Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2010 3:09:51 PM EDT
Considering a move to Erie. Talk me in to/out of it. NFA is ok in PA, right? I have recently gotten addicted to IDPA and 3 gun. Any of that in the area? Would be working in Erie and living somewhere smaller. Twenty min or so comute idealy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
what type of work? got an offer?
gem city gun club has some shooting matches.               http://www.gemcitygunclub.org/
walnut creek also has some things.                                  http://walnutcreekrifleclub.com/
but really i wouldnt move to this armpit unless you were forced to.
just a personal thought.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Lived there for 21 years.  Not the best place in Pa. but certainly not the worst, either.   If was doing it over, I'd work in Erie and live in one of the
smaller communities to the east, west, or likely the best, south.  Erie does NOT have a strong economy now and has not for quite a while, so
plan ahead, and plan deep!
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I live about an hour and a half south of Erie. I grew up in this area and unless you are not being given a choice or are making a very nice wage I wouldn't move to this area.

Nothwest PA has been dying for at least 15 years now. I've been laid off twice now from companies closing. The list of things to do runs out really quick and I'm finally starting to consider relocating. There just isn't much of a future in this area.

Plus if your not use to snow Erie gets the lake effect snow.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in central PA, State College area, so I know a little about the snow. Not full on lake effect snow, but snow. I left pa in 2000 pretty much right out of high school. I work for the .gov so job security is not an issue.

Was just wondering, IIRC NFA is ok, right? Anybody arount there shoot idpa or something similar? I figured Erie would not be where to live, looking for suggestions of towns 20 min or so away.

Sorry for the vague question at the begining.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to think erie was a bad place to live. Then I moved to Cincinnatti for awhile.  I think erie has more then people  think about.   If you go one direction there is the lake. the other there is alot of outdoors/woods. Its in short driving distance to 3 major cities(Buffalo, Pittsburgh & Cleveland).
If you dont have to worry about your job. The only empolyment up here now is low paying service industry jobs.  I would look for a place around Waterford.  Thats were I currently live. Its only a 20/30 min drive to erie. Pennsylvania is nfa friendly. You can own anything you want here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I grew up in central PA, State College area, so I know a little about the snow. Not full on lake effect snow, but snow. I left pa in 2000 pretty much right out of high school. I work for the .gov so job security is not an issue.

Was just wondering, IIRC NFA is ok, right? Anybody arount there shoot idpa or something similar? I figured Erie would not be where to live, looking for suggestions of towns 20 min or so away.

Sorry for the vague question at the begining.

NFA is fine except for explosive DDs (like RPGs, grenades, etc).
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Had a Hooker actually force me to stop my car one nite,

or else run it down in the ghetto.

Shouldnt have any trouble finding

Hookers + Blow

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I hated Erie when I was there, but it could be worse.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Erie is nice.  It's not great, but there are things to do.  Yes, it's declined like all other rust belt cities.  If you work for the gov you will realize you're money goes further here.  I think the average household income is around 32,000.  You can live cheap here.  There is stuff to do if you like the outdoors.  I currently live 10 minutes from Presque Isle, so I take advantage of that.  Just don't live in the city.  You can drive 10 minutes from down town and be in the country, or at least a nice suburb. Think south on 79, or east or west on 90.  Also, don't live east of State St.  That's the bad side with a new resurgence in drug related shootings.

ETA: I havent found any IDPA matches local, but I shoot some highpower matches 20 miles south of the city.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I left Erie 3 years ago.  I lived in a town called North East.  Think Maybery and you are close.  Kind of miss it, but it is going down hill.  I shot 3 gun tactical at Bob's Gun shop/Lethal weapons training academy and High power at Gem City.  It has a really good shooting community.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:20:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info guys!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Erie is nice.  It's not great, but there are things to do.  Yes, it's declined like all other rust belt cities.  If you work for the gov you will realize you're money goes further here.  I think the average household income is around 32,000.  You can live cheap here.  There is stuff to do if you like the outdoors.  I currently live 10 minutes from Presque Isle, so I take advantage of that.  Just don't live in the city.  You can drive 10 minutes from down town and be in the country, or at least a nice suburb. Think south on 79, or east or west on 90.  Also, don't live east of State St.  That's the bad side with a new resurgence in drug related shootings.

ETA: I havent found any IDPA matches local, but I shoot some highpower matches 20 miles south of the city.

You may be able to live cheap, but are you willing to work cheap?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  That's something that the OP will have to decide.  I was just stating that the cost of living is low here.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  That's something that the OP will have to decide.  I was just stating that the cost of living is low here.

Won't be working cheap. I work for the .gov

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top