Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 11:07:13 AM EDT
Ok, I want to take my wife and 2 girls (4 yrs and 2 yrs old) on a small "get out of town" overnight camp trip.  I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions.  I want something up north so we are in the Pines.  I am thinking about going up to 6A area (Stoneman Lake / Morman Lake area) I hunt there and know the area REALLY well and have some great camping spots aleady.   However, I would like to find a place that has a nice little stream / pond area where the kids cam go swimming in.  I know there is some place by Pine/Strawberry where I went a few years ago where there was a nice stream and natural pond but I don't remember where it was exactly.  I don't want any place I have to hike into with the kids.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I forgot the name but north of Payson on 87 there is a stream (Clear Creek?) where you can camp right off of the highway, under the bridge area.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I forgot the name but north of Payson on 87 there is a stream (Clear Creek?) where you can camp right off of the highway, under the bridge area.

... Do you mean Christopher Creek? The cabin I'm building is right near there and it's beautiful right now. Plus it's only about 18 miles north of Payson - quick drive. Now, if you wanna really go wild, and you have the time, head over to Hannigan's Meadow / Big Lake / Three Forks area - Major Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Do you mean Christopher Creek? The cabin I'm building is right near there and it's beautiful right now. Plus it's only about 18 miles north of Payson - quick drive. Now, if you wanna really go wild, and you have the time, head over to Hannigan's Meadow / Big Lake / Three Forks area - Major Woo Hoo!

You are probably correct. Been a while since I've been there.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are probably correct. Been a while since I've been there.

The stream under the  Hwy 87 bridge north of Payson is the East Verde.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stream under the  Hwy 87 bridge north of Payson is the East Verde.

... You're absolutely correct - I had Hwy 260 just north of Payson in my head

ETA: ... Here's a neat little PDF file that maps the majors streams & rivers in AZ. I found it somewhat amusing and I spend a lot of time staring at maps.

alliance.la.asu.edu/maps/AZ-RIV~1.PDF
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I was 100 miles away from home last night and didnt want to pay for a room so I slept in my car in the middle of Prescott Valley.

Does that count as a good camping area?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was 100 miles away from home last night and didnt want to pay for a room so I slept in my car in the middle of Prescott Valley.

Sounds more like a good way to wake up being teabagged by a tweaker.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I camp occasionally in a place called 'potato patch' near mingus mountain.  I don't know the proximity to a creek, but I suspect there is one nearby.  It's pretty cool, pine forests and all that.

Sorry I don't have my GPS info, I'd send a grid.

~Doug
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds more like a good way to wake up being teabagged by a tweaker.

Or having three cops that are looking for a carjacker beat your ass, taser you, and let a K-9 chew on your leg.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like people support my vagrancy.

I had my ID in teh window so people could see who I was. That way, I only get the dog.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Ianq, post pics of the camp spot you all go to, Im also up for getting out of the valley
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top