Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2020 4:05:25 AM EDT
Write you state senators and oppose SB 179 which would reinstate the front plate requirement. In addition to the usual suspects, now they are getting the School bus drivers to lobby for this nanny state law. Every single state that borders Ohio does not require a front plate, and I do not hear them complaining of any problems, so why is this an issue for Ohio? God forbid we have a little bit of freedom in this state. This front plate elimination was supposed to be a compromise to the higher gas taxes we have to pay. If these nanny state do gooders get their way, not only will we have to pay higher gas taxes but we will still have to put front plates on our vehicles all the while the hollywood liberals will enjoy their tax breaks this F#$ state gives the motion picture industry.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-cuyahoga/local-school-bus-drivers-joint-fight-to-save-ohio-front-license-plates
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#1]
When was the front plate requirement taken away?

First I heard of this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly as predicted
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care about the front plate being required either, but the bullshit behind the tax increase and the removal saving state funds shenanigans should require the state to keep their part of the deal.

ie, if the sheriffs and troopers want the plate to come back take the costs out of their budgets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#5]
don't want the front plate
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#6]
How did law enforcement ever solve crimes before cameras and LPRs
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I'll be writing my reps to make sure they support dropping the front plate. That goes into effect in June? July?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I'll be writing my reps to make sure they support dropping the front plate. That goes into effect in June? July?
View Quote
Its supposed to go into effect July 1 2020. And of course it did not go in effect the typical 90 days like most laws when passed. This way the OSHP and the other naysayers can lobby to have it reinstated by pulling the "for the children" card.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When was the front plate requirement taken away?

First I heard of this.
View Quote
No kidding!  I heard that failed?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More went unsolved
Simple as that.
View Quote
I respect you shotar, and I hope you catch those assholes passing stopped school busses, but the front plate is bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

More went unsolved
Simple as that.
View Quote
Its not that more crimes were comitted, but more went unsolved.

Why is it that law enforcement officers are always the biggest statists?  I get the fact that they deal with the shit heads of society on a daily basis, but they have to remember not everyone is that way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I support front plates.  Makes it easier for my School bus cameras to catch bus passers.  I wrote 4 based upon driver observation along with camera footage since the first of the year.
View Quote
edit safe1~please be respectful in voicing your disagreement
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I support front plates.  Makes it easier for my School bus cameras to catch bus passers.  I wrote 4 based upon driver observation along with camera footage since the first of the year.
View Quote
Shotar, Im an LEO just like you. And guess what, I refuse to enforce the front plate law. Just like Ill refuse to enforce RFL's, UBC's, AWB's, Mag Bans etc. Tell me, why is it ok for every single person in a boarding state to drive through Ohio only required to have one plate, but me a tax paying resident of this state have to put front plate on my truck. I don't think so. Not going to happen. BTW I stop for buses. The same nanny state do gooders that support front plates are same type of California style control freaks that support all the gun control initiatives they want to ram down our throats all in the name of "safety" or "for the children".
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I find your argument rediculous. To equate front plates to rfl, awb or the like speaks to inexperience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shotar, Im an LEO just like you. And guess what, I refuse to enforce the front plate law. Just like Ill refuse to enforce RFL's, UBC's, AWB's, Mag Bans etc. Tell me, why is it ok for every single person in a boarding state to drive through Ohio only required to have one plate, but me a tax paying resident of this state have to put front plate on my truck. I don't think so. Not going to happen. BTW I stop for buses. The same nanny state do gooders that support front plates are same type of California style control freaks that support all the gun control initiatives they want to ram down our throats all in the name of "safety" or "for the children".
I find your argument rediculous. To equate front plates to rfl, awb or the like speaks to inexperience.
get ready to rumble!!!!

i would never put a front plate, don't like the holes in the front.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]
If they want to keep the front plate then fuck the tax.
The roads are not getting fixed anyway and if they get some work done it's shit in a year or two.

I came home to a note on the door to call the OHP. I did and they said I passed a school bus.
Turns out those dumb asses couldn't tell the difference between a St. and Ave. address.
I told them it's a good thing they don't raid houses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is one good thing that it is good for. I used to have to write down the plate numbers and fill out a form for the Highway Patrol to report them.

I had one that passed me at the same spot at the same time everyday. I am not sure the reports really made a difference. I can see the cameras though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks op emailed my senator.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Playing devils advocate:
1) Those buses that have cameras to grab runners, don't they have rear facing cameras as well that capture the rear tag?
2) The few times I've pulled footage for the police, a front plate requirement wouldn't have helped, as the thieves removed all plates, and I didn't get anything the cops didn't already have on these guys (photos of the two guys and a vehicle description).

