Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
I'm moving from SC, where you can carry a loaded gun in your unlocked glove box.  I know PA is a BIT more strict.  

Do I need to register my guns with local LEO or anything? or just bring em up when I move?

Specifically, I'm moving to Ambler in Montgomery Co, just north of Philly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
No need to register your guns with anybody.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm moving from SC, where you can carry a loaded gun in your unlocked glove box.  I know PA is a BIT more strict.  

Get your license to carry and you can carry your loaded gun just about anywhere.  Welcome to PA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to Montco.  You will need to get down to Norristown to apply for your CCW.  I think there is a residency period prior to application.  Are you in the Boro proper or just the Ambler mailing address?  When you get here, you will need to come shooting with us up at Water and Wings.  This is the local black rifle friendly range we all frequent.  Feel free to PM me with any area questions you may have.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
to get your carry permit, we have to shoot all your guns with corrossive ammo and you have to clean them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know if there is a residency peroid before you can apply?
I will find out Friday evening if not sooner.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IIRC Drivers license from PA.  You can get that in 30 days.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome and Greetings from Lansdale, 5 mins from your new home.

You will love it here. PA is more Texas than Texas!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You will love PA for the gun laws and hate it for the weather and taxes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No, there is no waiting period.

I moved to Philly a little over a year ago.  I moved here at the end of the month and went and got my PA drivers license the following week(it only took 20 minutes).  The next day with my new PA DL I went and applied for my CCW.  It was about a total of 8 days from the time I moved here from the time I applied for my CCW.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You will love PA for the gun laws and hate it for the weather and taxes.

You will also hate Fast Eddie, the Guv, and who here doesn't, along with his ASSistant Guv.

If it wasn't for Philadelphia we would have a Republican Guv in Harrisburg.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You've been smoking that Philly crack again haven't you?

There's no place like Texas............I oughtta know, I'm a native Texan that somehow wound up here in Yankeeland.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  Are there any IDPAers among you?  I found a club, Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club in Audubon, PA thats close.   I'm going to check it out (match Aug 27th).  Anyone else going?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  Are there any IDPAers among you?  I found a club, Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club in Audubon, PA thats close.   I'm going to check it out (match Aug 27th).  Anyone else going?

That's where I shoot IDPA for the past year and a half.  I haven't been there in a couple of months but I do plan on going on the 27th.  Everyone there is very friendly and helpful.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've been smoking that Philly crack again haven't you?

There's no place like Texas............I oughtta know, I'm a native Texan that somehow wound up here in Yankeeland.

You did what you had to do to get away from them $@$$%@@% chiggers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've been smoking that Philly crack again haven't you? here

My friend in TX needed to take a safety course before getting his carry permit. Sorry, PA is better! Maybe other ways TX has us beat but not in gun laws and rights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll take needing a Safety Course for a CCW permit over Ed Rendell and Street Doggy Dogg any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'll take needing a Safety Course for a CCW permit over Ed Rendell and Street Doggy Dogg any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

+100000000
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Its about freedom folks and we (or at least I) was talking only about the gun laws and we beat the Cowboys!

And I know we don’t want to talk about the Texas Legislators. And I know we don’t want to compare Kay with Rick....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Hello and welcome to PA!

Since you're in Ambler you need to stop by my brothers restaurant, "The Ambler Grill" and make yourself known. Good food, good service, good prices and the BS is free.

Heatnbeat
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I had exactly one piece of paper to fill out for MY CCW.  About 10 minutes worth of scribbling total.  Maybe less.

I actually spent more time finding a parking spot downtown than I did filling out the paperwork.

I forked over the money, had my picture taken, and away I went.

And last year when it came time to renew, I again spent more time finding a parking space than I did filling out that single sheet of paper.

No “Safety Course” or anything like that at all.

You are going to enjoy the extra freedom up here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't believe any of this.

All firearms entering PA MUST be turned into Piccolo Enterprises for determination of the eligibility of the owner to posess them.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Montgomery County will require a sign off by the Chief of Police in your town or borough.  This is usually just a formality and is not like the infamous Class III sign-offs.  Also, as a new resident, it gives you an opportunity to meet your local LE.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I'm in Horsham township, the police station is about 1/4 mile away.  

