Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 1:36:57 PM EDT
I just got my license and my radio.  Anyone know of any good repeater freqs. in the Mesa/Gilbert Area???
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Been thinking of getting a basic license for some time...  A friend who is really into it says that the morse code requirement may even go out the window soon.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]

I belong to the Pinal County Emergency Communications Group

Welcome aboard

Do you have the ARRL Repeater book? Fry's sells them if you don't have one. Or you can go to www.arrl.com. They're about $8... There's also The Superstition Amateur Radio Club up there. They meet in Mesa from what I know of them... Good group. Maricopa also has an EmComm group but they are more geared to working events like bike races and stuff like that. They do have the Palos Verdes Nuke plant siren test coming up in a couple months too.

As far as the requirement for code disappearing, that might happen. It's in "committee" so to speak. And, that's for the General Class license and above. You still don't need to know code for the Technician Class license which covers quite a few bands. Just nothing on HF.

KE7***
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Been thinking of getting a basic license for some time...  A friend who is really into it says that the morse code requirement may even go out the window soon.

Mike

The basic Tech No Code test is EASY!.  I downloaded a study guide, read it about 2-3 times and then took a bunch of Practice Tests on-line.  That was on Monday and on Saturday I went and took the test.  35 questions, pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I belong to the Pinal County Emergency Communications Group

Welcome aboard

Do you have the ARRL Repeater book? Fry's sells them if you don't have one. Or you can go to www.arrl.com. They're about $8... There's also The Superstition Amateur Radio Club up there. They meet in Mesa from what I know of them... Good group. Maricopa also has an EmComm group but they are more geared to working events like bike races and stuff like that. They do have the Palos Verdes Nuke plant siren test coming up in a couple months too.

As far as the requirement for code disappearing, that might happen. It's in "committee" so to speak. And, that's for the General Class license and above. You still don't need to know code for the Technician Class license which covers quite a few bands. Just nothing on HF.

KE7***

Don't have the AARL book, I do have teh Southwest Freq. Guide and it has some freqs in it...  I only have a Handheld right now (VX-6R) but sometime in the near future (I hope) I will get a moble for my truck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out www.azrepeaters.net for some good AZ Repeaters. Get with a club or group too so you get to know other hams. Do some "rag chewing".. You can hit the repeater I hang out on from Mesa. It's located in Globe 147.200 with a Positive Offset and a PL Tone of 162.2 even with an HT at 5w.

One of our Officers of our group lives in East Mesa and also hangs out on that repeater. We have seveal in Mesa as a matter in fact as well as several in AJ. We're having a statewide exercise mid-October involving feds/state/county/local personnel. It's going to be HUGE! Hams from my group are going to do a lot of the comms for the various served agencies. Since it's a simulated emergency, I'm assuming comms for the PD and FD are going to be simulated as being down. So, that's where we come in. We supplied much of the comms for the Red Cross Shelter last month in Phoenix as well.

Every Tuesday evening at 1900 hours we have what is called a NET (a get together over the radio). Sometimes it's a training session and sometimes we just check in as a group. Check in as a guest tomorrow night if you can. I IM'd you my call sign and it's on the frequency I stated above. Lasts about 1/2 hour.

What made you decide to get your ticket anyway?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
welcome!

KD7***
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Howdy again!
Phessor
KD7###
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top