Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:14:10 PM EDT
I just took a hike in Sabino Canyon in the Coronado National Forest and they had that infamous red prohibited sign over a silhouette of a Beretta M92. This sucks. Since National Forests are under the purview of the Dept. of Agriculture, as opposed to the National Park Service, I thought firearm regulation was state-based and I would be ok.

Further more, as I was walking into the “forest” I run into a danger orange sign that reads, “DANGER! High mountain lion activity. Enter at own risk.” Well thanks a fucking bunch. The little pamphlet that they gave me didn’t bring up my confidence either as recently there have been mountain lions that have “stalked humans” (This is the pamphlet’s wording.)

At least the walk was pleasant as the cloud coverage made it not so hot. I saw a crap load of quick lizards, one havelina, and two deer (white-tail I think.) In fact, I think I saw more wildlife today then that week I walked a section of the Appalachian Trail.

Has anyone tried writting the yahoos in charge of the place?

~Scott
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I wrote them a letter at the beginning of the mountain lion craze and never got a response
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
That is soooo lame. Especially when most other National Forests bow to state law.

It really sucks when you need to make the choice between the law or your life.
Better to be judged by twelve than digested by one? ~Scott
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a crossbow with those spinning razer tips?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What about a crossbow with those spinning razer tips?

LoL, just what I need. Getting busted under suspition of poaching.

~Scott

--------------------------------
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." ~Tpr. M. Padgett
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
OK then how about a pistol  Crossbow?

What is it about the Crossbow that makes it just so cool?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If it doesn't say no firearms on the sign could we assume they hate beretta's?? Maybe revolvers are ok?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it doesn't say no firearms on the sign could we assume they hate beretta's?? Maybe revolvers are ok?

LoL, nice try, but the guide they gave me said that weapons are prohibited.
I hate it when colleges and other organizations use the vague term of "weapon" so they can cover their asses in any incident.  Bakc at UMBC we had some kids living in the apartments get in trouble for some very large kitchen knives. hinking.gif

Technically, if you wanted to disarm me of everything on my person that could be used as a weapon you would have to take: my gun, knife, my flaslight, my keys, my belt, all of my clothes (as I could probabally strangle someone with a pair of pants or a t-shirt,) my arms and my legs (with hands and feet attached), and finally my brain (as my mom constantly tells me that if I had one, I'd be dangerous. here
But yeah I'm considering writting/calling them just so I can find out why they do the things they do. Maybe contact the DoA to get the scuttlebutt at the precint.

~Scott

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." ~Tpr. M. Padgett
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
"Concealed Carry"

Works every time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Sabino Canyon is probably defined as a "Recreation Area" lots of restrictions in those areas, unfortunately those areas usually get defined as Recreation Areas because of high volume use, and the restrictions usually end up in place as a result of stupidity on the part of users resulting in a knee jerk reaction from the safety Nazis.

I can see closing high volume areas to shooting, but closing them to carry is rediculous.  Call the district ranger for that Ranger District of the Coronado Forest and ask him what's up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Use sporting equipment, like the pistol you use at a practical pistol match.  You see,  it's a piece of sports equipment, not a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I would tell the ranger it is you right to carry concealed for your personal protection.  Then ask him if the .gov will be liable for your injury's, if you are denied your right to carry.  

If that fails ask him if a tazer is OK.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would tell the ranger it is you right to carry concealed for your personal protection.  Then ask him if the .gov will be liable for your injury's, if you are denied your right to carry.  

They'll just drag out the ol' Organ Pipe line and say, "if you're that worried about it then you shouldn't be coming out here."
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"Concealed Carry"

Works every time.

+1

The guy you see with the Kifaru pack, hiking sticks and suck-meter morale patch ball cap just MIGHT be a po-po who also isn't thrilled about being eaten alive by large carnivorous felines and who MIGHT or MIGHT NOT feel more comfortable way back on Espero Trail knowing he has something in .45 flavor handy.

Wave and say "Howdy".

Sheep
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just took a hike in Sabino Canyon in the Coronado National Forest and they had that infamous red prohibited sign over a silhouette of a Beretta M92. This sucks. Since National Forests are under the purview of the Dept. of Agriculture, as opposed to the National Park Service, I thought firearm regulation was state-based and I would be ok.

Further more, as I was walking into the “forest” I run into a danger orange sign that reads, “DANGER! High mountain lion activity. Enter at own risk.” Well thanks a fucking bunch. The little pamphlet that they gave me didn’t bring up my confidence either as recently there have been mountain lions that have “stalked humans” (This is the pamphlet’s wording.)

At least the walk was pleasant as the cloud coverage made it not so hot. I saw a crap load of quick lizards, one havelina, and two deer (white-tail I think.) In fact, I think I saw more wildlife today then that week I walked a section of the Appalachian Trail.

~Scott

While they can restrict DISCHARGE of firearms, I question their ability to restrict lawfully carry of a firearm-- especially a handgun.

How in the world are they pulling this off?  

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Spear.....a VERY BIG SPEAR!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Why don't you man up and wear one of these to go hiking in Sabino Canyon? I'm sure it can take down a cougar.
http://www.timferrante.com/Abyss/Photographs/Season1/pic103dl.jpg
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:53:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why don't you man up and wear one of these to go hiking in Sabino Canyon? I'm sure it can take down a cougar.
www.timferrante.com/Abyss/Photographs/Season1/pic103dl.jpg

I'm all for being vindictive, but I prefer to survive my encounters.

~Scott

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Concealed Carry"

Works every time.

+1  What they don't know ain't gonna hurt em.  It's not like the trails have metal dectectors!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#19]
agreed, ones life is more important than some bullshit law.  some times there are some many different signs posted that they all blend together and its hard to tell what is what.

maybe if they are really serious about no guns then they should have us sign a form when you go through the park entrance.  i don't recall seeing signs in catalina state park.

i'll be damned if i let my family get eaten by a lion. all the wildlife freaks can go suck a dick, i don't really care about who's habitat it is, we live on this plant too and it's survival of the fittest.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

~Scott

Try carring a 1911 or Glock. If caught respond "but it is not a Beretta M92".

Really though if you CCW nobody will be the wiser unless you have to draw down on a lion, bear or human with a bad attitude.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Friend went by there today.  The signs still there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#22]
+1,000 on CONCEALED CARRY

The Nat'l Park Service is blissfully unaware of the FIVE TIMES I've carried CONCEALED in Grand Canyon National Park, and just about everywhere else I've been in AZ as well.

It's also the reason why some of us have "deep carry" handguns as well.

A .380 doesn't print (usually) at all, and it's better than a pointy stick.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

.gov liable for injuries in either case?  you must still believe in the Easter Bunny?  Why do you have even the slightest concept that the .gov might be liable.  (Before answering  read up on the legal concept of sovereign immunity)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#24]
SHEEEEIT, when i ride ATVs off in certain parts of Coronado, i am packing!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]
"I zinc I 'ave zee solution..."

What about carrying one of these:
H&K P2A1

I think a flare gun is a viable tool while backpacking. You may need it if you were to injure yourself and not be able to get back to civilization. I'm not sure if the no weapons policy can cover this or not. I mean, you don't even need a FFL holder to transfer one. Yet it could also be turned into a deadly weapon if need be. I think the only argument they could have would be, "No explosives."

Still, imagine hiking out there alone and breaknig your leg. You'd be SOL unless you had a cell phone (if it works) or one of these. Plus you could totally have fun expending old flares for the 4th of July!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top