Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 5:51:58 PM EDT
.. . This year was the first for my required Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) emission test; a requirement for annual registration. So before I drove the 2004 Dodge Cummins down to the test facility, I call ADEQ for protocol.

I asked if I could go through the “OBDII Only” lane, they said yes. Well bullshit-me if I didn’t wait in line 20 minutes only for them to say I needed the running test.

Here’s the kicker, ADEQ required me to leave my truck in park, andrev the engine to REDLINE (unloaded) and let off the throttle – three friggin times!

Winging a motor at governed redline goes against the grain of everything I thought I understood about motors.

Do I have reason to be pissed, or is this standard procedure now?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty much standard procedure now. I had to do that in my work truck when it needed it. Same thing, rev it up while they check the exhaust 3 times. Of course mine was a Cat and not a Cummins. I never thought much of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Standard on all the diesels I have had.  I didn't have to red line them though,  probably only about 2200 RPM or so.

ETA.  All three of my diesels have been Duramaxs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends on weight, not year.

My 86 6.2l gets tested on the rollers at 55mph.  GVW is ~6200lbs.

Diesel emissions testing in Pima County and for light-duty (8,500
lbs GVW and less) vehicles in Maricopa County consists of loading the
vehicle on a dynamometer and measuring the opacity of the exhaust
plume. The measured opacity must not exceed the established maximum. In
Pima County the maximum allowable is 30 percent opacity. In Maricopa
County the maximum allowable is 20 percent opacity. (The maximum
allowable is determined by the average elevation of the registration
area).

Heavy-duty (8,501 lbs and greater) diesel vehicles in Maricopa
County are tested using the Society of Automotive Engineers J1667 test
protocol, commonly referred to as the "snap-acceleration test." The
test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle,
no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with
the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three
accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year
of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and
newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the
maximum is 55 percent opacity.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.. . This year was the first for my required Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) emission test; a requirement for annual registration. So before I drove the 2004 Dodge Cummins down to the test facility, I call ADEQ for protocol.
I asked if I could go through the “OBDII Only” lane, they said yes. Well bullshit-me if I didn’t wait in line 20 minutes only for them to say I needed the running test.
Here’s the kicker, ADEQ required me to leave my truck in park, andrev the engine to REDLINE (unloaded) and let off the throttle – three friggin times!
Winging a motor at governed redline goes against the grain of everything I thought I understood about motors.
Do I have reason to be pissed, or is this standard procedure now?

Unless your engine was cold on a very cold morning, I wouldn't worry about it.  But this time of year that engine (not a motor;)) is going to warm before you get anywhere.  B's are great engines.  I don't see why they needed anything over 2000-2300 rpms, but I don't understand a lot of things about .gov wants/needs.  I don't really work on many Dodge B's since they have a Chrysler ECM, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a programmer to change the rev limit.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
WA Had the same thing last time I went in.  Is your state a CARB state (does it follow CA)?  WA does.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We're not a CARB state, yet. I just got my emissions license, but only for gas vehicles. There was a couple of dudes trying to get their diesel license,and they were struggling, a lot. I'm glad I just had to get a fleet certificate, and not a diesel one, too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#7]
yea the snap test has been used for a while . haveing to remove the tune and reinstall the cat and EGR is going to be a drag for some folks with 05's next year .
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never had any problem passing despite certain modifications, but I run her almost dry, fill up with biodiesel and make sure it's good and warm before the test.

Actually, I did fail once, but it was because they ran the test wrong.  I came back two days later without changing anything and passed with flying colors
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]
the Diesel cert is a breeze ,I have all but the Diesel cert and a'm a fleet inspector fleet agent and owner as well . the problem with the fleet Diesel is the cost of owning the Opacity testing equiptment . that's why I bring ours to Gordon Darby (state run) for Diesel emission inspection .the test the ADEQ makes you take is all memerisation and a trained chimp could pass it .and if you were to take the 2 day class there is no way you would fail the test .
Quoted:
We're not a CARB state, yet. I just got my emissions license, but only for gas vehicles. There was a couple of dudes trying to get their diesel license,and they were struggling, a lot. I'm glad I just had to get a fleet certificate, and not a diesel one, too.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the Diesel cert is a breeze ,I have all but the Diesel cert and a'm a fleet inspector fleet agent and owner as well . the problem with the fleet Diesel is the cost of owning the Opacity testing equiptment . that's why I bring ours to Gordon Darby (state run) for Diesel emission inspection .the test the ADEQ makes you take is all memerisation and a trained chimp could pass it .and if you were to take the 2 day class there is no way you would fail the test .
Quoted:

I don't want the diesel cert, and I didn't want the fleet inspector license either. It was forced on me by my job. You're right though, we memorized the test the night before, and passed it no problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top