Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 2:01:52 PM EDT
As of January 1, 2011, if you're driving a vehicle over 10,000 GVRW with commercial plates, you will be required to have a physical similar to a CDL (commercial drivers license) holder, and will be subject to random inspections.  I work for a utility company;  a co-worker was driving a ford F450 with an altec bucket system on board.  He was pulled over today, and given a courtesy warning, stating that next year the requirements change.

This pertains to landscapers, utility workers, tradesmen etc.  Ask the right questions of your employer, or research the law if you're self employed.  From the OSP's point of view, the driver is responsible.  I personally haven't seen any info on this yet.  I'm sure I'll be covered by my employer, and I can post details if anyone's interested.

Molon Labe
Bigohio  

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Michigan already has this in place, the company we use for our Truck breakdowns just got popped in Michigan for no Physical Card, guess they went in effect early this year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Just another law slapped on the books to give the OSHP an excuse to pull you over.  Its the little shit like this is why people and buisnesses are leaving Ohio.  

G$d I hate this state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
As a Trooper here in Ohio, I agree.  We can hardly keep track of the laws b/c they are changing so fast.  I don't understand who sponsors these bills or why.  They don't make the road safer, neither the state nor the patrol gets the fine money, the companies don't like it, and the driver's don't like it.  Who wins?
The only things I can think or, and I don't know this to be the case, but we have seen a plethora of dumb changes in our law and procedure b/c of the carrot and stick approach of the Feds.  "If you want access to this money, then you need a law that does x, y, or z."  We need some some State officials with some back bone for a change.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Our politicians preach about the same old crap....taxes and jobs, taxes and jobs, taxes and jobs,.......great fine....... but if you really want to attract people and buisnesses to this state then they need to do away these micky mouse restrictions such as driver license requirements, e-check, not being able to go 70 on the freeways, fees on small buisnesses, state EPA regs, having to put 2 plates on your car, atv registration, smoking bans, training requirements for CCW ect ect (this list goes on in the hundreds if not thousands).  Hell I cant even shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July in Ohio without breaking the law.  All these restrictions add up to make this state a really shitty place to live.  Something that both democrats and republicans in this state do no get.  For every law that repealed you have 100 more put on the books.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Just what we need.

Ohio continues it's fantastic job of making life even harder and more miserable for businesses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad's friend owns a towing company I help him out sometimes by taking calls and doing things when he's out of town.  Now even though I don't work there full time or even at a consistent rate I still have to go get a physical and shit just to keep helping him out.  This and the ATV plates thing along with this http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=413469 really pisses me off!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I just spoke to my state rep regarding this issue, actually his aid.  This was buried in last years transportation bill, that I never even knew of.  A diabetic can drive a large Ford or Chevy utility truck for farming, or hauling wood.  But if he drives that same truck with a company's name on the side, he could lose his job.  Stupid.  

My employer is so big, they'll lay people off to cover the cost of compliance.

Meh,,..  democrats.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
i googled for a source for this with no luck.  can anyone cite a source?

thanks
caspian
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
My state rep's aid will be getting back to me with all the info.  He has in the past on other issues.  I do know it was the "transportation bill" passed by the state of Ohio last year.  When I get the info, I'll post it hear.  

bigohio

Edit; 26Jun10

I got a call from my state reps office today.  This was not a part of last years transportation bill, and he is thinking it is federal legislation.  I should hear something by weeks end.

bigohio
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top