Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:31:49 AM EDT
OK since I have never looked into this and it just popped into my head for some unknown reason, I thought I would ask.

I have a CCW licence too.

Anyway, I don't carry any firearms in my car and leave them in there.  I remember years ago seeing pickup trucks with the shotguns or rifles mounted on the back window but in todays society I don't think anyone does that because they would get stolen.
So back to my question.  Is it legal to carry a rifle/shotgun/AR15 in the trunk of your car, perminately?  CCW doesn't apply to rifles if I am correct so the weapon must be unloaded and ammo stored seperately.  I wonder if it would be legal to carry an unloaded rifle in the trunk and a full mag somewhere in the glove compartment say for an AR?

Anyone know???
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Since I don't HAVE a Horse and Buggy , I always carry my unloaded rifle - ammo/mags
stored separate, in my truck when i go hunting or to the range.

My Carry License has nothing to do with that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I know that you need to carry the stuff when you go to the range or hunting and it needs to be seperate.  But what if you carry it around all the time?  

I wonder if you would get pulled over and you have a gun in the trunk and a loaded mag in the glove compartment and you were not going hunting or to a range (no targes or other range gear) if that is some kind of violation???

I know this a stupid topic, just humor me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought that a cwp would allow you to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle so long as it was not visiable.

I never do this but I thought this was the case,  except if you were hunting or using a light to view game animals after dark.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Last I checked my CCW says "various".  

I had a car stolen by some nuckleheads that made it 1 mile before it ran out of gas.  There was a shotgun w/ side saddle attached and loaded.  The boro cop gave me a hard time, but the township guys said "You've got a CCW and the shotgun was of legal length, don't worry about it."

My understanding is that the Game Officials are the ones that will get bent if you're carrying long guns.  I'd like to see something defenative.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
from a page on the nra web site
PENNSYLVANIA--A permit is required to carry a handgun in a vehicle. Rifles and shotguns may be carried in a vehicle so long as they are unloaded. Permits are available to nonresidents and may be obtained from any county sheriff or chief of police in the major cities. An unloaded, securely wrapped handgun may be carried without a license when changing residences, when going to or from target practice, or to or from one`s home to a vacation or recreational home.

I was doing google searchs to try to address this issue.   I will keep looking.he

Pennsylvania - State law does not clearly prohibit people from carrying hidden handguns into schools if they have an easily-obtained CCW permit. The law provides a defense for CCW permit holders to carry a gun into school "for lawful purpose."

here is a link      http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6107.html
http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6107.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Jackal , I was trying some subtle humor , apparently TOO Subtle

I know of no PA State Law preventing carrying an unloaded Longgun / ammo separate in a vehicle.

I do it all the time.  (keep mine in a soft case)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a CCW, you can carry an unloaded rifle and/or shotgun in your vehicle any time you wish.

If you DO NOT have a CCW, then you you can only carry an unloaded rifle and/or shotgun when going to or from the range, gunsmith, etc. You can not keep one in your vehicle.....just in case. You would be in violation of PACC 6106.

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jackal , I was trying some subtle humor , apparently TOO Subtle

I know of no PA State Law preventing carrying an unloaded Longgun / ammo separate in a vehicle.

I do it all the time.  (keep mine in a soft case)

OK so you keep the rifle in a soft case, where do you keep the ammo?

I was wandering if one of those soft cases with the outer pouch that holds mags is considered seperate, like those nice tactical bags?

Some good info here, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I think to avoid any confusion, it would just be easier to carry a loaded AR15 pistol.
Keep it loaded, and carry a half dozen 30rd mags too if you like...

It's both an AR15... AND a pistol...  

That way, there's no question as to whether it's legal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Who makes a good quality holster for an AR15 pistol?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who makes a good quality holster for an AR15 pistol?

Were you planning to holster the rifle ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
There is also the "Sportsman’s License".

Anybody remember how it goes?  Or is it obsolete?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The Sportsmans Permit must be carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtrapping or fishing license. You can not carry a loaded handgun (or any gun) in your vehicle and you can only carry while doing the above activities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top