Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 10:48:59 PM EDT
I am going on vacation next week.  I will be traveling through various National Parks in Utah, AZ, and NM.  My understanding is a may cross reservation land on this trip.  While my GA carry license will be reciprocated in AZ and Utah, I am not sure how reservations generally treat firearms.  I am more concerned about being pulled over on the highway.  I do not foresee walking around town in a reservation.  Anyone have any experience with Res Police in this matter?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am going on vacation next week.  I will be traveling through various National Parks in Utah, AZ, and NM.  My understanding is a may cross reservation land on this trip.  While my GA carry license will be reciprocated in AZ and Utah, I am not sure how reservations generally treat firearms.  I am more concerned about being pulled over on the highway.  I do not foresee walking around town in a reservation.  Anyone have any experience with Res Police in this matter?

Thanks in advance
View Quote
IM aztrooper, he can help. But as far as I know if I'm on a state highway going through, no problem. But the moment I hit a gas station or whatever, no go.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IM aztrooper, he can help. But as far as I know if I'm on a state highway going through, no problem. But the moment I hit a gas station or whatever, no go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance

That is the way I understood it as well.  I have driven through quite a few of them while carrying, I just make sure I stop for gas before I hit the Rez and I don't stop until I'm through.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance

Pretty much it.  And you'd miss out on some of the very cool stuff like Canyon de Chelly, the Hubble Trading Post or the Hopi Cultural Center.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the Navajo Nation respects AZ CCW on the reservation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty much it.  And you'd miss out on some of the very cool stuff like Canyon de Chelly, the Hubble Trading Post or the Hopi Cultural Center.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance

So no carry in these areas, but no issue with it unloaded in the case tucked away in car storage?   As in Res police just do not randomly try to mess with tourists via searches etc...  I am rather distrustful of any small town or underfunded area where the local govt needs extra cash.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
... we recently did Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley

Both are bounded by the Navajo Nation (Indian Reservation).

A sign at the visitor center says, and I paraphrase, "Contrary to myth, weapon laws on the Reservation are the same as the State of Arizona". I confirmed this with a local, commissioned Ranger. We elected to not CCW when hiking away from the vehicle or going into establishments, but peaceful passage throughout is completely legal. It goes without saying, be respectful of the people and land - don't give them reason to approach you.  Oh, and don't take pictures of the indigenous people without their permission

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Navajo is one of the few (if not the only) one that recognizes state gun laws.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Also, no permit needed in AZ.  So if a wife or g/f without a permit is traveling they can pack as well.  Reservations excluded of course.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Many conversations with the Hualapai Tribal PD 2ndIC.
Don't do anything stupid with your gun, open carry or concealed, and they could care less.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top