Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 4:26:43 PM EDT
If someone is having a firearm shipped to you, does it have to come from an FFL?

I made the mistake of using a pawnshop down the street from me (because I didn't want to drive across town) and they are refusing to give me the rifle I bought because it was shipped from a non-FFL. They say it's some AZ law.

I've spoken to the PHX PD Pawn detail and they told me that was incorrect, they just had to follow Fed Law. He also pointed me to the PHX Pawn statutes.

So I went down to pick up the rifle they won't give it to me and the damn detective (In fact the whole pawn detail office) is gone for the day.

I was told that I had 2 choices; They could turn it over to the police as abandoned property, or I could act like I'm pawning the rifle and I would then have to wait 10 days while a stolen item search was run on it.

So, if you work at a pawn shop, is there some AZ pawn law about this or not?

Oh, and i know I fucked up by going to a pawn shop now, no need to run it in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would call the ATF.  Sounds very suspicious.  My understanding on the law is a FFL has to do the transfer.  Not the actual shipping.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would call the ATF.  Sounds very suspicious.  My understanding on the law is a FFL has to do the transfer.  Not the actual shipping.

Yup, but they are saying it's some Pawn Lawn that everything they get has to be logged in some certain way.

I really fucked up on this one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring them a copy of Derek's FFL, have them ship it to him and be done with them??

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it does not have to be shipped from an FFL.  However, they do need to identify the shipper in their log.

If they state that it is AZ law, then ask them to provide the statute.  While you are at it, look up the Title 13 statutes regarding theft.  If they are holding your property, based on an assumption that has no basis in fact, they themselves may be violating the law.

Here, this might help:

www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/01802.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

I'd ask they be cited under ARS 13-1802 A.2

Theft of a firearm is an automatic class 6 felony
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, forgot to add that you might also want to take a copy of the UPS, USPS, FedEX an other shippers policy on firearm shipments.

In any event, do not let yourself get out of hand.  It lessens any credibility you might have.  If all your logic doesn't persuade them, then I would call the Po Po, and request the pawn shop manager/owner be cited for theft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I had sent an email to the guy I bought it from earlier asking when he shipped it, because I hadn't recieved it yet. He just replied that per USPS tracking they recieved the rifle on the 19th. Thos bastards have been holding it for 5 damn days and didn't tell me. If I really do have to wait 10 days, I could have started this process 5 days ago.

I'm going down there tomorrow with the detective and sort this crap out.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember being told something like this from the guy at Scottsdale gun store, I think at the time they were consider a pawn. Might want to give them a call just to see what they say.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
crap I can't believe how bad this is getting.

The PHX PD Pawn Detail said they won't deal with it anymore because it has nothing to do with them. The Detective actually sounded pissed at me for calling him about it.

So I just had to get the local ATF involved who said they are going to call them and tell them to either give me my rifle, or ship it back to the seller so he can ship it to another FFL. I'm sure they won't want to give me my $25 transfer fee back and it will cost me another $20 for shipping, and more time and a chance of something bad happening to the rifle.

This is such an amazing clusterfuck I can't believe it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
crap I can't believe how bad this is getting.

The PHX PD Pawn Detail said they won't deal with it anymore because it has nothing to do with them. The Detective actually sounded pissed at me for calling him about it.

So I just had to get the local ATF involved who said they are going to call them and tell them to either give me my rifle, or ship it back to the seller so he can ship it to another FFL. I'm sure they won't want to give me my $25 transfer fee back and it will cost me another $20 for shipping, and more time and a chance of something bad happening to the rifle.

This is such an amazing clusterfuck I can't believe it.

Call the Phoenix PD, and ask to speak to the professional standards bureau.  File a complaint for malfeasance/misfeasance in office.    
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#10]
It's resolved. I guess the PHX PD Pawn detail decided to call them up and tell them they were idiots, plus the ATF calling them, that did the trick.

I got a call about 30 minutes ago from the Detective telling me I was good-to-go, My rifle was ready for pickup.

I just got back with it.

to steal words from markm

w00t!

This was a nightmare, and using them for a transfer was the worst decision I've made all year, which is saying a lot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Where are the pics/details you slacker? WTF!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have to put his pimp clothes on first.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Christ! Not another SgtAr15.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Christ! Not another SgtAr15.....

Here you go.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Dayum.  Next time just ship it to me.  No, it's not legal, cause I'm not an FFL.  But I wouldn't mind taking it and holding it for 10 days of shooting fun storage.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]
What pawn shop was this ?

F.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Pawn Plus on Cave Creek, just north of Cactus.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The big yellow one?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The big yellow one?

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The big yellow one?

Yup.

That guy is a jackoff of the first order. Shortly after a friend of mine was killed in an MC accident right outside his store, a bunch of us held a short memorial service at the spot where he went down. As we gathered briefly to remember him, the owner came out to complain about the presence of "all those bikes in his lot". When it was explained to him that we were just gathering quickly to remember a lost brother, and would be gone in a few minutes, he said he didn't care, and would call the cops if we didn't disperse immediately.

We told him to fuck off, and to go ahead and call the cops. We finished our brief service and left peacefully. Don't know if the cops ever showed, nor do I care. He will never get a dime of business from me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The big yellow one?

Yup.

That guy is a jackoff of the first order. Shortly after a friend of mine was killed in an MC accident right outside his store, a bunch of us held a short memorial service at the spot where he went down. As we gathered briefly to remember him, the owner came out to complain about the presence of "all those bikes in his lot". When it was explained to him that we were just gathering quickly to remember a lost brother, and would be gone in a few minutes, he said he didn't care, and would call the cops if we didn't disperse immediately.

We told him to fuck off, and to go ahead and call the cops. We finished our brief service and left peacefully. Don't know if the cops ever showed, nor do I care. He will never get a dime of business from me.

Since I have no reason to doubt the validity of your story, I will never shop there.  Fuck him.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#22]
That shop is notorious for being crooked.  They have gotten into trouble in the past for shoplifting items from the home depot, and then selling them in their pawn shop.  They also were part of a criminal investigation between them and the Phoenix PD pawn shop detail.  The owner would pay for bachelor parties for the pawn detail, hire strippers, and such.  It was alleged that this was graft given to the officers so they would look the other way.  I know a bunch of the pawn detail cops got in quite a bit of trouble over it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Dayum.  That place has been there for years, and this is the first I have heard of these horror stories.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The big yellow one?

Yup.

Was this the fat Yankee Fuck with the designer greasehead clothes (Monster Garage style) and a diamond the size of my nut in his left ear?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top