC, and lives in the Monroe area.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This evening, Brian Suits (1st. Lt, WA ARNG) was talking about small items to send the troops in the sandbox.  He suggested contacting Olympic Arms and getting ambidextrous safeties for left-handed soldiers.  He told an interesting story that backed up why they should be standard issue for lefties.

Fixt it for ya!

JS98010, SSgt.  WA ANG

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Being a lefty, I have a different view on ambi selectors.  I've got one on one of my ARs, and frankly, I don't like it.  When I use the ambi selector, the left side of it hits the top of my hand by the first joint.  Sometimes that prevents the selector from moving, sometimes it just slows it down.  I've thought about doing some WECSOG on it and lowering the profile to help alleviate that.  

Here is another thing to consider.  If you have an ambi selector on your AR, or even a lefty only model, and you train (hard) with it, you will learn to use it that way.  That is great, until you pick up another rifle in the heat of battle (yours is damaged, destroyed, hopelessly jammed) that doesn't have that particular selector.  Now your muscle memory and training are fighting against you, trying to use a selector that isn't there!  Bad juju in my book.  For us SHTF-minded civvies, probably not as big an issue (we aren't likely to have another AR to pick up) but for guys in the sandbox, it could be fatal.  

I'm of the opinion that basic controls on an AR should be left standard.  The AR is actually fairly lefty friendly as it is.  I use my trigger finger to change the selector and actuate the bolt release.  I have installed a Norgon ambi-catch, but frankly, it isn't quite right (not enough leverage.)  So I use my right thumb to drop the mags.  Train to use the weapon in its standard configuration, and you will always be able to grab any AR and use it right away.  

I think the worst possible idea is the Stag Arms lefty upper.  Talk about really screwing you up...

YMMV.

Scott

ETA:  Suits heart is in the right place though!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This evening, Brian Suits (1st. Lt, WANG) was talking about small items to send the troops in the sandbox.  He suggested contacting Olympic Arms and getting ambidextrous safeties for left-handed soldiers.  He told an interesting story that backed up why they should be standard issue for lefties.

[rant]
He's NOT in the frickin' AIR NATIONAL GUARD!!!!!!
[/rant]
Sorry, had to get that out of my system, even though it's been mentioned.

Lt and myself had a phone conversation, Tues(?)...he said you all seemed like a decent bunch of rabid gunnuts....ect, ect....and we spoke about this very issue. He's looking to build another lower (It'll be his 1st build) for a reciever he'll soon be in possesion of. The leftie thing has been a pretty big topic with him since I showed him the SGN ad for the Stag Arms Leftie upper...I guess his mileage varied?
The whole picking up your buddies rifle in combat......I dunno, I'm not a "wronghander", so I see it differently, but the what's the average number of leftie in an average Rifle Company? 1 in 10?

BTW- Lt was not only a Medic, but a Lab wienee, Cav Scout and started as an enlisted guy. Made SFC/E-7 before he turned to the Dark Side he recieved his commision. One of the reasons we all liked him, was that he knew the job from the ground up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[rant]
[/rant]

Lt and myself had a phone conversation, Tues(?)...he said you all seemed like a decent bunch of rabid gunnuts....ect, ect....and we spoke about this very issue. He's looking to build another lower (It'll be his 1st build) for a reciever he'll soon be in possesion of. The leftie thing has been a pretty big topic with him since I showed him the SGN ad for the Stag Arms Leftie upper...I guess his mileage varied?
The whole picking up your buddies rifle in combat......I dunno, I'm not a "wronghander", so I see it differently, but the what's the average number of leftie in an average Rifle Company? 1 in 10?

BTW- Lt was not only a Medic, but a Lab wienee, Cav Scout and started as an enlisted guy. Made SFC/E-7 before he turned to the Dark Side he recieved his commision. One of the reasons we all liked him, was that he knew the job from the ground up.

Well if he needs a hand putting that thing in action, Im up the road and have the tools, and if there is anything strange he will need, then DaBunny is a phone call away...

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[rant]
[/rant]

I know that.  I was trying to abbreviate "Washington National Guard."
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

At FNRL we generally have 15 to 18 shooters.  Out of those, 4 of us shoot rifles "southpaw."  So that is 1 in 4 roughly.  That may not be very representative, but that is the group I run with.  

I'm actually right handed, but because of eye dominance and acuity issues, I switched to shooting rifles lefty many years ago.  I can shoot off either shoulder fine.  It is funny to watch "one shoulder" guys when we switch the COF to off-shoulder only.  Their times and scores go to shit.  Hard to "pie" a corner using just one shoulder.  he said pie!

Having both left and right handed rifle shooters is nice.  Makes doing a stack a little easier in terms of muzzle control.  In a SHTF, we figure we'll put the lefties on the right side of the car/column/whatever, and the righties on the left.....

Scott
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Washington ARmy National Guard.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know you were-and had been corrected once....it's a pet peeve.
On the other hand, it's a pet peeve because there's guys in my unit that do the same thing...

Tweak, R-32- Thanks guys, I'll pass it along and keep you posted...

BTW, guys, it's really expressed as WAshington ARmy National Guard WAARNG.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know you were-and had been corrected once....it's a pet peeve.
On the other hand, it's a pet peeve because there's guys in my unit that do the same thing...

Tweak, R-32- Thanks guys, I'll pass it along and keep you posted...

BTW, guys, it's really expressed as WAshington ARmy National Guard WAARNG.  

ARRRRRGGGG?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ARRRRRGGGG?

You have not been paying attention...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARRRRRGGGG?

