Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2004 10:07:48 AM EDT
I'm planning on applying for my CCW next week (Dauphin County) and I was wondering what I should put on my application for a reason that I want to obtain one.  I've heard some people say that there is one reason to check that will make the application get approved quicker.  I think it was "Personal Protection" if I remember correctly.  Anyone know how long to expect until I get approved?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a must issue state and thus your reason doesn't really matter.  IIRC I put personal protection on mine for Cumberland but it is going to take 2-3 weeks until the background check and associated paper work is completed and your ID card is ready for pick-up (no matter what your reason).
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
   Self defense is the only acceptable answer. Any other and you will be denied
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn...2 to 3 weeks until the paperwork comes back!  I was hoping like maybe a week.  

I'll be carousing the gun show at the Farm Show building later this month for my CCW gun...aaaahhhhh, like a kid in a candy store!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Took me 2 months to get mine here in Pittsburgh.  I put "Personal protection and all other uses authorized by law".
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My first permit in Delaware County was about 2 weeks. My renewal was 68 days. Seems the application got lost on someone's desk. They were apologetic when I inquired as to where my permit was on day 60, but still took 8 more days to complete the processing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine in Bucks....I wrote down "target shooting"...when the paperwork came back, it said "Self Defense".....but as an earlier post said....it doesnt matter what you say....in our state, they would have to prove that you are a criminal in order to deny you...PA is shall issue....unless you have a record, you are getting approved!
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine in Butler county (western part of state). I applied on a tuesday afternoon and got my permit in the mail 3 days later. They can make it go as fast or as slow as they want.
Burl1
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
As luck would have it, I can't find my #*@#! social security card!  I was told that I need this to apply so now I have to run to the SSA's local office and fill out the paper work to get a replacement.  That means its gonna be another 10-14 days before I can apply for my CCW permit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As luck would have it, I can't find my #*@#! social security card!  I was told that I need this to apply so now I have to run to the SSA's local office and fill out the paper work to get a replacement.  That means its gonna be another 10-14 days before I can apply for my CCW permit.

Since when?

I sure didn't need mine in Luzerne Co.

Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Beaver Co has an almost instant issue. Don't know what they do about references but I know a few guys who walked in, filled out the app and walked out with the permit. I've had mine for years so it was a little different back then.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when?

I sure didn't need mine in Luzerne Co.

That's just what the Sheriff's office said when I called.  Maybe all this terrorism crap has lead to Big Brother wanting to make sure we are U.S. citizens.

Now I'm just patiently (well not really patiently) waiting for my SS card to come in the mail so I can go apply.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#12]
AR_Shorty:

SS card should not be necessary.  My local Sherrif Deputy (Allegheny County) stated that only ID that showed you current address was accepted.  Seemed they wanted PA state issued ID's (drivers license) and something like a vehicle registration.  SS card has no address on it; nor does a passport.  Neither were accepted when I renewed my CCW permit about a month ago.  

When I renewed my pemit I checked all boxes for "reasons" (hunting, self defense, job, etc.).  They put protection on my permit.  There isn't room for anything else in the box.  My old  paper permit said hunting and protection.  

Just make sure that you have your Drivers license, vehicle registration or some other form of ID that has your name and address on it, two references with full address (one guy left off the zip for one of his references and the deputy made him get it) and the 19.00 cash.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]
wgjhsafT,

I'm just relaying what I was told by the Sheriff himself when I called them last week.  He said I needed to bring a drivers license and a social security card - thats it.  I could try to show up and apply without it, but I'd rather have everything available when I go.

I'll put down personal protection as my reason for applying and I should be good to go.

I've got the names, addresses, and phone numbers of two references.

Man, I feel like when I was a kid and counting down the days until Christmas!
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, do what you got to do.  Hopefully you'll get your permit quick!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:59:44 AM EDT
[#15]
S.S. card came in the mail yesterday, so I'm making a trip to the Sheriff's office today.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#16]
AR Shorty,
I've had CCW permits in both Dauphin and Cumberland counties for over 20 years.
Please use "self defense" as the reason for application. That's what they want you to use.

Even if it's not a requirement in PA. to see your SS card, I would definately do what the Sheriff requests.

You will have the approved permit back before you know it.

Mike H.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I filled out the application last evening and I put down self-defense as the reason.  They charge $19 for the permit without a photo and $5 extra to add a photo.  I opted for the license with a photo.  I was told I could come back and pick up the permit in one week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Renewing here in Perry Co. consists of the instant check, and out ya go.  Ops
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
WoooooHooooo...I just picked up my CCW license a few minutes ago!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:41:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Excellent!  Now get that XD you've been talking about!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Excellent!  Now get that XD you've been talking about!

That's definitely high priority now
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on getting your CCW, Sledge!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have any idea on the wait time in Northampton County? I put mine in last week and they said 3-4 weeks which seems kind of extreme for what i have heards around here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#24]
The state maximum is 45 days. If they go beyond that they had better have
a good reason for the delay. The average is 21 days from what I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I got my non-resident CCW from Centre County in 10days! That was from the time I mailed the app., to the time I had it in my hand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I got my CCW in York last july. it took 13 days. Yes PA is a must issue, if you an buy a hand gun you can get a CCW. I've been carryin my XD40 since and love it. Get yourself a Pagerpal holster there great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top