Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 7:11:26 PM EDT
Besides the obvious, getting the best chief law enforcement officer we can for us county citizens, I think we owe it the MCSO deputies to hear them out on their prefference. Just about every (actually, every) deputy I've talked to has voiced the opinon that it's time for a change.

Anybody else picked up on this, or am I getting a biased sample?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Who would you rather listen to?

His employees or people that only see him on TV?

(My vote is for change)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally don't like Joe Arpaio, but I don't live in Maricopa County, so my thoughts (and vote) on the matter don't count.

For those of you who do live in Maricopa County, has Joe been Class 3 friendly? By this I mean: will he sign off on Class 3 goodies for regular folks? Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For those of you who do live in Maricopa County, has Joe been Class 3 friendly? By this I mean: will he sign off on Class 3 goodies for regular folks? Just curious.

Yes, but he is slow about it.  Saban, his opponent, is also Class III friendly though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've talked to several MCSO officers and they make Sher. Joe out to be a little bit of a media whore.  They have both called for Saban.  We'll see if the people who turn out to vote are only focused on voting for a name they see on the news, not that he hasn't made some good changes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've talked to several MCSO officers and they make Sher. Joe out to be a little bit of a media whore.  They have both called for Saban.  We'll see if the people who turn out to vote are only focused on voting for a name they see on the news, not that he hasn't made some good changes.

That's an understatement
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If i l lived in maracopa i woulndt vote for him after he suppored Naplitano in a ad for govener.

I live in pima thu so my opinion in this matter doesnt mean jack.

I dont know much about our sherrif other then hes c3 friendly I need to research that as well since I believe hes also up for relection.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Saban, his opponent, is also Class III friendly though.

Do we know this for fact?  Has he stated he will sign for NFA?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Saban, his opponent, is also Class III friendly though.

Do we know this for fact?  Has he stated he will sign for NFA?

Thanks

Call or e-mail and ask.

www.sabanforsheriff.com/index.htm
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya, it was a thread on this very board.  I don't remember which topic though...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

(My vote is for change)

From someone that works for the Sheriff's office... there is a lot of talk of a "Change"...  take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I took topjimmys advice and emailed the NFA question.  I got an answer first thing AM.  Not sure what they saud though.  Here is the question and answer:

Me
====================================
Hello,

I am considering voting for Mr. Saban in  the upcoming election.  As an avid shooter and collecter of NFA registered machineguns I am interested in his position on this subject. Ownership of NFA registered devices requires  a Chief Law Enforcement signature before the ATF will process the transfer.   The current regime signs these forms for us in Maricopa county.

Will Mr. Saban also sign for NFA paperwork if elected?  Will he try to improve the current 6 week  time to do so?

Thank you for your response.
===================================

Response from Dan and Donna Saban
Dear James,

I am a firm supported of our right to bear arms and the 2nd amendment.  Additionally, I support the CCW laws and the certifications required.  Finally I will ensure that MCSO provides quality services in all areas which means appropriate processes to expedite the signature signing.  I think Joe drags his feet on this one on purpose.  If it is the law I will always do my job in a reasonable and timely manner.

Sincerely,

Dan Saban

No where does he address NFA.  Give me your impressions before I resend the question to him.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

.. Finally I will ensure that MCSO provides quality services in all areas which means appropriate processes to expedite the signature signing.  I think Joe drags his feet on this one on purpose.  If it is the law I will always do my job in a reasonable and timely manner.

Sincerely,

Dan Saban

No where does he address NFA.  Give me your impressions before I resend the question to him.

Thanks

... True, there is some vagueness here, but his last statement sure sounds like it’s implied. Wouldn't count on it though. Ask him for clarification.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Winston,

Exactly my take.  I think HE thinks he answered the question.  But he did not.  If he were a full time politician I would say he definately did NOT answer it.  I will follow up.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I got another reply.  

==============================
James,

I apologize, the last part of my answer about complying with any laws meant yes I will sign off on all applications which meet proper legal guidelines in a very efficient and swift manner.  I know Joe drags his feet with theses permits others have ask this very question.

Hope that helps!

Dan

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Up here in Yavapai, Steve Waugh has the support of all the grunts from every agency in the county, and he's all in favor of signing off on NFA toys:

SWEET  !!!!!!!    

Jay
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
site seems (political guess yall  dont like average  folk)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(My vote is for change)

From someone that works for the Sheriff's office... there is a lot of talk of a "Change"...  take it for what it's worth.

Some of us are being quiet until it's all over.

One might find themself working in Gila Bend...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you think Saban will get rid of tent city and the likes?  I think tent city is a good thing!

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do you think Saban will get rid of tent city and the likes?  I think tent city is a good thing!

From his site.

Jail Operations

I am not in favor of giving inmates any special treatment like access to cigarettes, adult magazines, or cable TV.  However, I am about creating a safe and humane environment for people to be incarcerated.  70% of the inmates in our jail system are pre-trial detainees and have not been convicted yet.  The department of Justice dictates very strict requirements in which to secure these detainees.  Of those who are convicted of felonies, they are sent off to State Prison (entirely different operation) and those who are sentenced to do their misdemeanor county time are sentenced to tent city.  Some of this misdemeanor time is the result of an open ended non-violent felony (For example, first offense possession of marijuana.)

I believe we should offer rehabilitation programs within cost limitations and work with social services to create programs for those who have been incarcerated not to return.

ASU did a recidivism study (Dr. John Hepburn) on the harsh conditions in Tent City and found that it had no direct impact on inmates returning to the system.  The recidivism rate was the same as the standard jail cell confinement.  I'm a professional law enforcement executive and I will operate our jail system with all the available resources I can obtain on to insure tax dollars are well spent and the environment is safe for the employees and inmates.

The lack of quality service within the current jail system is a result of understaffing.  There is an immediate need for 300 Detention Officer positions. The current employees are forced to work 6-day work weeks and often work double shifts. This pressure creates low morale and affects job performance. This comes at a time when Joe chooses to conduct prostitution round-ups and other high visibility "stunts" to keep his name in the media instead of properly staffing the Jails and the Patrol areas. An additional problem is the medical services within our jails are coordinated by a separate County entity and Joe has no relationship with them.

I believe the pink shorts and the stripes are used to humiliate and demean those who have to wear them.  The pink underwear will be eliminated and the stripes replaced with proper inmate attire (like other professionally operated jails in our country.)

Proposition 411 ($540 million) was created to build new jails and which would reduce the overcrowding and thus eliminate the need for the "over flow" with Tent City.

Tent City has been the source of numerous lawsuits and complaints. Unfortunately, like in so many other areas of MCSO the resources haven't been allocated properly and there are approximately 1,000 detention positions unfilled as the new jail go on line in July. With that being said you would have to maintain Tent City until these vacancies are filled to handle the over flow. I would redesign the existing Tent City from its current design as one large compound.

My plan would be to reduce the overall size of Tent City smaller “pods” of 3 or 4 tents within their own fenced in area.  This would immediately reduce the number of inmates free to mingle with each other.  Additionally, I would incorporate the classification system which is used at the initial booking phase to then classify inmates in Tent City with similar crimes, personalities, propensity for future violence. The major concern I have with the Tent's is this very issue, lack of classification of the inmates. The current system of just putting them "all" out there without being appropriately classified leads to assaults, rape, gangs, extortion, and additional lawsuits.

My entire platform is about offering a professional perspective and to make the best investment with tax dollars. This means making the increase of staff levels within our jails a top priority and renewing relationships with service providers within the system to improve the conditions for employees and inmates. This before any additional "projects" can be implemented.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top