While I can't really expect the registration fees to be reduced (though I wish they would) when the front plate is eliminated, I'm still not happy about the gas tax increase. At this point, if they bring back the front plate, they better not expect an increase in fees for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I get that some feel differently about it.  I am however left to wonder why??  Deep down I believe it's that they want to reduce their risk of being caught for something.  I also know that we have some that want to just argue on some sort of principle thing.
View Quote
I got a warning on my RX7 when I had my front plate in the windshield. Was a waste of 20 minutes of my lunch break. The reason I didn't put it on the bumper? I was't about to impede airflow to the oil cooler. I instead mounted it as far to the right as I could and it's now less visible than it was in the window, but hey, its on the bumper.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Just make it optional. Do gooders can put it on the front if they want it. I dont so I wont. I havent had mine on since June of last year when i had my car worked on after hitting a  animal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I got a ticket once just for not having a front plate. So to me it is just a money grab by law enforcement. Is that the biggest crime they need to worry about ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#28]
This arguement reminds me of the arguements that are had every time Ohio passes a chl law.  The anti gunners yell "blood will run in the streets".  And we pass the law and go about our business and 99% of the state doesnt know anything changed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They have both.  However it's not just bus passing.  I don't see fees being reduced by going to one plate.  As for the argument that ppl don't want to mess up their front bumper, I live in a border county.  It's rare that I don't see some sort of vanity ( usually Steelers ) plate on the front bumper of PA cars.

I get that some feel differently about it.  I am however left to wonder why??  Deep down I believe it's that they want to reduce their risk of being caught for something.  I also know that we have some that want to just argue on some sort of principle thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Playing devils advocate:
1) Those buses that have cameras to grab runners, don't they have rear facing cameras as well that capture the rear tag?
2) The few times I've pulled footage for the police, a front plate requirement wouldn't have helped, as the thieves removed all plates, and I didn't get anything the cops didn't already have on these guys (photos of the two guys and a vehicle description).

While I can't really expect the registration fees to be reduced (though I wish they would) when the front plate is eliminated, I'm still not happy about the gas tax increase. At this point, if they bring back the front plate, they better not expect an increase in fees for a long time.
They have both.  However it's not just bus passing.  I don't see fees being reduced by going to one plate.  As for the argument that ppl don't want to mess up their front bumper, I live in a border county.  It's rare that I don't see some sort of vanity ( usually Steelers ) plate on the front bumper of PA cars.

My wife's 2017 ( I think, its been sold) Jeep Grand Cherokee had no provision for a front plate and I had to drill holes in the bumper façade to mount a plate. That is pretty ridiculous. If you have a provision already than no biggie. Forcing people to drill holes in their brand new vehicle is pretty shitty.

Lastly, if one doesn't want a front plate doesn't mean they have criminal intent.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree with Shotar in that it’s a tool used by law enforcement. But it’s just that a tool. It aids in identifying vehicles before they’ve passed you. And it’s certainly easier to ready a plate coming at you than going away from you at 55 mph.  I have also used school bus cameras to identify people and cite them.  A few of those folks have told me they didn’t have to stop because the bus wasn’t completely stopped, or because it just turned it’s red light on.  Remember each and everyone of us is out there driving with those people....

Another poster pointed out how most people won’t know and we will all simply move on with our lives.  That’s true, as people are already removing or not putting the front plate on their car.  When I even mention it people get all hurt about it. “it’s not a law anymore” to which I explain “that’s incorrect, the law was indeed passed, however that provision doesn’t go into effect until July 1st, 2020”.  Then the argument and backpedaling starts.

My point is so many people don’t even know what the law is, yet will argue with you about their “freedoms”.  It’s more like “I want to be special and not have a front plate”.

It’s silly, and not related AWB’s and firearm rights. It’s a front license plate.

Get excited when you can take all the plates off your car and drive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm ok with keeping my front plate if they repeal the gas tax that was part of the deal.
Several coworkers have nice cars and have never had a front plate because of looks.
I lived in IN for 23 years, we didn't have front plates and I never had a vanity plate.

The bus drivers need to be educated how to use the yellow and red lights. Some turn the yellow on 200 yards before they stop, I keep slowing and slowing and finally drive past while they are still moving with lights on.

The next bus will flip the yellow on 20 feet before stopping when I am approaching at 55 mph, then flip the red when I am 2 feet away and didn't lockup my brakes to stop. They act like I am the one F*ing up.

