Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2021 4:09:53 PM EDT
Anyone have suggestions on a good ranch to buy a whole or half cow from? I’m over in the east Valley.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with Killian Beef.  He is on Southern east of Greenfield.  I THINK he will do a whole or 1/2 cow, but you will probably have to contact him to see as it's not listed on their website.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
All the AZ beef I have purchased has tasted like SHIT.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
WOW. You know what shit tastes like?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve actually heard that from several people! Makes me a bit nervous to buy that much meat locally.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never visited or bought from:

http://www.themeatshopaz.com/home.html

but I stumbled upon their website

it contains this advice:

"If you have never purchased a Quarter/Half/Whole Beef or Hog from us before, please call us at 602-258-5075 so we can talk you through the process and make sure we are the right fit for you!"

so that might be a place to start

you can go in there and buy 2 steaks to try their meat first and decide if local grown tastes good

report back to us!

Poole

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't want cow meat , you want beef steer meat. Cow meat has a very different taste and it's not near as good as beef steer meat. Carniceria's sell cow meat and it is also cheaper and low grade .
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It took me a while to find local beef that I like.

I found it by going to the local farmer's markets (Sierra Vista and Bisbee for me).

I finally settled on Sky Island Brand/47 Ranch.  His cattle open range in the Mule mountains and have a unique diet which help to make the beef taste good, it is healthier, and it is tender.

COVID restrictions have made it difficult for Sky Island to butcher as much beef as they want so it may be hard to get it in bulk right now.

You may want to try some different places by buying you favorite cuts at local farmer markets.  Then once you find a place you like buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Might check with Von Hansons. I love that place and its out East by you. And it even has Lefsa.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
We used to go to the Maricopa County  4H Fair and bid on the steers the kids raised. That was some prime beef.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend who runs the 4H and School agriculture programs in Rio Rico.  My neighbor just bought a full cow.   They also do other animals as well.  If you are interested, I can reach out, see if they have any  1/2 or whole available.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
They're on the other side of the valley from you (Buckeye), but I really liked the service I got from Adams Natural Meats.  Some friends and I bought a whole beef from them in October and split it 4 ways.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies. Still looking but I’ll post an update on how it turns out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Check with Killian Beef.  He is on Southern east of Greenfield.  I THINK he will do a whole or 1/2 cow, but you will probably have to contact him to see as it's not listed on their website.
View Quote

Killian beef is great stuff!

Love his steaks
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
We buy a half steer up here in the Show Low area, about once a year. We get it from X Diamond Ranch. Their meet is amazing. Always nicely marbled, with great flavor. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, it may be worth while to check them out. They will send your 1/2 to Malapai Processing, and they will ask you what cuts you want, how thick, trimmed fat, etc..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top