Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 10:03:50 AM EDT
I survived the FFL interview and everything went well!  The examiner was a cool guy- no problems, friendly, definitely not any type of JBT.

Best of all, no need for a replacement door or dog!  

I'll keep everyone posted- looks like I'll be a standard Type 01 in 6-8 weeks.

Crossing my fingers,

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Did he ask tax license questions?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You doing this out of your house?
Reason I ask is that I was thinking of getting one,
and need to find out how you went about finding
out about zoning deal/thing.

Anyway to look that up short of a trip downtown?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did he ask tax license questions?

Yup.  Proper local, county, and state licensing were big parts of the interview.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yup.

The biggest hurdle is zoning and licensing.  If you want to do it out of a house, you need to either be zoned for a home business and/or have proper dispensation from zoning.  

If you've got zoning, you're pretty much golden.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I survived the FFL interview and everything went well!  The examiner was a cool guy- no problems, friendly, definitely not any type of JBT.

Best of all, no need for a replacement door or dog!  I'll keep everyone posted- looks like I'll be a standard Type 01 in 6-8 weeks.

Crossing my fingers,

Mike

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Will you be doing transfers for us members for a reasonable amount?

And are you a flake?   Every other FFL I've used is a flake.  That must be a requirement for FFL's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And are you a flake?   Every other FFL I've used is a flake.  That must be a requirement for FFL's.

I'll definitely do transfers for members at reasonable rates.  Now, if you order a Barrett M82 and it takes up a third of my safe space and/or make me hump it to a funshow for you to pick up, I'll probably charge a bit more than standard.    But no prob on doing transfers.

Now, as for being a flake--

1.  Does a flake recognize that they're a flake?
2.  If they are a flake and do recognize it, would they admit to being a flake?

I like to think that I'm not a flake, but I've made made my share of mistakes and done stupid things like all other human beings.  My shit stinks and I'm nowhere near perfect.  But if I screw up I try to make it right.  I've no fear of telling you to ask on this AZ forum if you'd like references- feel free to ask publicly or IM whoever for information.  People here are relatively open with their opinions-- especially as of recent!  

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good Point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I doubt he will be doing any for you now.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

The biggest hurdle is zoning and licensing.  If you want to do it out of a house, you need to either be zoned for a home business and/or have proper dispensation from zoning.  

If you've got zoning, you're pretty much golden.

Mike

Zoning info for Maricopa County:  www.maricopa.gov/planning/default.asp
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll definitely do transfers for members at reasonable rates.  Now, if you order a Barrett M82 and it takes up a third of my safe space and/or make me hump it to a funshow for you to pick up, I'll probably charge a bit more than standard.    But no prob on doing transfers.

Now, as for being a flake--

2.  If they are a flake and do recognize it, would they admit to being a flake?

I like to think that I'm not a flake, but I've made made my share of mistakes and done stupid things like all other human beings.  My shit stinks and I'm nowhere near perfect.  But if I screw up I try to make it right.  I've no fear of telling you to ask on this AZ forum if you'd like references- feel free to ask publicly or IM whoever for information.  People here are relatively open with their opinions-- especially as of recent!  

Mike

Prebans/Mike= Not a Flake.
My .02
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
From searching the zoning site it looks like in Maricopa County a gun store needs to be in a C-1 or above zoned building.

Page 87 here.

www.maricopa.gov/planning/pdf/mczo.pdf?q=gun
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From searching the zoning site it looks like in Maricopa County a gun store needs to be in a C-1 or above zoned building.

Page 87 here.

www.maricopa.gov/planning/pdf/mczo.pdf?q=gun

That's why I'm in Pinal County.  

Mike
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Zoning is what cost me my FFL back in 95.

ATF wouldn't renew my FFL without a City Privilege License and the City of Phoenix wouldn't grant one to an FFL in a home.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Zoning is what cost me my FFL back in 95.

ATF wouldn't renew my FFL without a City Privilege License and the City of Phoenix wouldn't grant one to an FFL in a home.

I knew that I wanted a FFL since I was in grade school.  My dad started me out early and one of my earliest memories is me bloodying my nose with his .45 when I was four or five.  (Lesson #1- do not hold pistol close to face like with rifle when shooting.)  Then we went into this (long-since closed) gun store in a shitty part of Kenosha, WI.  The walls were LINED with AR's.  They had four or five of those circular wooden gun racks full of side folding AK's.  This was the early 80's, guns were all Colts and Polytechs.  Heh..  I still remember trying to figure out how to save up the $99.95 to afford one of those AK's.    Mags everywhere in boxes and crates throughout the room...  

It was then that I decided I wanted my own gun shop.  I didn't understand the legal particulars back then, but I promised myself I would somehow.  Now here it is 20+ years later and I'm finally seeing that dream through.  May not be a store like that YET, but you gotta start somewhere.  

When I was in the market for a house, a big part of where I looked hinged upon that municipality's views on home FFL's.  That tossed Phoenix, Tempe, Apache Junction, and Scottsdale off the map.  Property tax rates came next-- goodbye to Gilbert.  Unless I won the lotto or bought a converted outhouse, PV and Fountain Hills were out of consideration.  That left Mesa, unincorporated Maricopa County, and unincorporated Pinal County.  I narrowed it down to a few areas and then found a perfect house at the right price...  My requirement for friendly zoning hurt at times- I found a steal in Tempe and that put my desire for the license to the test.  But in the end, I'm happy I held out-- I've got a damn fine home and (hopefully) a FFL.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Best of all, no need for a replacement door or dog!  hr

So you can get an FFL quicker than you can register an SBR???Well Congratulations and Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of all, no need for a replacement door or dog!  

I'll keep everyone posted- looks like I'll be a standard Type 01 in 6-8 weeks.

Crossing my fingers,

Mike

So you can get an FFL quicker than you can register an SBR???

Well Congratulations and Good Luck!

My form 4's only take 4 weeks.  (Ah, the wonders of corporate transfers...)  

Thank you much-- I just got some more paperwork in from the ATF on straw man purchases and how to detect them.  The volume of paperwork is really surprising-- and I know that there's just going to be more and more papers in the future.

Maybe I need to start a thread about getting a bunch of guys together for a "cooperative buy" on file cabinets.  

Mike
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, so how much for a standard transfer?  And whereabouts are you located?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Okay, so how much for a standard transfer?  And whereabouts are you located?

I'm in Gold Canyon- east of Apache Junction.  Haven't decided on costs yet-- want the license first before I start advertising anything.  (There's also that gotta be a dealer or inststry partner, too.)  

Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#21]
And for what my opinion is worth, I like Mike/Preban and am planning on doing buiness with him.

Just have to remember he has a Day Job and isn't all gun shop yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top