I'll be at the Lower providence IDPA match, I'm 28, 5'10, 240 and drive a silver golf (or red Rodeo)  If you see me make yourself known, I'm eager to meet some shooting buddies in the area.

I shot this weekend at 2 indoor ranges, Target world and Classic Pistol.  I got yelled at for shooting too fast at one.  I'm joining the other  

I'll check out the "Ambler Grill" as well
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Which one? I'm a member at CP since its near my work and they allow indoor shooting of my HK-91 and AR-15.  Its been a while since I was at TW but do not think they allow high power rifles (may be wrong about this). Have been a member of CP for only one month so I'm not up all of the politics. Most seem ok there, noticed a few jerks but that’s to be expected every place. Of course both have their share of Rambo wannabes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Classic Pistol has a sand backstop and they allow up to 30.06.  Target world has a steel backstop, and I think they only allow pistols (technically, I think their sign said up to 2000fps).  

I'm joining Classic Pistol.  Not that I have anything against TW, they have a good shop and 90% of the people there are nice and know their stuff.  The other 10% were working when I was there to shoot.  (I've actually lived up here off and on for the last year, I've been there dozens of times for gear and reloading supplies, I didn't form this opinion from the single visit).  Classic pistol just has more of the atmosphere I'm looking for.

As far as rifles, I only have a SKS, which I'd rather shoot outside anyway.  I sold my AR 2 years ago.  I shoot pistols most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Agreed that outdoor is preferred place to shoot (both rifles and pistols) but in the middle of Feb its nice to have the option of sending .308 rounds down range inside while toasty warm.

Speaking of CP, looks like we will be killing some paper there this Friday after work so if you are around, stop in and say Hi. My name is Dave but you can find me next to a pretty brunette who happens to have bigger guns than me and is a much better shot! I guess this is better than one screaming about having guns in the house and it sure makes for interesting XMAX gifts :)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I might stop by Friday with my pretty brunette too.  She is a novice, but learning fast

Cant wait for IDPA on saturday!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Agreed that outdoor is preferred place to shoot (both rifles and pistols) but in the middle of Feb its nice to have the option of sending .308 rounds down range inside while toasty warm.

Speaking of CP, looks like we will be killing some paper there this Friday after work so if you are around, stop in and say Hi. My name is Dave but you can find me next to a pretty brunette who happens to have bigger guns than me and is a much better shot! I guess this is better than one screaming about having guns in the house and it sure makes for interesting XMAX gifts :)

What time are you guys planning on getting there at CP on Friday?  I have been itchin to dump some FMJ's down the lane...  I think my membership is still good there. (yep, it's still good!)

LMK

-Sly
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I would say about 5 pm for me. its under a mile from my work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#31]
cool, it's right around the corner from my home...

BTW - WELCOME "win1200riot" TO PA!!!  

one thing not mentioned... if you own ClassIII's you will need to notify the ATF that they are moving... if they are not, you can bring them all on over!  

-Sly

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Great. Would like to meet some guys from here. I could not make it out to the W & W shoots becuase summer weekends usually mean the shore.

Besides I want to see if some of my new toys work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the welcome slyguy2000!  No Class III here unfortunately, I don't have the deep pockets.  Can't afford to buy them or feed them for that matter.  

I used to rent smgs down near Atlanta, where they only charged a $10 rental fee.  That was the fastest way I have ever blown through $150 (Thompson M1 @$14 a box of .45s, Muhh-hahahaha).  Great fun though!

Unfortunately, I am apparently now triple booked Friday evening, and I'm shooting Saturday morning, so I might have to meet you guys next Friday or something.  Unless you have interest in IDPA on Saturday.  www.lowerprovidencerodandgunclub.com/pistol/idpa/
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome slyguy2000!  No Class III here unfortunately, I don't have the deep pockets.  Can't afford to buy them or feed them for that matter.  

I used to rent smgs down near Atlanta, where they only charged a $10 rental fee.  That was the fastest way I have ever blown through $150 (Thompson M1 @$14 a box of .45s, Muhh-hahahaha).  Great fun though!

