User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will stop for covers that obscure via being opaque, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could not care less about the plate on the front of my car, but I'd like to see police cite people that think its ok to put the license plates in their windows, or obscure them with oversized frames, and people with the clear covers that aren't clear.
I will stop for covers that obscure via being opaque, etc.
did you use to be a cop for New Rome?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I guess it makes perfect sense unless its your burglar that didn't get caught.
View Quote
I'll take my chances.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
did you use to be a cop for New Rome?
View Quote
Negative
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I guess it makes perfect sense unless its your burglar that didn't get caught.
View Quote
That's a good one!

My brother was the last burglary victim I knew.

Cops showed up, asked if he had insurance; when he said he did they said ok great and left.

Didn't take photos, didn't ask neighbors if they'd seen or heard anything, didn't try to get prints off anything, and for damn sure didn't use front plate info for anything.

Again it's not about the plate, just like Obamacare isn't about pre-exisiting conditions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Given the penalties for bus passing, I'd rather risk getting rear ended.
View Quote
This is 55 mph, most are going more than that. I saw a car get rear ended, it was in the other lane going other direction, I was behind bus.
It ended up a four car piel up, but the first car was the only one seriously injured. I'm sure they would have preferred a ticket, and I'm sure that would have been cheaper.

Seems a better solution would be my first post, train the bus drivers to be consistent.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#8]
While I have to agree that the bus drivers should be somewhat consistent, society, and the head up their rear drivers will never be.

And as Shotar just noted, cameras help solve a lot of crimes. It’s not perfect, their not the end all, but like I said before. It’s just another tool in the tool box that L.E. can possibly use to identify things.

But in the end our law makers will decide and we will have or not have a law to enforce.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
You would be surprised how many hit-skip crashes are solved by dumb-asses hitting something and leaving their front bumper behind. Last week there was a drunk that blocked the roadway with a power pole he knocked over and left the scene. Identified because the genius left his front bumper (and plate) behind.

*ETA* I've stopped for it, but usually because they had no front and their back was obscured by something, but never cited for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Still not seen a valid arguement to keep front plates. If anything, they all read like a Toby Hoover one liner....
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Then you didn’t read the thread and think about how it’s a tool.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
We should probably have plate numbers on top of our cars, too. Safety and all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We should probably have plate numbers on top of our cars, too. Safety and all.
View Quote
Don't forget the sides too. Im sure some of the naysayers on here would be all for it. Say its for the children and call it another "tina's law". OSHP would be all for it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Then you didn’t read the thread and think about how it’s a tool.
View Quote
Again, a tool only used by 31 States?

So far, school buses was the only halfway decent reason to have them, but that would only be for 9months of the year, twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The other part of the "get rid of them" argument is that they were in fact removed, under a combined agreement to save money while charging us more for fuel. Renig on one part, why not repeal the law in its entirety too. Make the state start over fighting for more money, cause they have to fix the budget anyways if the add the plate back into the mix.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You missed the other crimes solved too.  Like burglaries, and various other stuff.
View Quote
Be interested in seeing the stats on crimes solved in front plate States, to those 19 that choose not to have front plates.

In reality, like the over abundance of cameras in the UK, 14 to every person when I left in the 90s, which are reactive, as they do not deter crime in anyway.

With that said, we know that front plates are not a deterrent, only assist in possibly solving crimes, which I would say the numbers are low.

Anyway, as many have stated, this was a compromise, the State gets to increase taxes and we get rid of the front plate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone try those supposed laser defeating covers or sprays?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I truly don't understand why people get upset over it.  If the price to register your vehicle stays the same, why care if you have to have one plate or two?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If they want to keep the front plate then fuck the tax.
The roads are not getting fixed anyway and if they get some work done it's shit in a year or two.

I came home to a note on the door to call the OHP. I did and they said I passed a school bus.
Turns out those dumb asses couldn't tell the difference between a St. and Ave. address.
I told them it's a good thing they don't raid houses.
View Quote
they do
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
What are you trying to defeat a laser for?  If it’s a speed laser your out of luck.  Bouncing a laser off a car isn’t just about hitting the plate.

If you post was leaning towards the covers with anti-camera technology then you have some options.  I will however tell you that some of them make the plate difficult to read with the naked eye, and thus becomes probable cause for a stop.

Quoted:
Anyone try those supposed laser defeating covers or sprays?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm truly surprised by how worked up some people get about this.  It's a piece of metal affixed to my vehicle.  I guess if I had a preference it would be for rear only but on my list of things to stress about it doesn't even register.

The only reason I even have a preference is that the front one tends to get crusty, rusty, and nasty a lot quicker than the rear.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I truly don't understand why people get upset over it.  If the price to register your vehicle stays the same, why care if you have to have one plate or two?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm truly surprised by how worked up some people get about this.  It's a piece of metal affixed to my vehicle.  I guess if I had a preference it would be for rear only but on my list of things to stress about it doesn't even register.

The only reason I even have a preference is that the front one tends to get crusty, rusty, and nasty a lot quicker than the rear.
I don't want to drill holes in my bumper, don't want to disrupt airflow to my engine, don't like how ugly it looks
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't want to drill holes in my bumper, don't want to disrupt airflow to my engine, don't like how ugly it looks
View Quote
Those seem like valid reasons to prefer no front plate.  Please understand I'm not criticizing.  I get the aesthetic argument for sure.

Honest question:  How much is airflow disrupted by a front plate?  I guess it depends on the design of the vehicle but it seems to me that unless it's sitting in front of a specifically placed and designed scoop the air would just flow around the plate and into the engine compartment wouldn't it?

ETA:  I guess I was just surprised by this being a hot-button issue for some.  It makes sense to me though if you have a high end or performance car now that I think about it.  Those are problems I'm not lucky enough to have...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#27]
For a car that isn't designed for a front plate and does not have a bracket, it's just one more hassle and expense
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Those seem like valid reasons to prefer no front plate.  Please understand I'm not criticizing.  I get the aesthetic argument for sure.

Honest question:  How much is airflow disrupted by a front plate?  I guess it depends on the design of the vehicle but it seems to me that unless it's sitting in front of a specifically placed and designed scoop the air would just flow around the plate and into the engine compartment wouldn't it?

ETA:  I guess I was just surprised by this being a hot-button issue for some.  It makes sense to me though if you have a high end or performance car now that I think about it.  Those are problems I'm not lucky enough to have...
View Quote
In my case, 2012 Camaro ZL1, the car is factory equipped with a supercharger which has a intercooler. When adding boost above the factory levels, a larger aftermarket cooler is added as well as ducting to move as much air as possible thru it. The front plate would seriously affect that air flow.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Career local LE. Front plates suck.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top