Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2022 11:56:45 AM EDT
So I’m moving to Ohio (military pcs) this summer. I of course am planning to do some deer hunting in the fall. I see that the state requires straight walled cartridges for rifle hunting. The only rifle cal I have that is “straight walled” is a 44-40. I know this cartridge has a very small taper. The taper of this cartridge is essentially the same as a 45/70 and 450 bushmaster; both of which are known legal calibers. Would a 44-40 be considered legal? Would anyone really care? If you are not familiar with 44-40, it was designed with a very slight taper to allow better feeding and ejection when fired out of a rifle during a time of balloon head and copper cases (1870’s).
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that's GTG. The "straight wall" caliber thing is more like not a bottle neck. You could call one of the ODNR offices to double check.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help! I'm very fond of the 44-40 and it's good to hear that I can hunt with it there!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
.44-40 does technically have a slight bottleneck. So, no, you can't hunt with it in Ohio.

SAAMI specifications for a .44-40 chamber are 0.4710-inch diameter at the base of the cartridge, and 0.4435-inch at the neck.

@xoldsmugglerx
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what the regulations have:

LINK

44-40 looks fine to me.  I would not call the .013 difference between the base and the neck a "shoulder"
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I’m moving to Ohio (military pcs) this summer. I of course am planning to do some deer hunting in the fall. I see that the state requires straight walled cartridges for rifle hunting. The only rifle cal I have that is “straight walled” is a 44-40. I know this cartridge has a very small taper. The taper of this cartridge is essentially the same as a 45/70 and 450 bushmaster; both of which are known legal calibers. Would a 44-40 be considered legal? Would anyone really care? If you are not familiar with 44-40, it was designed with a very slight taper to allow better feeding and ejection when fired out of a rifle during a time of balloon head and copper cases (1870’s).
View Quote

@xoldsmugglerx

I’d call the ODNR.  Honestly.  I used to be a certified hunter Ed instructor and im still not sure. Straight technically means no taper, at all.  I know some wardens  that wouldn’t care, some that would seize your stuff.  

https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-ODNR/wildlife/wildlife-contacts/customer-service
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
"Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson."

The above is an old list.  But on all that I can find, your caliber is not listed.  I'd call the ODNR and ask, as some have already said.  It's likely they won't know or care enough to tell you no?  Its close enough for me, plus the way I have seen hunter numbers dwindling, I'd hate to chase a guy away over a few thousandths of an inch.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you have a shotgun? People been hunting deer with shotguns in Ohio for many years and they do ok.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson."

The above is an old list.  But on all that I can find, your caliber is not listed.  I'd call the ODNR and ask, as some have already said.  It's likely they won't know or care enough to tell you no?  Its close enough for me, plus the way I have seen hunter numbers dwindling, I'd hate to chase a guy away over a few thousandths of an inch.
View Quote

There's no longer a list of approved calibers (thankfully). If the cartridge is a straight-walled within the below specs, you're golden.

Current reg reads:
Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have a shotgun? People been hunting deer with shotguns in Ohio for many years and they do ok.
View Quote

Indeed. Filled the freezer plenty well enough with my 12GA using Hornady SST sabots. That said, the AR is MUCH easier to wield, and climbing into my stand is much easier with a 2-point sling; versus and old shoulder sling.

Plus, the .450 is actually cheaper to per round than the Hornady SSTs I use to use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Whenever I find myself in scenarios like this I email ODNR or whatever applicable fish and game agency directly.

If the answer is that it’s ok, carry a copy of the email with you. That way if a warden stops you and has a different opinion, you can pull out a copy of the email. Calling them instead of emailing leaves you in a he said/she said situation. I’m no attorney but having an email from the agency saying “x” is permitted is a pretty good defense if I warden decides to be a dick.  

Ohio is a great deer hunting state btw. Not a ton of public land unfortunately, but good deer hunting can still be had on public ground, just have to get away from the easy to access places.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's no longer a list of approved calibers (thankfully). If the cartridge is a straight-walled within the below specs, you're golden.

Current reg reads:
Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
View Quote

Is a hunting handgun limited to 3 cartridges?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current reg reads:

Negative. AFAIK, no limit. When I've taken my 1911s out, mags a loaded to full capacity.

Current Regs:
Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger. The barrel is measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top