BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2021 12:32:45 AM EDT
Any of you guys in it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the quasi-military-like group that does not allow members to be armed at any meeting or deployment?

I have an acquaintance who is a member and wears the uniform on a regular basis. Seems like they mean well with doing occasional charity and community events. But they also come across as a bit odd. Almost like an adult boy scout group, only boy scouts get to carry pocket knives so they are better armed.

ETA: why do you ask?
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that the quasi-military-like group that does not allow members to be armed at any meeting or deployment?

I have an acquaintance who is a member and wears the uniform on a regular basis. Seems like they mean well with doing occasional charity and community events. But they also come across as a bit odd. Almost like an adult boy scout group, only boy scouts get to carry pocket knives so they are better armed.

ETA: why do you ask?
View Quote

Wanted some more information about it. Didn't know if we had any resident OMR guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, Ohio also has a navy, the Ohio Naval Militia.

http://navalmilitia.ohio.gov/
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in the OHMR from about 2005-2007 and went through their Officer Basic Course.  When I started, they were organized as Military Police.  Most of the members were well-meaning, but would otherwise not be eligible for military service (weight, medical, age, ect).  Members were required to buy their own uniforms and gear, so my wife derisively called it the "Man Scouts."

I left because the OHNG prohibited us from training with weapons and converted the unit to "shelter management."  That was something I could do as a non-uniformed Red Cross volunteer, so I saw no reason to stay there.  I joined the USAR and never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Those groups are boarder line stolen valor cases in my opinion. Bunch of 75 year old has beens, and generally anyone the real military would call a fat POS encompasses their ranks. If you have any self respect just about face and walk the other way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been a member since 2002. It is more "real" than it ever has been due to COVID, including ongoing operations with paid State level activations. It also has gone through a vast transformation with actual standards (PT, HT/WT, education, etc) and discipline. I have enjoyed it overall, though if I had to do it again, I would have gone OHARNG as I originally planned. I encourage you to talk to a recruiter if the other NG services don't fit you but you have a desire to serve.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top