Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2017 9:46:17 PM EDT
show website

This place is a big giant equipment playground for the whole weekend.  its something you have to see.  

August 11-13, 2017
Admission:
$5.00 per person
Children under 12 - FREE!

Free parking

Breakfast served at whistle stop
at
(7:00 AM - 9:00 AM)
show closes at 6 PM

FYI all this equipment is running and fully functional... you can see em working, driving and operating these pieces of history.  Ive been going to this show twice a year for about 20 years.

Antique tractors
Antique Construction
Steam Traction & Portable Engines
Shingle Mill
Virtual Coal Mine Display
Rope Making
Rock Crusher
Antique Gas Engines
Flour Corn Mill
Sawmill
Crafts
Flea Market
Working Blacksmith
Great Food Booths
Live Daily Entertainment
Threshing & Baling
Parades Daily

NATIONAL PIKE STEAM SHOW 2016

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The show was awesome this year.  I think its the biggest one I have seen.  I spent almost all day there.

I ran into a 95 YO guy that I know walking all around this place.. Its 75-100 acres, so lots of walking if you want to see everything.
WW2, Korea, and Vietnam vet.     Flew B17's in the big war, B29's in Korea, and a C-119 in Vietnam.  Said he has piloted 30 different aircraft in his career.  I see this dude a couple times a year and he always has a new interesting story to tell. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I was there all day Sunday with the family. My uncle has a couple old wheel horse tractors he takes out there for the kids to ride around. Were you the gentleman that was flying the white drone?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
No.

That vid above isn't mine either.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty cool Scoped. That's a weekend few can say they've had; definitely different 

Were there a lot of steam powered engines? 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty cool Scoped. That's a weekend few can say they've had; definitely different 

Were there a lot of steam powered engines?
View Quote
Probably 10. There's an operational steam roller, a Buffalo Springfield model.
There's is a rock crushing operation, powered by several steam engines, that allows you to throw rocks in and watch them get crushed and moved on a conveyor to a railed dump cart.
There's a guy running small steam engines that you can really get up close and personal with... and see exactly how they work..

Most of the show is old diesel powered equipment. From huge to small.

There's a spring show listed on the website.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Been meaning to get to this for years, still haven't made it. Is it true the second show of the year is always a little bigger and better?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been meaning to get to this for years, still haven't made it. Is it true the second show of the year is always a little bigger and better?
View Quote
For me it's better because there are less people overall and less people that have no clue....for instance, wearing sandals... lol it's on a farm with dirt and gravel.
The spring show is about 90% what the fall show is, except more people....because it's on pike days weekend and free. People wander in from the  Pike days festivities....

there is a few more pieces of equipment running and on display at the fall show. Also the fall show always has a big name sponsor.  This year it was Gravely. Next year will be Mack.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]
There's another huge show coming up, in Coolspring Pa. It's all stationary engines in multiple buildings. Mostly running, from fractional HP up to 600HP

It's Oct 19,20,21 I think.

I'll start another thread about that.

http://coolspringpowermuseum.org/Exhibits.htm

http://coolspringpowermuseum.org/Exhibits.htm
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
JK

I forgot to add above to the list of steam stuff.  they also have two steam shovels in operation. here is a picture of one of them. and right behind is the other.

I also want to add that you are free to walk anywhere you want while they are running as long as you keep a safe distance.  You also might be able to convince an owner to allow you to operate a machine. I made friends with a guy who has a UNIT shovel and he let me run it.... it was much different than the modern stuff, and much more complicated to operate.

this isnt the same shovel I ran, but it is from the same show.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
this is one of the neatest dozers you will ever see.
it has twin Detroit diesels and each track has its own engine. its one of the most powerful dozers ever made. I think its mid 60's vintage.

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to try to really make a point of getting to that show next year. I regret not making the trip every year, but especially after I see pics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to try to really make a point of getting to that show next year. I regret not making the trip every year, but especially after I see pics.
View Quote
well the spring show is sooner.  come to that one.

if you are coming to the spring show, just stay on 70 east to 43 south and get off at 40 and go west about a mile.  dont try to come on 40 all the way from washington....because you will hit all of the Pike days traffic.  its basically a huge garage sale and festival in most of the small towns and there is alot of slow moving vehicles and parked cars all over the place. Pike days is fun too, but not when you are trying to get some place.  We always go to the show in the morning and hit part of the Pike days on the way home. Or if you are coming from the East, use 70 as much as possible. If you dont know what Pike days is, Im sure theres a website for that..
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for sharing some additional pics Scoped 

The steam powered rock crusher you spoke of probably would have been my favorite. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing some additional pics Scoped 

The steam powered rock crusher you spoke of probably would have been my favorite.  
View Quote
Okay well check out their website for the dates of the spring show jump on the turnpike and get off at New Stanton and then take 70 West  to 43 South and then get off at 40 and go west about a mile, it's on the left.

There's a lot of other stuff too like there's a guy that carves artwork into animal horns there's another guy that does chainsaw carving and another guy that does carving into blocks of wood with hand tools and there is a blacksmith shop there's also a old fashioned  machine shop, where all the machines run off of leather belts... that's called a line shaft. There's a whole section of craft vendors, there's a flea market that sells everything from local honey to hand tools and antiques. There's lots of food and places to sit in the shade, and of course it's free. 

There's a new group there that does a demonstration old fashioned coal mine but it's all above ground... they have all kind of old equipment... that's pretty neat. 

There's usually several pieces of military equipment like deuce and a half's and jeeps and of course there's a little car show too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for sharing pics, it kind of sparked my interest.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing pics, it kind of sparked my interest.
View Quote
yeah.

this is my favorite event of the year an has stuff that is interesting to most people.

they have an old fashioned saw mill and the boards they cut at the show get used to build new buildings and i'm sure if you needed rough sawn lumber, that can be arranged.

e there is old trucks and cars.

tractors

and horses

and live entertainment ranging from folk music, polka to country and rock n roll.

and alot of neat stuff for sale

and fun times with grandpa

and moms and dads.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#17]
More great pics, thanks for sharing!

That Isaly's truck is awesome 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top