Nothing really, nevermind....  Was just something we were saying alot at the shoot...inside joke with those that were there...sorry for the hijack, I will now go flog myslef.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARRRRRGGGG?

Nothing really, nevermind....  Was just something we were saying alot at the shoot...inside joke with those that were there...sorry for the hijack, I will now go flog myslef.

So why would you bring it out in this thread that had nothning to do with any of that?...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARRRRRGGGG?

So why would you bring it out in this thread that had nothning to do with any of that?...

<<SIGH>>

BTW, guys, it's really expressed as WAshington ARmy National Guard WAARNG

As a play on words (being a bit silly).  I was clarifying weather or not Matt45 meant ARRRRRGH! when he said WARNG...  I can see that my sense of humor is lost on some and shall never again be so dissrespectful as to crack a joke that I am not sure everyone will get.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As a play on words (being a bit silly).

Dont be silly, These guy's are Silly

I was clarifying weather or not Matt45 meant ARRRRRGH! when he said WARNG...

I guess I am blind, I dont see how he could have ment that..

I honestly thought you were trying to tie in this thread with the recent run of Pirate jokes.

I can see that my sense of humor is lost on some

No I guess just me....

and shall never again be so dissrespectful as to crack a joke that I am not sure everyone will get.  

Now that is better!, But I dont think everyone should have to go without, So I ask that you IM me all of your jokes before you post them, If I get it, I will give you the OK.......

And ummmm, One more thing...

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Brian Suits, he's an Air America on-air personality, right?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Matt45 has pet peeves?? Who would of thunk it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I broke out the crayons for you. . .

WA ANG

WA ARNG

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Is the LT up for accepting beer from a grateful citizen?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#24]
OK PCR, just for you-
Waaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnggggggg!

Tweak, I won't even justify that with a response.

Quoted:
Is the LT up for accepting beer from a grateful citizen?  

Sure Mikey, I'm sure he won't pass up a beer or two- I DO know, however, he favors the higher-end singlemalts...

OTOH- He is a Lt., commissioned Officerr and Gentleman. I am the lowley enlisted grunt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sure Mikey, I'm sure he won't pass up a beer or two- I DO know, however, he favors the higher-end singlemalts...

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#26]
OlyArms does have those cute reversible safeties. Here's the problem as I see it: The troops need full-auto parts, and WA state law forbids a manufacturer from sending full-auto parts to anyone except Class-2 SOTs or a military unit, so they won't just sell you a bucketful of these things to send overseas. Maybe it's possible to arrange a direct shipment to an armory unit Over There; Matt45, you got any likely candidates? (I'll ask Sgt_Gumby too-- any of you guys who know a unit armorer in Iraq, please let me know, and we'll put them on the list. We'll probably have to have a formal request on a unit letterhead.) Once they're incountry they can be handed out like Rolaids. I'll see what I can find out about it on the other end-- I was out sick yesterday. Watch out for this new crap-- it's nasty.

BTW: Where I come from, it's the Guard, the Air Guard, and the Reg'lars.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, I can't think of a lefty I know in Theater, and know no one in a weapons repair shop....

There's a few problems with what is being proposed-

Disposition-wise, is it even legal to acquire them on a letterhead, and ship them via USPS to an APO in Iraq? (Phil????)

It's 100% against mil regs to modify a weapon with civilian parts, unless you can get a Commander to approve it, and then it's still "Not right". This is NOT how SOCCOM and other SpecOps Units operate, but in the Big Army, that's how it goes.

I doubt the buracracy that controls "Admin" units like a weapons repair section in a Foward Support Bn would allow them to have/install such things.

The DoD gets really crazy with itself if things like this leak to the press-

They finally got Armor, but now thier weapons don't work...WA State citizens buy parts for the troops the Army won't....

Everyone who goes through Basic/AIT is taught to shoot "Righty" or is forced to learn how to use the rifle as is. That's basic doctrine, and how "they" feel about it.

Having said that- If you knew of a specific individual, in a deploying unit, who's commander will "play ball", then you might be able to work something out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Disposition-wise, is it even legal to acquire them on a letterhead, and ship them via USPS to an APO in Iraq? (Phil????)

I don't know how/if the APO will affect it but otherwise "a metric ton of paperwork" for example:

from the USPS

541.11 Exporting Munitions

The exportation of certain munitions (arms or implements of war, parts or components thereof, and related technical data) requires an individual license issued by the Office of Munitions Control, Department of State. Munitions subject to license include the following:

a. Nonautomatic and semiautomatic rifles, carbines, revolvers, and pistols, regardless of caliber (except those of .50 caliber or less manufactured prior to 1898).

b. Shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches in length.

c. All machine guns, submachine guns, machine pistols, and fully automatic rifles.
541.12 Obtaining Information

The sender may obtain information as to the applicability of the State Department requirements and how to apply for an individual license from:

OFFICE OF DEFENSE TRADE CONTROL
ARMS LICENSING DIVISION
US DEPARTMENT OF STATE
PM/DTC SA-6 RM 200
WASHINGTON DC 20522-0602

there is something in the regs about $100 floor, but with all of the hassle involved with the DOD .MIL .GOV there's too much playing with fire for my comfort level if I were on the liability end of things.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#29]

there is something in the regs about $100 floor, but with all of the hassle involved with the DOD .MIL .GOV there's too much playing with fire for my comfort level if I were on the liability end of things.

Agreed.

Damn, YOU are good. I didn't even IM ya!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Ah, well-- it was a lovely sentiment. They're available off-the-shelf down there for any civilian who wants one, anyway.

(ETA: The semiauto ones, I mean. )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top