Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2006 8:20:12 AM EDT
Basic Tactical Carbine is scheduled for August 11-12-13, but we still do not know exactly where.  Since the course is only ten days away, we recommend anyone who intends to schedule a motel just go ahead and schedule at the same hotels we used when the courses were at the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club (Tonidale; Red Roof Inn; Airport Marriott).  The most probable location currently under consideration is in the same area as the Greater Pitt club.

If we ultimately finalize arrangements at another club, we will let you know, and you can reschedule.  Most places have a 24 hour cancellation policy, and we will certainly know before that.

Sorry for the uncertainty and inconvenience, folks, but we had no control over the closing of the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club range.  There are only a limited number of ranges that permit firearms training at thier faciltiy. (Most ranges around here have rules that prohibit loading more than one round at a time in a rifle, carrying a gun in a holster, and what they call "rapid fire.")  We are still waiting for the dates for directors' meetings at the other clubs to roll around before we can get final approval to run our courses at alternative locations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update.  See you next week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]

One of the guys enrolled in this course today got called to an interview to be held this Saturday.  (Ironically, he is being interviewed for the tactical unit to which he applied a year ago, and for which he wanted this course.)  He has therefore been force to withdraw fom the course, and would like to sell his slot.  Any "lurkers" who are interested should contact me, and I will put you in touch.  

This is going to be a small class.  Bring an extra 250 rounds.  Also bring tick repellent.  Even though this is a very well-manicured range, they have been having a problem with ticks this year for some reason.  

PeteG
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the great news.  See you Friday.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone posted an AAR for this class? I'd like to hear how it went........
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Has anyone posted an AAR for this class? I'd like to hear how it went........

It was great!  Real world instruction from Pete, Phil, and Tony.  Nice SMALL class, and a really nice facility at the McDonald Sportsmans Club.  I learned a lot (I know my rifle is too heavy Pete), and came away with a better understanding of the rifle and my capabilities with it.  I made a few shots at 200 meters.  I've never shot that far before, but now I'm confident I could take the shot if needed.    I came home sore, tired and very satisfied.

Take the class next year.  It is money very well spent.  Tell your friends too.  Get them to pony up that hard earned cash to learn something instead of talking about it.  I drove 4.5 hours each way and will glady do it again.

Oh yeah, and if you go, make sure your rifle is as light as possible.  The less, the better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I was hoping to get a review done last week but I was very busy. Tony beat me to it and did a fine job so I’ll just add a few comments. First, the class was excellent as expected. If you have read other comments and reviews about the training at F.I.R.E. you already know the reputation they have. The weather was perfect. I was in the Basic Pistol this past June and it rained a lot. While it didn’t take away from the class for me it was nice not to have to deal with the bad weather this time. Bagging and un-bagging targets gets old.  The class was small which was good for the students. I think we got more shooting in. I don’t need to go into all of the details of the course as it has been outlined  but let me just say that this was the first time that I have had an opportunity to get the basics down. I have been shooting my entire life but fighting with the rifle is a whole different ball game. I have a lot of trigger time behind a pistol and was more comfortable in that class. I’m happy that I got the carbine in this year because I now have a good structure for practice. I need more time behind the rifle and I am confident that I can become very competent thanks to the training that F.I.R.E. provides. I don’t feel that this is something you can learn on your own and having proper instruction is critical. In addition to the instruction, training gives you the opportunity to sort out your gear. You find out quickly what works and what doesn’t. What is necessary and what isn’t. You can spend a great deal of time reading about it and have informed decisions on your set up but you need to really use it to find out. Overall I was happy with my gun. The gun and mags ran 100%. I somehow even managed to avoid Pete’s attempts at inducing malfunctions. I found  three of them yesterday while unloading my magazines. Thanks for the help Pete but next time I will just load my own mags.her
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top