Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 10:24:10 PM EDT
Hi all,
I'm trying to get some "local" perspective about moving to the northern (Western or Eastern) parts of AZ. in the near future. I'm Very Pro Gun, Republican, and want OUT of the god forsaken state of Michigan!

I'm looking for an area where there are trees and an even, moderate climate (No 145 degrees in the shade thank you!). Somewhere I might be able to afford a little land near larger public lands to hunt and/or shoot.

I don't want to live with displaced liberal ex-kali tree huggers, just normal folks.
It would also be nice if I could find work fairly close by!

Can you guys help?

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it would help to know what kind of work you do.

Flagstaff is a college town. So there might be alot of tree hugging liberals there. Flag is in the northern part. Plus I don't know what kind of work opportunities are up there.

Thats pretty much it in northern Az. Either everything is a tourist trap with no work opportunities for the most part or just really small towns.

Since you need to find work close by your best chances are Phoenix and Tucson. But there goes the climate part of it and the displaced Kali tree huggers. Plus you also have to deal with the snowbirds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend Prescott, but it's quickly being over run by Cali refugee's and there liberal ways. My wife moved here from Oregon, after 30 years in the great northwest, and the heat doesn't bother her at all. She works indoors, though. Aside from Phoenix, and Tucson, unless your independently wealthy, there's not many other choices in this state.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Tall_Shadow,

Do you speak Navajo?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tall_Shadow,

Do you speak Navajo?

Other than "vegetarian=bad hunter" No.

Damn!<<< about the liberal/sunbird/BS in Northern AZ.
I knew there had to be a catch!

I was looking for somewhere that I could still get 4 seasons, it was fairly dry(humidity & I DO NOT get along at all!), and someplace where it's gun friendly, And I know AZ is!

As far as work, I do electronics right now, and for the past 24+ years. But I could try to fit into something if everything else was right.

I just want out of Michigan! I HATE the liberals, Unions, Gun laws, Welfare Suckers, and that the weather goes from -20 one week to +95 & 95% humidity the next. Then after an imposable short summer, it's back to snow and freezing cold for the next 9-10 months!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you want to repair TVs then its Phoenix or Tucson if you are into electronics.

Four seasons and dry humidity? Not sure there are places like that around anywhere
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Flagstaff is a college town. So there might be alot of tree hugging liberals there. Flag is in the northern part. Plus I don't know what kind of work opportunities are up there.

Thats pretty much it in northern Az. Either everything is a tourist trap with no work opportunities for the m

Ya think?

You had better be ready to work at Chinamart or Target if you don't have a job already lined up in the PRF.  You might check out W.R. Gore, they manufacture medical implants here. May need techs.www.gore.com/en_xx/
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I am also looking for a home in Arizona but this will be for my retirement so jobs are not an issue. Like Tall Shadow I like the idea of having four mild seasons and would like your input on locations in the north part of the state. I have been to the Tucson area and loved the desert environment but don’t know if I could deal with the summer heat.  My dream would be a home on a few acres that allowed me to shoot on my property. Prescott looks interesting to me and I don’t mind being a counter balance to the liberal Kali influx so long as they don’t totally screw-up the laws and the live and let live attitude. I’m from NJ and know how bad a state can become when liberal idiots vote in big brother politicians and they go on a crusade to social engineer ever facet of your life. I have been very active in fighting the anti gun laws in NJ taking off days from work to protest at rallies in Trenton, unfortunately to little effect. Much of the north east US seems to be beyond political redemption.
Some of you have expressed your concerns with the influx of people coming to Arizona and I understand and agree with your concerns. Hopefully you have room for a few good conservative gun owning refugees looking for a better place to live.
So please give me some ideas on where to start looking in Arizona.

Thanks
Rich V
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tall_Shadow,

Do you speak Navajo?

In all honesty, there is still quite a good bit or redneck in northern AZ.  A lot of homes here are being bought as second homes for people in vegas, PHX and LA, so the markt is quite unreal (250,000 for a 2-bd 1-ba close to downtown) and yes we have a good bit of unarmed liberal hippie-types walking around in teva sandals with socks on.  There is also quite a mix of indians running around here, some are great people, others are the stereotypical dunken beggard, go figure.  Kingman is growing, as well as Winslow, and they are developing their own business districts.  

On a side note, I commonly hear living in northern AZ being described as "poverty with a view."

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
What about Payson or the White Mountains?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

These look like they are in Indian reservations.
Are us pale faces welcome there?
They do look like some beautiful areas from the web links I found.

Rich  V
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The closer you live to an Indian Reservation in Arizona the higher the crime rate.

Just a fact of life.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Kingman.

Lots of nice folk and land around there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Kingman.

Lots of nice folk and land around there.

Just stay out of Golden Valley.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
... I'll be up the mountain this weekend. I'm determined to buy some property there very soon now. My goal is to retire up the hill inside a 15 year time-frame. Securing the dirt around Flagstaff now is instrumental in achieving that goal. In the mean time, it will be my summer home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These look like they are in Indian reservations.
Are us pale faces welcome there?
They do look like some beautiful areas from the web links I found.

Rich  V

Payson is definitely not in a reservation. Parts of the White Mountains are in a reservation, parts are not.

The good thing about the heat in the desert is that the hangers-on (snowbirds, weak hippies) literally evaporate during the summer. If it weren't for the heat, Phoenix would already be like SoCal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top