Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 10:29:57 PM EDT
Well, got some mesh from someone and decided to try my hand at building a mesh chest rig.  

One thing I noticed is that the bartacks at the PALS webbing/channels doesn't seem too strong...don't know if the webbing is strong enough to take much stress, but if the load is spread around / across, it should be OK for light duty.  So, here's the result:

Overall, I am pleased with what is really my third attempt at making something (if you don't count the bastard pouches I tried...).

The challenge here was the lack of a binding attachment, so I did it by hand...and it shows.  The stitching looks like the result of a fist fight between and drunken sailor and a drunken monkey...and you can't tell who one.

The next challenge was lack of 2" S/R buckles, but I came up with a solution by making an "S" out of the webbing and sewing it onto itself from both sides:

Overall, fit wasn't too bad, but the lack of QR buckles makes it a PITA to get in and out of.

Fit isn't too bad, overall.  Seems a little twisted to the right, though I can't immediately ascertain why.  Not an issue, since I am a Southpaw and having my gear on the right side is more convenient.    :)  

It's 14 channels by 4 rows of webbing.  Attached are my 308 MLCS-style pouches (made for us by Custom Tactical) and our SAPPER pouch (made by Recce Gear).  As you can see, plenty of room left over.

Next from the dungeon is....FRANKENSLING.

I am working to combine the comfort of the Israeli Patrol Sling with the CQB capability of a, well, CQB sling.  So far, it works OK. QR body and weapon. Works on a single point sling design and also on the wrist-area of my FAL stock. I've got a couple improvements in mind to make it more versatile, but am waiting on some pieces-parts to go forward.

So, the monster is loose.  Maybe some day, I'll hire that drunken monkey, sober him up, and put him to work!   :)

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Too bad your way over on the other side of town, I could probably scrounge some monkeys for you...

Or atleast one...
server5.uploadit.org/files/thefng-gear2.JPG

Hunt101 isnt working, and I cant resize this pic right....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the funkiest bra I've ever seen. Is it French or something?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey FNG, nice MESA vest.

That ain't no bra, bro, but a masculine tactical support harness. :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have this huge 100 yard roll of 1.25" OD webbing. It's rated at 700 pound test. I ordered it thinking it would work for slings but it's not thick enough and will pull through keepers. I'm willing to let it go for like $20 if anyone needs it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top