Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 9:55:44 AM EDT
Has anyone done this? What’s the best way to take off the popcorn finish on a ceiling? Lightly water down and scrape or just scrape it off? Was it pain to refinish the ceiling and what did you use to finish it with? My step son (22 years old) finally moved out of the house and my son wants to move into the bigger room now. Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Did the lightly water using a glass spray bottle and scrape in one room of the house. Sold the house after getting a bid for the rest of the house .

Paid $2K to have it removed in the next house and the ceiling retextured.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
All the water does is keep dust from getting everywhere. If you're living in the house, have all your electronics and sofas uncovered, then wet it first. If you can move stuff out of the room, then just scrape away...it's faster.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's ever been painted, forget it.
If not, the wet it and scrape works well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Tannerite works for me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's the old stuff, it might have asbestos in it. Wouldn't want you, or a family member, to win the Darwin award a few years from now. There's a reason the price to remove it is higher than it should be.

Probably should have it checked out first.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
jwrig, thanks you pointing that out (asbestos).  The house is around 23 years old, does anyone know if they used asbestos in the popcorn finish back then?
richardh247, I want a house that I can live in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do people remove acoustic ceilings?  Why bother?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
In one of my houses, I used a spray bottle to wet down while I had a scraper duct taped to a shop vac. I also had a dust pan duct taped underneath. Be prepared to empty the shop vac alot. You would be amazed how much of this stuff there really is on a ceiling.
The next house, I just got a sprayer and painted over it, much less hassle.

If you take off the acoustic, be prepared to have to skim coat and texture the drywall that is underneath.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
markm, when your tall and go to put on a shirt or just stretch sometimes my hands will hit the ceiling and knock that finish off and get it all over the place. Then you have to get the vacuum cleaner out to clean it up. It will also get dirty with dust over a peroid of time and my wife does not like to clean it, she cleans it twice a year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Dig it!  I've just seen ads for it and stuff recently.  I have it in my house and didn't know if it was freakishly out of vogue or what.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I did it in my living room a while back.

Next time, I'm paying somebody to do it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top