Imagine if stop light yellow time varied by several hundred percent, no one would consider stopping or slowing seeing yellow. Half already don't,
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Sherlock Holmes never ever needed front license plate evidence to solve a case!

I don't get the argument that basically says we have to tag 9 million cars in the state to nab 140 criminals.  It just reeks of the old 'lets punish everyone because one person screws up.'
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I see the yellows come on, I stop.  If the buss passes me before turning on the reds, oh well.  I for sure am not going to pass the bus.
View Quote
It happens to me several times a day, I would get rear ended doing that on a state highway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#36]
At the end of the day, someone has an opinion they want to express.
Then we have a law, good or bad that can be enforced.

I don’t care much, but I’d prefer we keep them, I’m sure I’ll be flamed. Oh well, I simply don’t care if my opinion isn’t popular.

I’ve not cited anyone for not having one in a long time, even then it was in conjunction with other offenses. It’s a tool, no more, no less.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#37]
The arguement to keep front plates is based on school buses?
Twice a day, 9mths out of the year....well sign me up...and it pains me to think that 19 States have suffered for all these years without their front plates...
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#38]
No, it’s just one single example of how their used for enforcement purposes.

The thread took a turn.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No, it’s just one single example of how their used for enforcement purposes.

The thread took a turn.
View Quote
Just in case it was missed, I was being facetious.

Having lived in Indiana before Ohio, and being an Ex-Pat from London, England....I must say I much prefer not having to drill into the front bumper or grill to mount a front plate.

If the only arguement to keep them, is enforcement of passing stopped school buses, then get rid of them.
Been exposed to too much government overreach in my life, and no longer have to deface the front of my cars is small, but feels good all the same.

This to me is like the emissions testing that was forced on all counties except Preble. That never made sense to me, and was reminiscent of having to get an MOT....
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Like I said, I don't care about the front plate.

It's not about the front plate for most I think.

It's about a compromise with the state that included citizens giving more tax funds and the state loosening it's grip on some silly freedom.

Now the state wants to take their side of the deal back.

Soon they'll want more tax revenue as the money saved from not requiring the front plate won't be there.

If law enforcement thinks the front plate is a valuable tool, then take the funds out of their current budgets to get it done.

I bet if the choice is body armor, training, new vehicles, raises, benefits, etc. vs. front plates required for all OH drivers, the useful tool won't be considered so useful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#42]
You know, Shotar, I’ve pondered this a bit this morning.  I’ve got a 36 hour three day weekend to work.

How about I stop and cite every no front plate vehicle I see. It still a law after all, and I’m being paid to enforce the law so......

Redy, set,.......
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Double tap, I must be getting excited.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I could not care less about the plate on the front of my car, but I'd like to see police cite people that think its ok to put the license plates in their windows, or obscure them with oversized frames, and people with the clear covers that aren't clear.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I could not care less about the plate on the front of my car, but I'd like to see police cite people that think its ok to put the license plates in their windows, or obscure them with oversized frames, and people with the clear covers that aren't clear.
View Quote
I will stop for covers that obscure via being opaque, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sherlock Holmes never ever needed front license plate evidence to solve a case!

I don't get the argument that basically says we have to tag 9 million cars in the state to nab 140 criminals.  It just reeks of the old 'lets punish everyone because one person screws up.'
View Quote
Thats because certain LEO types on here have that exact kind of "punish everyone" mentality. Yet they fail to show any statistics in the difference in crime or criminal apprehension from the 19 other states that don't require a front plate, which includes EVERY STATE that surrounds Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#47]
My senator replied that she is against reinstating the front plate!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I have both plates on my daily drivers but refuse to ruin the looks and block cooling on my 850HP ZL1. Before that car, a 2013 Z06 and before that a 700HP pro street style 48 coupe. All of them are pretty high dollar toys that are show/garage queens and are rarely out other than on Sunday afternoon. These play cars don't see more than 500 miles a year so I guess I'll take my chances.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your post makes no sense. Its not as if police are solving crimes on behalf of themselves. It is not a zero sum game.
View Quote
No, I am talking about the excuse to keep the front plate from LE about being a useful tool to solve crime.

It might be useful, but is it useful enough to justify the cost?

If that is the case, then the $$ amount the removal would have saved should be removed from the budget of OSP, county SOs, and other LE agencies receiving those state funds and placed in the road improvement budget.

It should be a zero sum game, but it won't; they'll just raise the gas tax again, or the license fees, or both.

Everyone saw this from the beginning with the extra delay to take effect, it's bullshit and they need to be called out for it to keep them in check.

So yes, it's not about the front plate. It's about the bullshit behind it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top