Unfortunately, I am apparently now triple booked Friday evening, and I'm shooting Saturday morning, so I might have to meet you guys next Friday or something.  Unless you have interest in IDPA on Saturday.  www.lowerprovidencerodandgunclub.com/pistol/idpa/

When you make it out here in PA, Classic Pistol (CP) in Southampton (where some of us are going tonight) you can rent SMG's there too... they rent MP5's and a few others.  It's a nice place.

Post in the Hometown forum when you are ready to meetup with some of us, we'd be more than happy to welcome you to the neighborhood.  I have a membership at CP and can get you in to see and shoot there if you like, as my guest.  I'm down for whenever so just let me know.

-------------------
To everyone who is going to CP tonight, I can't make it until after 6pm.  I hope some of you will be able to stick around.  I have some new toys I want to exercise.    Namely the 12GA, and the BW89-SP

Thanks

-Sly
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#35]
We will be there around 5 and should still be there at 6. Is that a little HK 9 mm?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We will be there around 5 and should still be there at 6. Is that a little HK 9 mm?

Why yes it is.., Good eye, it's a HK USP 9mm Compact.  That is my carry piece.

-Sly

See you there round 6 is then.  I'll be luggin in all my toys, I'm in a yellow Polo golf shirt today, you shouldn't be able to miss me.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Kool. What is that on top of it, HK MP5 Clone? I've been looking at the Bobcat for a while now.

My name is Dave and will be wearing a white shirt. Bringing a few toys myself. PTR-91K (HK91 Clone) for her 1st. shots, Colt AR-15 A3, Beretta 92FS Compact 9 mm, Beretta 85F .380 and my trusty 357 mag. Ruger. My girl I think is bringing her 8 mm Mauser and her 44 mag. Can you guess who wears the pants? If would not be so bad but she even shoots better than me!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#38]
wow, nice toys slyguy!  Any of you guys have any class III toys? all I have is a few .38/.357 revolvers, a 1911, 12ga pump, and some .22s.  I had to sell all my cool guns the last time I was out of work
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I made the mistake of selling most of my really fun toys during the ban for plenty of $$$ so now am on a mission to restock. Future Ban or not, I keeping them forever. The car I bought when I sold my HK93 is long gone but the hole it left in my heart remains to this day
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I have just gotten rid of any guns that had plastic in them, my glock, walther p22, AR.  The ones I kept are all steel and wood.  I do miss the plastic ones though
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I joined Classic Pistol yesterday, and I'm going tonight again!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Great, welcome aboard!

Let us know when you are going next. Word of warning, if you meet up with slyguy2000 and he offers to let you try his shotgun.....Run! It has been 4 days and my shoulder still hurts!!!!

Seriously, we had a good time last Friday night. We arrived around 4:30 and were almost out of ammo by 6 when he showed up. The plus side was my girlfriend got to fire a fully auto Uzi
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, I saw the picture of that shotgun!  I had my 18" winchester 1200  out there Sunday to show my girlfriend what it is all about.  She had never shot one and was wondering why I keep it loaded instead of one of the handguns.  I always tell her shotguns "do bad, bad things to people", so I had to do a OO buck demonstration.  Now she understands.

I think I am going to be going several times a week, probably mostly with my .22 pistol.  I reload, but going several times a week is still expensive.

When are you guys going to go again?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#44]
My time in Sept. is very limited. I do a lot of international travel for work and next month is not going to be pretty. However I will try to post if I will be at CP sometime soon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yeah, I saw the picture of that shotgun!  I had my 18" winchester 1200  out there Sunday to show my girlfriend what it is all about.  She had never shot one and was wondering why I keep it loaded instead of one of the handguns.  I always tell her shotguns "do bad, bad things to people", so I had to do a OO buck demonstration.  Now she understands.

I think I am going to be going several times a week, probably mostly with my .22 pistol.  I reload, but going several times a week is still expensive.

When are you guys going to go again?

yeah they do, do bad, bad things... from the other day at CP, my 12GA left me a nice bruise on my shoulder... from some Fereral 00' Buck...  

Let me know when you are going again... I just need to stop at WallyWorld for some mo' ammo...
I am down to my last box or 9mm and have about 2 mags of Lake City ammo for the AR...

I'll PM you my cell, call me if you want some company.  I hate shooting alone.

-Sly
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe Thursday or Friday night?  I need to load some more ammo.  I shot last night, .22LR only.  Pretty boring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top