Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2020 9:52:25 AM EDT
For the PA home town FFL's
I'm a NYS resident but I have a residence in PA.
I want to know can I sell a shotgun at a fun show thru a FFL to another person that is attending the show or is there another procedure.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can. Transferring it though a FFL is the correct procedure for a sale between residents of different states. This is also not uncommon for dealers to do at a show because PA law requires it for all private handgun sales anyway except certain transfers between family members. Just expect of course to pay a nominal transfer fee, typically $20-40.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
OP said shotgun not handgun.  In PA you can sell a long arm without a transfer.  If OP has a PA driver's license, I don't see why OP would have an issue selling it to another PA resident that is not prohibitive person.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes you can. Transferring it though a FFL is the correct procedure for a sale between residents of different states. This is also not uncommon for dealers to do at a show because PA law requires it for all private handgun sales anyway except certain transfers between family members. Just expect of course to pay a nominal transfer fee, typically $20-40.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP said shotgun not handgun.  In PA you can sell a long arm without a transfer.  If OP has a PA driver's license, I don't see why OP would have an issue selling it to another PA resident that is not prohibitive person.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Under letter of the law if OP is not currently residing at his PA residence, on a permanent or part time basis, he is not legally a resident of PA for the purposes of acquiring firearms according to ATF. I understand he was talking about a shotgun but my point was PA dealers do in-person private transfers somewhat regularly so it's not an unusual request.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a NYS resident
View Quote

gotta go through an FFL

if you were a PA resident it would be kosher to cash and carry long guns at a gun show, to another PA resident, in a private sale.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, that's what I thought.  Had a FFL dealer tell me that It was a violation of fed law and that I had to sell him the shot gun.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
At any rate, you said a handgun, while OP was talking about a long arm.  If OP has dual residency and a PA driver's license, he would be able to sell it to another PA resident.

Quoted:

Under letter of the law if OP is not currently residing at his PA residence, on a permanent or part time basis, he is not legally a resident of PA for the purposes of acquiring firearms according to ATF. I understand he was talking about a shotgun but my point was PA dealers do in-person private transfers somewhat regularly so it's not an unusual request.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top