Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:24:30 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I am in the market for an AR, most likely and RRA or a Bushmaster.  I have found a few places that carry colts, however I feel they are over what i want to spend.  Factory samples for 1400 to 1600.  I am looking to spend between 700 and 1000 dollars.  Any suggestions on places in the philly area.  

Obviously i just missed my opportunity with the KOP gun show.

Thanks
Brian
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Seneca Arms in Green Lane. There is an address listed in the stickey at the top of the PA hometown page.

John is a member here and a real good guy to deal with. He's at least partly responsible for my EBR addiction.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd wait til the next KOP show, saw some 20" A2's from Bushmaster there for around $750.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Seneca Arms.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I can vouch for Surplus City. Tanners is supposed to be good too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Surplus City more in the Philly area for you.

Seneca Arms

Tanners  

All are good shops .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
if you need or want one built
Donley's Gun  Shop
48 North Belmont Ave.
Quakertown PA 18951
215-529-6578
have plenty of references
here are some for board members

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Brian; if you want a Colt - Surplus City is the place to check out. It's on Bustleton Ave. about a half mile above County Line rd. If you desire a Bushmaster, see Dan at Tanners on Rt. 263 just north of Almshouse rd. All the folks at Tanners are good people, I recommend Dan because of his extensive knowledge and he'll give you as much time as you need to make a good decision. If you would like a RRA - Clayton's Guns on Rt.611 just south of the WillowGrove Navel Air Base is the only place around that I know of for a RRA Ar15. See John if you go there. Before you go, ckeck out the various models of RRA rifles you think you'd be interested in and write down the prices, check the Equipment Exchange adds here on AR15.com. Knowing what a good price is will help you get a better deal with him and don't use a credit card - the best price will be with a cash deal. I like the RRA rifles best, but it's a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Dave Donely of Donely's guns built this one for me.  I would recommend him highly....

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
some very nice looking ar's and some very helpful information.  Thanks everyone.  I had my mind made up on RRA, but i saw a few bushys at KOP that looked and felt nice.  So many choices.  

Brian
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
When it comes to AR15's I go to John at Seneca Arms.    He has more first hand experience with those rifles than anyone else I have ever met.  He is the current Pa state service rifle champion, and is nationally ranked in service rifle highpower.  I think he came in 4 th place overall at Camp Perry during the service rifle championships out of like 1300+ top shooters.  So needless to say he knows a thing or two about them.  

I know he stocks the Bushmasters and his 20" A2 rifles were around $760 last time I was there.  He had a few M4-A3 Bushy's for $860 new I think too.  He had a few green lable Colts there for cheap a couple weeks ago.  I know he can order all of them including RRA as he got one for me just before Christmas last year.

Seneca Arms may be too far to drive from Philly, but he does have good deals.   The only other place i would think of going near Philly would be Tanners.  his prices are reasonable, but no one there has the experience John has.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
any of you guys have the address for Tanners or want to give me directions from Philly

thanks, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Gotta love Google!  Tanners Site complete with a directions link

thanks, I'm not usally the type of person to let others do my leg work for me I just didn't think they had a website
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a problem.... what are internet gun buddies for anyway
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Brian,

After you price out a new rifle, I would seriously give Dave a ring and see what the same dollars might get you over at his shop.  I'm not knocking RRA or Bushmaster, but you are paying a premium for the name and those dollars could go into a Free Float Tube or other cool necessary options.  Just a thought....

Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
There's a gunshow at the Harrisburg Farm Complex this weekend.

I gotta get to Dave's to have my post-ban Bushie (two of them) converted to no-ban status.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Justin,

Indeed you do!  Why have you waited so long!

Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Ill give Dave at Donelys a call hopefully tomorrow.  Now I just have to wait for the arrival of my tax return.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Justin,

Indeed you do!  Why have you waited so long!

Gary

I've been busy at work.  I had to work on Super Bowl Sunday!    But the project should be over soon so I am trying to get back into shooting and guns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hi Brian; if you want a Colt - Surplus City is the place to check out. It's on Bustleton Ave. about a half mile above County Line rd. If you desire a Bushmaster, see Dan at Tanners on Rt. 263 just north of Almshouse rd. All the folks at Tanners are good people, I recommend Dan because of his extensive knowledge and he'll give you as much time as you need to make a good decision. If you would like a RRA - Clayton's Guns on Rt.611 just south of the WillowGrove Navel Air Base is the only place around that I know of for a RRA Ar15. See John if you go there. Before you go, ckeck out the various models of RRA rifles you think you'd be interested in and write down the prices, check the Equipment Exchange adds here on AR15.com. Knowing what a good price is will help you get a better deal with him and don't use a credit card - the best price will be with a cash deal. I like the RRA rifles best, but it's a matter of personal preference.

You dont have the number for claytons guns do you?  Having a hard time finding it
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Google is your friend....

Clayton's Hunting & Fishing 215-672-6060 660 Easton Road Horsham, PA 19044
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, I have my tax return check, so its just a matter of making a decision.  Tanners quoted me at 949 for a bushy m4a3, Claytons quoted me at 975 for a UTE2 from RRA.  Both seem a little high in price being that ive seen them in the 800's around here.  What do you guys think?  Is there any negotiating price with these things?  

I spoke with Dave at Donelys earlier in the week, who quoted me in the mid 800s for a build.  Im going to give him a call today to see if he recieved any 16 inch barrels.

Thanks everyone for their help.  I dont even own an AR and i got the BRD.

Brian

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#24]
The advantage with a build as I see it is that you can get the exact features you want and not what is being mass marketed by the big manufacturers.  Also, you can insure that you have all mil-spec parts.  I think the "perfect" AR for most all uses is the following:

16" mid-length with flat top upper and either Daniel Defence or Larue 9.0 rail.

You can then accesorize this rifle to your heart's content.  It will be accurate enough to the distances you will shoot it around these parts.  If I was building my first AR...this is what I would do.  BTW  welcome to the AR family.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 on Seneca Arms or Surplus City.  I have spent waaaay too much money at SC over the last several years.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#26]
X-Ring Supply in Newark, DE has a good selection of EBR's not sure on there pricing but Delaware is tax free.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dave Donely of Donely's guns built this one for me.  I would recommend him highly....

Regards,
Gary

Gary........Nice looking rifle. You did get the ACOG afterall.

How are you liking it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#28]
DWFAN,

I love the AGOG!  It rocks!

Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top